ForestRed

Cracked shower wall Bailey Pegasus 534

Hoping for a bit of advise here!

As the title says the shower wall has cracked at first it was just hairline cracks  approx half way up starting near the bottom & just visible but I pressed it and its cracked properly now!!

I will get it replaced as soon as my mobile guy can get to do it ( he's understandably busy at this time), but we are going away shortly and need to get it patched up till it can be replaced.  

So the question is can anyone recommend something to stick over the cracks temporarily?  I've thought about using 3 or 4 lengths of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/KaLaiXing-Waterproof-Self-Adhesive-Decorative-Trim-white/dp/B072SNGH6R/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=White+flexible+plastic+self+adhesive&qid=15557 its 38mm wide so 3 strips would be wide enough to cover the area of cracking, I am thinking the crease would allow it to be able to follow the contour of the radius on the shower wall. I would use sikaflex to stick it to the wall and silicon where the strips meet.

What do you think, good or bad idea or any suggestions most welcome.

Regards 

“Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure”

Yes it’s a real product, and it works. It’s not for large gap cracks but it will deal with those bigger than hairline. It might take several applications.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Captain-Tolleys-Creeping-Crack-Cure-Sealant-60ml-CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-BOAT/322512805440?epid=1048738179&hash=item4b1742de40:g:nBgAAOSwRoZZh4Xk

Andy

Thanks for reply, not heard of that & looking at it not sure it would do the job. There are a lot of hairline cracks & the one that's gone right through the wall. The cracks cover an area approx half way up from the bottom and approx 100mm wide so would literally have to paint it on over that area.

Paul 

21 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

“Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure”

Yes it’s a real product, and it works. It’s not for large gap cracks but it will deal with those bigger than hairline. It might take several applications.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Captain-Tolleys-Creeping-Crack-Cure-Sealant-60ml-CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-BOAT/322512805440?epid=1048738179&hash=item4b1742de40:g:nBgAAOSwRoZZh4Xk

Andy

It works well, have used it several times on boats, as Andy says you might have to have a couple of goes on the larger cracks, failing that look at sikaflex, again a good sealant.

good luck

martin

We had the same problem on our Peg 462 except it was half way up the corner.

My solution (as we were in France) was to get a roll of Glazing Tape (Scotch as it happened) and some meths. I very very carefully and gently wiped the whole area with meths on some kitchen roll and left it to dry. Then I gently warmed the area around and below and above the crack. Finally I cut a length of the tape well longer than the crack, held it vertically alongside the crack, touched the edge farthest from the crack to the wall and very gently rolled the tape across the crack. I repeated the same from the other side, and now having effectively strengthened the structure I rolled one across the middle and one each across the top and bottom horizontally. It was still perfectly sound weeks later when we got home despite having towed it probably 1500 miles around France!

We had the wall replaced (nearly £300 inc labour) and it was distinctly noticeable that the replacement was significantly thicker than the original. Bailey cutting corners on cost again no doubt?

Will look at the glazing tape. The cracks are same as yours, in the corner. Some friends had a Unicorn 1 which had the same problem, makes you wonder!

Paul 

Nothing at all to wonder about, the shower lining is clearly not fit for purpose. The continuing failure of the same item is all the proof you need.

I would be hammering for a new one out of Bailey rather than paying for it myself.

Andy

A major reason why I always don't buy into the idea of toilets that require foot traffic walking on the shower tray .

My German motorhome came with a wooden tread board in the shower which stops any sliding and spreads the weight .

If you use bond then white Sikaflex  221 is what I use the bond awning rails on the side with no screws .

Dave