Silverback

Chronic brake squeal again...

Well after two modifications, with the last one being the final solution .. guess what it's back. As well as being totally embarrassing but n crawling traffic, I'm not a happy chappy ūüė°ūüė°¬†

Not sure what modifications you've had done to your van, but our year old Unicorn Cadiz S4 is back at the dealers at the moment for a brake fix along with a couple of other snags. Apparently it is having new drums and shoes fitted. Our brakes havent squeaked or squealed as bad as others have ( like our friends Vigo) but we were told that there is now a recall for the work to be done.

17 minutes ago, SteveM796 said:

Not sure what modifications you've had done to your van, but our year old Unicorn Cadiz S4 is back at the dealers at the moment for a brake fix along with a couple of other snags. Apparently it is having new drums and shoes fitted. Our brakes havent squeaked or squealed as bad as others have ( like our friends Vigo) but we were told that there is now a recall for the work to be done.

It had the shoes chamfered & cuts across the shoes to disperse dust. It just been serviced and had one new brake drum fitted. Not because of the squeel but due to the cast not right on the edge of the drum... German engineering aye ūü§£.¬† I'll contact AL-KO, Bailey & the dealer because this is totally unacceptable.

Hope you sort your problem. Our friends Vigo has been looked at twice to deal with the problem and I believe the last time 'Copperslip' or similar was used. It worked for a couple of days :rolleyes:.

Posted (edited)

We had the same issue along with a couple of attempted fixes, as the axle was replaced we no long have squeal.

Axle replaced due to failure & overloading not because of the sqeal.

Edited by a18041967

I always find my brakes squeal when they need a clean and have a build up of dust but can also be effected by the brake material being to hard .

Perhaps a change of make shoe would make a difference ?

Dave

Hi, sorry to hear, also got two t shirts on this one - Alko 2017 /18 axle. Did start a post last year.

Was on with this same issue 12 months ago which was early days for the problem.

Alko at least were fully up to speed on this subject by last Autumn 18 and seem to have accepted responsibility.

On our 2nd Alko bits fix Dealer did as told and fitted new old style drums, new spec shoes & put Alko superlube on certain points following the Alko fix bulletin instructions issued to the dealers.

Since 2nd fix the slow speed squealing has gone - 4,500 miles to date.

Seems change of supplier, sub standard shoes causing scored drums & also poor lube has caused it.

I feel that maybe your dealer has perhaps only done half of the job that Alko recommend because it should have fixed it.

NB No out of pocket expenses are payable for your hassle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

PerhapÔĽŅs a change of make shoe woÔĽŅuld make a difference ?ÔĽŅ

I believe this is part of the fix. I was told (how true I don't know)  that part of the problem was caused by brake shoes that had a high metal content. 

7 hours ago, montesa said:

Hi, sorry to hear, also got two t shirts on this one - Alko 2017 /18 axle. Did start a post last year.

Was on with this same issue 12 months ago which was early days for the problem.

Alko at least were fully up to speed on this subject by last Autumn 18 and seem to have accepted responsibility.

On our 2nd Alko bits fix Dealer did as told and fitted new old style drums, new spec shoes & put Alko superlube on certain points following the Alko fix bulletin instructions issued to the dealers.

Since 2nd fix the slow speed squealing has gone - 4,500 miles to date.

Seems change of supplier, sub standard shoes causing scored drums & also poor lube has caused it.

I feel that maybe your dealer has perhaps only done half of the job that Alko recommend because it should have fixed it.

NB No out of pocket expenses are payable for your hassle.

Thanks for this info .. I'll get onto the dealer & AL-KO after Easter ūüĎć

Had shoes changed 2 weeks ago on our laser, sorry to report they are worse than ever now!!!

Mark

13 hours ago, mark68 said:

Had shoes changed 2 weeks ago on our laser, sorry to report they are worse than ever now!!!

Mark

Not surprised mark68. If you have a 2017 / 18 Alko axle like mine then the Alko bulletin seems to say new shoes + new (old style drums) + lube to specific points. We had new shoes fitted & a full clean out on part one repair - no change within 500 metres !

More reading on this subject & 62 replies from post started 3/6/18 - enjoy !

On 19/04/2019 at 20:45, Silverback said:

It had the shoes chamfered & cuts across the shoes to disperse dust. It just been serviced and had one new brake drum fitted. Not because of the squeel but due to the cast not right on the edge of the drum... German engineering aye ūü§£.¬† I'll contact AL-KO, Bailey & the dealer because this is totally unacceptable.

No, you contact the DEALER only. Your contract is with the dealer and it is their responsibility to resolve the problem with or without help from the manufacturer. If they cannot or refuse to resolve it on a caravan still under warranty you have the right to reject it.

7 hours ago, montesa said:

Not surprised mark68. If you have a 2017 / 18 Alko axle like mine then the Alko bulletin seems to say new shoes + new (old style drums) + lube to specific points. We had new shoes fitted & a full clean out on part one repair - no change within 500 metres !

More reading on this subject & 62 replies from post started 3/6/18 - enjoy !

Montessa, thanks for the link, just had a good read, it doesn't sound good, in fact almost as bad as the brakes !!!

Mark

10 hours ago, Woodentop said:

No, you contact the DEALER only. Your contract is with the dealer and it is their responsibility to resolve the problem with or without help from the manufacturer. If they cannot or refuse to resolve it on a caravan still under warranty you have the right to reject it.

With respect I know who my contract is with re my posts a long while back. I will be contacting my dealer, Bailey Lesuire & AL-KO over this issue.¬† ¬†Simples ūüėČ

My S4 Valencia was shocking when in traffic and when coming into sites it’s embarrassing  !! Told dealer on 1st service said would do the “Alko  fix “ on the way home about 45 miles  squeak was back !  Not done anymore about it yet .

• Like 1

On 21/04/2019 at 12:36, Woodentop said:

Contractually, you're correct - however it often pays dividends to copy the car/caravan maker as well as the equipment maker ADDITIONALLY to the dealer.

20 minutes ago, cb300 said:

My S4 Valencia was shocking when in traffic and when coming into sites it’s embarrassing  !! Told dealer on 1st service said would do the “Alko  fix “ on the way home about 45 miles  squeak was back !  Not done anymore about it yet .

It is totally embarrassing. What I can't understand is that there was never a problem before. 

Our brakes on our Platinum 640 (Phoenix) have become horrific with their squealing! Will be on to Chipping Sodbury Caravans first thing in the morning!

off to the South of France in two weeks, so would like it sorted soonest!

• Like 1

Drums/shoes replaced on our 2017 Coachman in February and been fine since. It’s a problem across all manufacturers who use AlKo chassis. 

• Thanks 1

What with squealing brakes and sagging suspension rubber thingos it seems the Alko system is not really as good as it's cracked up to be?  As a mechanic since 1961 I have had heaps of experience with drum brake cars and there were some models that would have squealing brakes for some reason? We always had mods to do but seldom worked . It was often said to be a vibration  noise ? I believe it no use just putting new Alko shoes back on as they will probably be the same linning material. If I had the trouble ( touch wood my Pegasus is quiet ) I would take the shoes or the whole van if you wish to a good brake company and get the shoes rebonded with a much softer / less metal content linning material. Most of this brake problem has come about since the use of  Asbestos in friction material ( for obvious reasons ) has been stopped. Greasing pivot points , champhering and cutting slots , deglazing and all that stuff is just a temporary measure and seldom works in my experience. The squeaky cars gradually got better over time as the linnings wore out and were replaced with alternative materials. 

1 hour ago, James Donald said:

What with squealing brakes and sagging suspension rubber thingos it seems the Alko system is not really as good as it's cracked up to be?  As a mechanic since 1961 I have had heaps of experience with drum brake cars and there were some models that would have squealing brakes for some reason? We always had mods to do but seldom worked . It was often said to be a vibration  noise ? I believe it no use just putting new Alko shoes back on as they will probably be the same linning material. If I had the trouble ( touch wood my Pegasus is quiet ) I would take the shoes or the whole van if you wish to a good brake company and get the shoes rebonded with a much softer / less metal content linning material. Most of this brake problem has come about since the use of  Asbestos in friction material ( for obvious reasons ) has been stopped. Greasing pivot points , champhering and cutting slots , deglazing and all that stuff is just a temporary measure and seldom works in my experience. The squeaky cars gradually got better over time as the linnings wore out and were replaced with alternative materials. 

Asbestos was removed decades ago - there are several generations of caravans using Alko running gear which weren't noisy - this issue must be a recent change.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PR1 said:

Our brakes on our Platinum 640 (Phoenix) have become horrific with their squealing! Will be on to Chipping Sodbury Caravans first thing in the morning!

Please let us know how you get on.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, PR1 said:

Oh great!!!

Identical caravan, off to France for five weeks on Sunday. Didn’t have any problems on the 120 mile  drive home after I collected it (from new) at the end of January (not been out with it since)

So I have many appendages now crossed. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

9 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Oh great!!!

Identical caravan, off to France for five weeks on Sunday. Didn’t have any problems on the 120 mile  drive home after I collected it (from new) at the end of January (not been out with it since)

So I have many appendages now crossed. 

Andy

Andy, we have towed over 2000 miles, and it has only just started! (In the last 200 miles, so you should have a relatively quiet trip!

Best keep a carefully eye on my odometer then!! 

Andy