Sign in to follow this  
Chris74

13 pin wire colours on Freedom Sunseeker

When I bought my Freedom Sunseeker brand new in early 2010 I removed the 13 pin plug and replaced it with a 7 pin to tow with my existing electrics. I am getting 13 pin electrics on my new car and am having difficulty working out which wire is which as the colours are different from any diagrams I have found. The road lights seem standard but I have had to try to work the others out. I think that I have found the fridge (brown and red) and fridge return (thick black and white) cable by connecting a car battery to the most likely candidates and seeing it come on (when I flick the red switch on the fridge with a picture of a battery on it- I assume this wouldn't work with the leisure battery disconnected and the continuous 12v circuit  but not the fridge circuit powered?). There are two cables left. I suspect that the thinner white one must be the return for continuous 12v power and the remaining 2-tone (I cant remember what colours now) wire the supply for 12v continuous power, but when those two are connected to the battery nothing comes on (surely the interior lights should work?) and there is a spark, perhaps suggesting a short circuit or a big draw? So, firstly, please could someone with a similar caravan tell me  which wire is which and , secondly, do you think I should just tape up the presumed 12v continuous wires and leave them disconnected or might that cause problems elsewhere?

Posted (edited)

I have just replaced the 13 pin plug on my caravan.

I don't know whether all manufacturers abide by a standard colour coding, but at least in my case it was as follows:

image.png.08d5645d3404b8430194734434529810.png

1. Left indicator - yellow
  2. Rear fog lamp - blue
  3. Earth for pins 1 to 8 - white
  4. Right indicator - green
  5. Right lights - brown
  6. Brake lights - red
  7. Left lights - black
  8. Reversing light - pink
  9. Permanent 12v - orange
  10. Ignition switched 12v - brown/red
  11. Earth for pin 10 - white/blue
  12. not assigned - grey
  13. Earth for pin 9 - white/red

Edited by Lutz

Thanks Lutz- That provides some reassurance, that I have identified some of my cables correctly. I am still unsure about what to do with the presumed cables for pins 9 and 13 though. Anyone have any thoughts?

Just to be clear about Lutz diagram, it shows the pins as viewed from the plug side of the socket - which is also as you would view the back of the plug as you work on wiring it up. It would be a mirror image of that if you were looking at the "back" of the socket.

Here are two links that give more info, the second very considerably more.  The first, from the Caravan Club, gives White/Black and White/Blue for Pins 11 & 12 respectively, different from the diagram above.  Pin 12 is suggested as being for a sensing device to show the caravan is coupled.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022790/towbar-wiring-mo.pdf

https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/understanding-caravan-and-tow-car-electrics/

I think I would find out what all those cables do and connect them appropriately.  Rather than sticking a voltage into them at random it is best first to measure any voltage already present, then establish which are the earths, then, on any others which have no voltage, measure resistance to earth while you try various switches in the van.  A cheap multimeter will do the job. I'd be surprised if they do not follow standard colour codes anyway.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

For anyone else in a similar situation (wanting to connect a 7 pin trailer to a 13 pin socket on their car) rather than changing the socket on the car ........

I got the impression that Chris73 was intending to change the plug on his caravan to 13 pin, not the socket on his new car to 7 pin. It would be rather backward nowadays, and disadvantageous, to replace a 13-pin anything by a 7 pin rather than the other way round. But yes, adaptors can be found in any combination of from-and-to; a bit messy though IMHO.

Thanks everyone. Should the 12v continuous circuit work the lights regardless of whether the caravan leisure battery is connected?

The permanent 12v supply from the car via Pin 4 of the 12S socket (S=supplementary or services) should be able to supply things like the caravan internal lights and water pump (but not the fridge or caravan battery chraging).

I don't know about your Sunseeker, but on my van this also requires a 3-way switch to be set to a position marked "Car", which at the same time disconnects the caravan battery from those functions. The 3-way has another position marked "Van" which connects the caravan battery to those functions but at the same time disconnects the Pin 4 line from the car. The third switch position, "Off", disconnects both.

On 20/04/2019 at 14:08, Chris74 said:

Thanks everyone. Should the 12v continuous circuit work the lights regardless of whether the caravan leisure battery is connected?

Hi Chris.

I have a Jetstream Freedom 1st class 2009 and I am about to change my 12 S and 12 N on my vehicle to 13 pin. I worked out my colours on the 13 pin plug and they are :-

Hope this is of help although the colours are changed from time to time.

image.png.70b849176a3f76aa64455bda1a661c88.png

One way of checking the fridge circuit is to disconnect the battery, and then connect a meter.  and have it set so it buzzes while shorting the meter wires. When you have done this connect the meter wires to the two wires you think are the fridge positive and negative. Get someone to switch the car switch on the fridge, and the meter should start buzzing on switching the fridge switch. Simple but it worked on mine. 

Anyway, to answer your question, the 12v lights should work if the EHU is plugged in without the leisure battery connected.

Hope this helps and if you want any more help, please PM me.

Pete

Thanks Pete. It sounds like I identified all the same stuff as you. Maybe Freedoms of that vintage don't have the circuit for charging the battery and using the habitation lights from the car electrics? Anyway, I wired it up as best I could and have now sold it back to Freedom in Stafford for 70% of what I paid them for it new 10 years ago. I used a bit of that money to buy my brothers bigger van from him. It was a lovely little van though, I felt sad as I drove off.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

May you have no leaks with your new one. Good luck,