Sign in to follow this  
Silverback

Unicorn 4 electric hob rusting ...

Anyone else have their electric Thetford hob rusting 🙄

No, but we don't use it. Far too slow,mrs prefers gas!

Previus van was 4 yeas old no rust on it. Used once if I recall.

• Like 2

Did you ever 'season' the hotplates and do it regularly?  (Or, like me, have you never heard of the concept before now?)  https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/cleaning-maintenance/4075-cleaning-electric-hobs

Must say we miss the 800W electric element from our Ace caravan (used to boil the kettle), and never saw any rust in the 5 years we owned it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Silverback said:

Anyone else have their electric Thetford hob rusting 🙄

I wonder where the moisture is coming from.

7 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Did you ever 'season' the hotplates and do it regularly?  (Or, like me, have you never heard of the concept before now?)  https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/cleaning-maintenance/4075-cleaning-electric-hobs

Must say we miss the 800W electric element from our Ace caravan (used to boil the kettle), and never saw any rust in the 5 years we owned it.

Nothing in the owners manual 🤔

7 hours ago, WispMan said:

I wonder where the moisture is coming from.

Vans dry as a bone.. Water crystals of winter hardly filled it's container with water 👍

20 hours ago, Silverback said:

Nothing in the owners manual 🤔

Our U3 hot plate is rust free from new,  primed and seasoned.

U3 Owners Manual advises:

Before using your hotplate for the first time,
we recommend that you prime and season it.
To prime the hotplate
Switch on the hotplate for a short period,
without a pan, to harden and burn off the
coating. Use a medium to high setting for 3–5
minutes. A non-toxic smoke may occur during
this process. Allow it to cool, then season.

To season the hotplate
First heat the hotplate for 30 seconds on a
medium setting, and then switch off. Pour a
minimal amount of unsalted vegetable oil onto
a clean dry cloth or paper towel, and apply a
thin coat of oil to the hotplate surface. Wipe
off any excess oil, then heat the hotplate on
a medium setting for 1 minute. Occasional
seasoning will help to maintain the hotplate’s
appearance.

• Like 1

same here - primed per handbook info, 4 years old, gets used to boil the kettle (fairly infrequently as we've got a coffee machine) and not a speck of rust after four years and probably 300+ nights away.

8 hours ago, Toein said:

Our U3 hot plate is rust free from new,  primed and seasoned.

U3 Owners Manual advises:

Before using your hotplate for the first time,
we recommend that you prime and season it.
To prime the hotplate
Switch on the hotplate for a short period,
without a pan, to harden and burn off the
coating. Use a medium to high setting for 3–5
minutes. A non-toxic smoke may occur during
this process. Allow it to cool, then season.

To season the hotplate
First heat the hotplate for 30 seconds on a
medium setting, and then switch off. Pour a
minimal amount of unsalted vegetable oil onto
a clean dry cloth or paper towel, and apply a
thin coat of oil to the hotplate surface. Wipe
off any excess oil, then heat the hotplate on
a medium setting for 1 minute. Occasional
seasoning will help to maintain the hotplate’s
appearance.

I'll pass this on to the wife ...  So basically spill some oil on it and happy days 😂  So are you saying that not complying with this "Priming session" it will cause rust on the plate ? .... 

Edited by Silverback

9 hours ago, Silverback said:

I'll pass this on to the wife ...  So basically spill some oil on it and happy days 😂  So are you saying that not complying with this "Priming session" it will cause rust on the plate ? .... 

Update .. Mentioned the priming of the plate to the wife over dinner & she instantly shot me down.. She had primed it as per  user manual . Medium setting for 3-5mins to burn off residual & smell. That's it nothing else or about using oil. (See image)IMG_20190422_084657466.thumb.jpg.ad254eea95c3d521611db618ba123a01.jpg

Edited by Silverback

16 hours ago, Silverback said:

So are you saying that not complying with this "Priming session" it will cause rust on the plate ? .... 

Yes.....Even if the hob was primed and seasoned from new and never re-oiled again, eventually with use the oil would  burn off then rusting  is inevitable.  I re-oil ours periodically when I think about it, no rust issues. 

2 hours ago, Toein said:

Yes.....Even if the hob was primed and seasoned from new and never re-oiled again, eventually with use the oil would  burn off then rusting  is inevitable.  I re-oil ours periodically when I think about it, no rust issues. 

What about if I coat it with 5W30 C4 after every cooking event ... Would that suffice but obviously not mentioned in the caravan manual😉.

Probably not, but it might be worth considering wiping it over with a dry paper towel rather than a soggy wet dishcloth and leaving it wet enough to go rusty

44 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Probably not, but it might be worth considering wiping it over with a dry paper towel rather than a soggy wet dishcloth and leaving it wet enough to go rusty

You presume to much ...  😂

16 hours ago, Silverback said:

What about if I coat it with 5W30 C4 after every cooking event ... Would that suffice but obviously not mentioned in the caravan manual😉.

Prime  and Season using unsalted vegetable oil as advised U3 Manual, I posted above.

or

Do as your manual advises, leave it to rust....complain to Bailey

Edited by Toein

12 hours ago, Toein said:

Prime  and Season using unsalted vegetable oil as advised U3 Manual, I posted above.

or

Do as your manual advises, leave it to rust....complain to Bailey

With respect ..that's a silly post.  There's nothing in the manual anywhere to indicate that regular  oiling of the plate is required.  It's almost as bad as the wet jay cloth syndrome. 🤣🤣

9 hours ago, Silverback said:

With respect ..that's a silly post.  There's nothing in the manual anywhere to indicate that regular  oiling of the plate is required.  It's almost as bad as the wet jay cloth syndrome. 🤣🤣

With respect ..that's a silly post.......And yours aren't :rolleyes: 

Obviously wasted my time trying to help.

10 hours ago, Toein said:

With respect ..that's a silly post.......And yours aren't :rolleyes: 

Obviously wasted my time trying to help.

It doesn't list oiling the plate at all in the caravan manual but just preheating the plate before use to burn off production residue.  So I can't see why the problem is directed or hinted at miss use with the owner.  Why does everyone try to make excuses for poor products.  You may as well say to always store the caravan undercover to prevent water ingress ...  Thanks for the advice👍

1 hour ago, Silverback said:

It doesn't list oiling the plate at all in the caravan manual but just preheating the plate before use to burn off production residue.  So I can't see why the problem is directed or hinted at miss use with the owner.  Why does everyone try to make excuses for poor products.  You may as well say to always store the caravan undercover to prevent water ingress ...  Thanks for the advice👍

… I checked ours this afternoon, and the advice is different between the Bailey manual, and the cooker manual, which covers the seasoning process

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

… I checked ours this afternoon, and the advice is different between the Bailey manual, and the cooker manual, which covers the seasoning process

Watched a vid of how to re-season spun pans.  Think I'll try it but not before I get some info from Bailey on there instruction manual.

As the warranty of the cooker is with Thetford rather than Bailey, we intend to follow Thetford instructions...

12 hours ago, Silverback said:

Watched a vid of how to re-season spun pans.  Think I'll try it but not before I get some info from Bailey on there instruction manual.

Bailey's instruction manual is full of errors, I tend to read individual manual supplied with a new caravan. Good luck  with trying to get information from Bailey

Edited by oldboy
  • Thanks 1