Sign in to follow this  
logiesean64

Fleetwood 2000 550es

I've screwed up big time, the whole front of the caravan has dry rot 😭😩. Only noticed when we started to clean the caravan head to toe. Half way down the widow frames are shot also below all the front windows. This is border lining on a right off isn't it?. 

I'm totally gutted. 😭😢😩

I've contacted the previous owner and there not interested what's so ever, he said he never noticed it. And me being a total newb didn't either. Tried to return caravan, again he's not interested, said it was sold as seen in the (which it never). Looks like I'm going to be out of pocket unless I can figure out how to repair it. Luckily I have a few close friends who are joiners.. 

What's people's opinion on here. Is it repairable or not. I can swing a hammer and use a saw 😊

Sean 

IMG_20190420_112558-800x600.jpg

IMG_20190420_110329-800x600.jpg

IMG_20190420_110326-800x600.jpg

Have a go yourself, then at least once its fixed you know it will last.

There are several places that do wall board, your just going to have match as best as you can. There's not going to be much on show after the curtains and cushions are in place.

Take it all apart carefully and your joiner friends should be able to help, you may find more damp tough.

Its got to be better than losing the money you paid for it.

Good luck 

And take photo's.

First of all, it is not dry rot !!

It is water damage over a long period of time.

It is certainly a project if you decide to attempt it, but the first thing you need to do is find out where the water is getting in and sort that out.

What you can actually see is just the tip of the problem.

Once you start stripping out the damaged stuff you will find that the damage is much more, but not as apparent at the moment.

Well I gave it a go to repair  the damage. The water was coming in  the joint on the outer skin of the caravan on the window piller which had separated, on further investigation the whole front up to that joint had separated from the wooden framework!! At this point I nearly threw the towel in, sick to my stomach 😞😞👀.  The front was just flopping about. Anyways I did manage to repair the damage slowly but surely. And I'm happy as Larry with the end result. All wood below the window was replace, lots of measurements and photos were taken. 😊

IMG_20190421_110435-800x600.jpg

IMG_20190421_110458-800x600.jpg

IMG_20190501_204909-800x600.jpg

IMG_20190503_184828-800x600.jpg

IMG_20190503_184854-800x600.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like you've done a cracking job.

Awesome.

He was having us on.....not really fazed at all!😁

Great sense of self achievement  well earned I'd say.

Well done.

GB.

Yeh, I was a tad overwhelmed to start with then just got stuck in 😊. Chuffed on how it all turned out.

Ended up having to make a new fixed bed today, noticed a smell coming off it this morning that I hadn't noticed before. So I bonded to sheets of chipboard together.... Job done 👍😊

Thanks all 

IMG_20190511_154326-600x800.jpg