AnneD

Creaking floor adjacent to the bathroom

Just asking for your opinions, we purchased a brand new van 2017, after using a few times we developed a creaking floor adjacent to the bathroom, we bought it through Ebor leisure York whilst on holiday and after repeatedly asking if we could take it to any Coachman dealer locally the answer was always yes, however it wasn't mentioned that you would have to have the caravan serviced there at top prices. Anyhow the van has been with Ebor since before Christmas this was done on purpose so that they were not in there busy period and would have plenty of time to investigate it, after 6 months and two trips up there we have received an email stating they do not know what the problem is and they don't think they can fix it!!!!  Obviously this is not good enough and just wondered what people's thoughts were, I have included a short video highlighting the issue. Many thanks

Firstly warranty work can be undertaken by any dealer that, in this case, Coachman, agree to. However said dealers are perfectly entitled to set conditions as to which vans they'll work on and which they won't. Some will do warranty work on any van, no matter where purchased, some will require that annual servicing is done with them, some will only work on vans purchased from them. It's the reason that CT always cautions against buying from dealers that are a long way from home, whether on holiday or from a show. If you are going to make a distant purchase then always check with local dealers beforehand.

As to the problem, it would appear that the dealer has been unable to rectify the issue and you may have a case for rejecting the van. Given the dates and delay involved I'd suggest you seek legal advice from CAB, Which? Legal Services or a solicitor.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, AnneD said:

Just asking for your opinions, we purchased a brand new van 2017, after using a few times we developed a creaking floor adjacent to the bathroom, we bought it through Ebor leisure York whilst on holiday and after repeatedly asking if we could take it to any Coachman dealer locally the answer was always yes, however it wasn't mentioned that you would have to have the caravan serviced there at top prices. Anyhow the van has been with Ebor since before Christmas this was done on purpose so that they were not in there busy period and would have plenty of time to investigate it, after 6 months and two trips up there we have received an email stating they do not know what the problem is and they don't think they can fix it!!!!  Obviously this is not good enough and just wondered what people's thoughts were, I have included a short video highlighting the issue. Many thanks

Surprised Ebor treating you like that.  You do not have to have the van serviced by the dealer you bought it from.

Servicing can be carried out by any AWS, either mobile or garaged, it is only warranty work that should be carried out by approved caravan manufacturer outlets, exception is for fitted appliances like Alde, Thetford etc, then these can be carried out by their authorised engineers (incl AWS engineers).

As already mentioned if the supplying dealer has carried out all they can do to rectify the faulty floor, it is up to them to seek advice from Coachman, who should then provide a fix, if they can not then you are in you rights to claim a full refund for "not fit for purpose".

On many of our new Coachman caravans we have always experienced some creaking from floor to base unit,  I added extra angle brackets and this resolved the problem, not saying that will fix your problem but it might be worth asking first. You will need to act in accordance with the process of rejecting the van to the dealer so they have no excuse or room to wriggle out of their responsibility.

Good luck.

PS Can not see your video in your post

Edited by kiaboy

Posted (edited)

For the warranty on our Elddis, they specify the dates for servicing plus or minus a few weeks. You need to check if this applies in your case since you may be invalidating your warranty if you are having it serviced at different times.

There is a creak on our caravan due to the front seat wood end touching the wardrobe and as you move about it creaks. Sliding a bit of paper in the gap stops the noise.

Edited by Paul1957

Brought my 4 year old Coachman home 2 weeks ago from storage in preparation for first trip away of the year.  I noticed that I was getting a significant squeak from the floor area around our side dinette.  A  quick investigation revealed it was the screws in the L shaped plastic brackets holding the dinette seats to the floor that were loose.   `A quick tighten with a screwdriver was all that was needed to eradicate.  I went on to try tightening screws in a number of other locations in the van - surprisingly the majority needed tightening.

Separately, over the period of ownership I have found a series of small round headed screws on the floor but have been baffled by their origin.  Last week, whilst away in Norfolk, I was sitting on the dinette seat and happened to look across at the cooker surround and realised that all 6 retaining screws holding the cooker to the wooden carcass were missing....mystery solved!  

So lessons to be learnt (i) Coachman could increase the torque settings on their electric screwdrivers (ii) regular tightening never goes amiss.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stockcroft said:

Brought my 4 year old Coachman home 2 weeks ago from storage in preparation for first trip away of the year.  I noticed that I was getting a significant squeak from the floor area around our side dinette.  A  quick investigation revealed it was the screws in the L shaped plastic brackets holding the dinette seats to the floor that were loose.   `A quick tighten with a screwdriver was all that was needed to eradicate.  I went on to try tightening screws in a number of other locations in the van - surprisingly the majority needed tightening.

Separately, over the period of ownership I have found a series of small round headed screws on the floor but have been baffled by their origin.  Last week, whilst away in Norfolk, I was sitting on the dinette seat and happened to look across at the cooker surround and realised that all 6 retaining screws holding the cooker to the wooden carcass were missing....mystery solved!  

So lessons to be learnt (i) Coachman could increase the torque settings on their electric screwdrivers (ii) regular tightening never goes amiss.

Majority of the time, I think you will find its due to the shaking during travelling and over rough terrain over the many months that is the cause. If the torque is increased may result in stripping the thin section timber of the floor.

Another place to check is the fridge to housing.....

Maybe as the wood dries out and shrinks from new, the screws become a bit loose, before then being shaken out.

We had a creaking noise in the same area as the OP, it turned out on investigation by the dealer that the Cookers fixings were slightly loose, 

Also, you may have creaking if you  put too much pressure on the corner steadies

• Like 1

Internal walls and cabinetry are a common cause of floor creaks. There is normally a small bracket that holds the cabinet to the the floor. The screws often come loose and allow the cabinet/wall to creak. A single turn with a phillips screwdriver soon fixes the noise. Don't be tempted to used a battery drill/driver, the screws strip out very easily