Quoted Caravan Length

Hi, I am new to caravans, expecting to pick up my first one a Compass Casita 840 in July. When looking at making a site booking the dimensions of the caravan are needed. What I am doing sure about is what length to quote? The brochure says the caravan is 6.95m Exterior Body Length, however Shipping Length is 8.05m (assume this includes the A Frame?) . So for site booking purposes what is the length of my caravan. Apologies if this is a silly question but have looked and cannot find an answer on-line. Don’t want to turn up at a site and be told I have given incorrect figures. Thanks John 😀

It is the shipping length they need.

And welcome.

Ian

• Like 1

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Because the campsite will want to know whether the caravan will fit on to the pitch it's always the shipping length that they are interested in.

• Like 1

It's the shipping length - there's no point in them knowing the body length if there's still over a metre of A frame sticking out

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

8 minutes ago, matelodave said:

It's the shipping length - there's no point in them knowing the body length if there's still over a metre of A frame sticking out

Thanks, when you know you know, when you don’t you don’t. 

2 minutes ago, connorefc said:

Thanks, when you know you know, when you don’t you don’t. 

No such thing as a daft question, only a fool who fails to ask it!

Andy

Oh, and welcome to the forum as well !!

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

And with a caravan of that size having a motor mover is pretty well essential.

Also make sure your towing vehicle is big enough for the job, and take care over your licence if you passed you test after 1/1/97.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

39 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

And with a caravan of that size having a motor mover is pretty well essential.

Also make sure your towing vehicle is big enough for the job, and take care over your licence if you passed you test after 1/1/97.

Landrover Defender 90 is what it says on his profile, doesn't say what year though.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Regardless of what year the Defender is, its kerbweight is probably equal to or even less than the MTPLM of the caravan, so one would have to take it very easy, especially as it's the OP's first caravan.

Edited by Lutz
33 minutes ago, Doosan said:

Landrover Defender 90 is what it says on his profile, doesn't say what year though.

It is a 2006 TD5 90, checked on Towcar info and with the dealer both say it will be ok.  Appreciate the comments on taking it easy, that will definitely be the case 😉.  I passed my driving test over 35 years ago. I am going  to have a motor mover fitted do not fancy trying to reverse it onto a pitch. Thinking of a Powrtouch Evolution, I have read on the site that although caravan a twin axle a single axle mover will be fine.? I will have a roof box to keep 75kg of stuff and will have my tool box and dogs in the back. Should help with the weight distribution between both. Appreciate all the comments, advice and welcomes.

Think I have found a really good source of help on this site. You will all be fed up with my questions soon 😀

A caravan of that size and weight could be difficult to manoeuvre with a single motor each side. Twin axle trailers resist turning so extra motive power is needed.  It would be an expensive error to buy a single axle unit and then change it.

Edited by Ern
  • Like 1

Ern

38 minutes ago, Ern said:

A caravan of that size and weight could be difficult to manoeuvre with a single motor each side. Twin axle trailers resist turning so extra motive power is needed.  It would be an expensive error to buy a single axle unit and then change it.

Agree with all that but know a couple of people who use single movers on rear axle and extend the jockey wheel so as to reduce traction from the forward axle.  I believe that approach may work but will still be putting extra strain (not under warranty?) on the single mover.

Edited by SamD
  • Like 1

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

We use a single powrtouch mover on the rear axle of our TA.  Does everything I ask of it with no bother at all just take it gently same as you would manoeuvring the van with your tug. Having watched AWD motors tearing the tyres off and winding up the suspension on a couple of occasions I wouldn’t fit AWD anyway. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, connorefc said:

It is a 2006 TD5 90, checked on Towcar info and with the dealer both say it will be ok.  Appreciate the comments on taking it easy, that will definitely be the case 😉.  I passed my driving test over 35 years ago. I am going  to have a motor mover fitted do not fancy trying to reverse it onto a pitch. Thinking of a Powrtouch Evolution, I have read on the site that although caravan a twin axle a single axle mover will be fine.? I will have a roof box to keep 75kg of stuff and will have my tool box and dogs in the back. Should help with the weight distribution between both. Appreciate all the comments, advice and welcomes.

Think I have found a really good source of help on this site. You will all be fed up with my questions soon 😀

We have the Buccaneer which is about the same length.  Initially we had a single Evo auto engage but big issues with turning the caravan on some sites so we upgraded to the AWD motor mover.  It cost extra but was well worth every penny!  Think very carefully before deciding!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, connorefc said:

… When looking at making a site booking the dimensions of the caravan are needed … So for site booking purposes what is the length of my caravan.

:welcome:John, if you are booking on-line with either of the main clubs, it tells you that it is the total/shipping length which is required …

CMC -

image.png.73a6c0bdb3aa3d1230ebfdb70f41fbb1.png

C&CC -

image.thumb.png.75044321f9998643f566ecf1bb0587ae.png

John

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

We use a single powrtouch mover on the rear axle of our TA.  Does everything I ask of it with no bother at all just take it gently same as you would manoeuvring the van with your tug. Having watched AWD motors tearing the tyres off and winding up the suspension on a couple of occasions I wouldn’t fit AWD anyway. 

+1

and there is a big weight saving!

Edited by bubble2015
more info added

Had a single axle mover on a van years ago and changed it to 4wd never looked back. Next 2 vans also had 4wd.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.