Jump to content
Gd485

Automatic speed control

Recommended Posts

New cars from 2022 will be fitted with automatic speed control. A mixture of screen mounted camera's and satnav data will determine the speed limit.

This feature added to adaptive cruise control will make driving a good bit safer and maybe a bit greener.

It would be a useful feature to detect when a car is towing and apply the correct limit.

Th EU and the UK gov have both agreed to go ahead with this technology.

 

I think the added safety of being able to drive without constantly monitoring the speedo and adjusting the speed must be a good step forward.

 

I used to drive 50.000 miles year for work and I could not understand why cars are not fitted with fixed limiter set to 70 mph anyway.

 

In my opinion this bit of safety technology is long overdue. 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the system on a Volvo XC60 reads the speed signs combined with sat nav effectively an auto speed limiter, it can drift over the speed limit downhill. On the odd occasion it misreads a speed sign and applies the brakes quite sharply not ideal when towing, there is a solar panel speed indicator the type that flashes up to indicate your speed of approach in our area and it always applies the brakes very sharply when the camera "sees" it. The car can also sound an alarm when the speed limit is exceeded which is useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have you ever tried it?

 

For it to be effective and most of all SAFE it needs to have accurate and up to date map and speed limit  data. Likewise road signs and even roadside beacons need to properly monitored and controlled.

 

Having a system whereby your car either slows down or speeds up when it's inappropriate or someone is in front or close behind can be a recipe for disaster. Even the speed limiter in my car can sometimes see roadsigns that aren't relevant to the road I'm on as well as outdated speed limit data in the system maps.

 

It's a bit unerving when overtaking a vehicle or entering a roundabout where the signage or data is wrong and the car just slows down. It doesn't apply the brakes but reduces the engine power.

 

Alternatively if there aren't enough road signs and the GPS thinks it's in a 70mph limit (motorway roadworks or managed motorways for instance) it can be quite happliy tracking the 40 or 50mph speed limit signs and then either misses seeing one or the overhead gantries haven't been switched properly and suddenly the car will take off and accelerate up to the national speed limit. Again a bit disconcerting if the bloke in front is still grinding away at 40mph

Edited by matelodave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

'Gd485': I'm with you on this, I was told (by a friend high-up in IT) that recent cars already have this ability built-in to the ECU but it is largely unused. I've always assumed this was likely to be because the government doesn't want to loose the cash cow of speeding fines LOL.

If it does happen where are the many millions of income from fines going to come from? I dread to think.

Edited by micktheshed
spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many complain about the "elephant racing" because HGVs are all fitted with limiters - cars will be in a similar nose-to-tail queue - it's how to destroy the pleasure of driving, lesson 1.

 

In reality, UK speed limit signage isn't consistent enough, accurate enough or good visibility enough for this to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Many complain about the "elephant racing" because HGVs are all fitted with limiters - cars will be in a similar nose-to-tail queue - it's how to destroy the pleasure of driving, lesson 1.

 

Agree entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having had the "Pleasure" of driving a van for a while with a 70mph limiter they  can be ***** dangerous at times.

 

No two limiters are exactly the same so you end up in 1mph faster overtakes the same as trucks.

 

And overtaking trucks with a low maximum speed differential can be entertaining on single carriageways.

 

I believe the EU proposals does allow for an override if the situation requires POWWWWWWER.

 

Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Many complain about the "elephant racing" because HGVs are all fitted with limiters - cars will be in a similar nose-to-tail queue - it's how to destroy the pleasure of driving, lesson 1.

 

 

The reason why the trucks are a problem is they travel slower than the majority of the traffic but all cars will be able to travel at the legal limit on motorways. A sort of 70 mph traffic jam.

The adaptive cruise control will keep a safe gap.

 

As for the speed limit data being incorrect.... the driver will still be in charge and needs to keep an eye on things.

 

The pleasure of driving soon diminishes when stuck in a queue because some idiot crashed into the back of a slower car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gd485 said:

New cars from 2022 will be fitted with automatic speed control. A mixture of screen mounted camera's and satnav data will determine the speed limit.

This feature added to adaptive cruise control will make driving a good bit safer and maybe a bit greener.

It would be a useful feature to detect when a car is towing and apply the correct limit.

Th EU and the UK gov have both agreed to go ahead with this technology.

 

I think the added safety of being able to drive without constantly monitoring the speedo and adjusting the speed must be a good step forward.

 

I used to drive 50.000 miles year for work and I could not understand why cars are not fitted with fixed limiter set to 70 mph anyway.

 

In my opinion this bit of safety technology is long overdue. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Our Kuga has a MyKey option limiting the car to 80mph, unfortunately is either disabled or 80mph, no other options, however it does have separate speed control from 20mph +, on motorways I set it at 67mph to give a safety margin, it can be cancelled or restored by a press of a button on the steering wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jaguar XE sees the 20 MPH recommended limit past schools in Flintshire (red 20 in black circle) as proper speed limit signs, however because only recommended there is no end of limit, so it stays no 20 until into 40 limit or over.

 

If you make the reader record colour then any faded signs will not register.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ericmark said:

The Jaguar XE sees the 20 MPH recommended limit past schools in Flintshire (red 20 in black circle) as proper speed limit signs, however because only recommended there is no end of limit, so it stays no 20 until into 40 limit or over.

 

If you make the reader record colour then any faded signs will not register.

 

Near me there's part-time 20  mph limits near several schools, only active when lights flash - problem is the school sometimes forget to turn then off so they're on all night - or at one school for 3 weeks of the summer holidays!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gd485 said:

 

The reason why the trucks are a problem is they travel slower than the majority of the traffic but all cars will be able to travel at the legal limit on motorways. A sort of 70 mph traffic jam.

The adaptive cruise control will keep a safe gap.

 

As for the speed limit data being incorrect.... the driver will still be in charge and needs to keep an eye on things.

 

The pleasure of driving soon diminishes when stuck in a queue because some idiot crashed into the back of a slower car.

 

As a regular on the A14, the pleasure definitely deminishes when vehicles travelling at the same speed come into contact with each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

 

As a regular on the A14, the pleasure definitely deminishes when vehicles travelling at the same speed come into contact with each other.

I've managed to avoid using the A14 between Milton and Brampton for the past couple of years because it's got so bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

 

Our Kuga has a MyKey option limiting the car to 80mph, unfortunately is either disabled or 80mph, no other options, however it does have separate speed control from 20mph +, on motorways I set it at 67mph to give a safety margin, it can be cancelled or restored by a press of a button on the steering wheel.

My Kuga speedo (and therefore Limiter or Cruise COntrol) under reads by about 2mph, so you are cruising at around 65... I set mine at 72...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have now had my new Kia with all this tackle fitted for four weeks. I was a bit sceptical at first but am impressed.

I wondered if it would misread signs on adjacent lanes etc, but it doesn't.

we are currently in France and it even knows that the limit changes at the village name sign.

The smart cruise control is very good except when you are held back behind something, waiting for a clear space to overtake, it does not react as fast as I would like to speed up for the overtake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matelodave said:

I've managed to avoid using the A14 between Milton and Brampton for the past couple of years because it's got so bad.

 

Yip, the whole section is an object lesson in why speed alone is not the only factor in causing accidents - far from it!

 

Won’t be long before the new A14 is open, the progress has been fantastic to watch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, matelodave said:

Alternatively if there aren't enough road signs and the GPS thinks it's in a 70mph limit (motorway roadworks or managed motorways for instance) it can be quite happliy tracking the 40 or 50mph speed limit signs and then either misses seeing one or the overhead gantries haven't been switched properly and suddenly the car will take off and accelerate up to the national speed limit.

 

Indeed. Speed limit signage has become sloppy and erratic ever since a court case some years ago which undermined the old rule that 30 mph was the limit if lamp-posts and/or repeaters were closer than 200 yards. [The court prosecuted a motorist doing >30 when the posts were 210 yards apart, or something like that]. Now there are sometimes such long gaps between repeaters that it becomes unclear what the limit is, especially when other cars are piling up behind you or overtaking at much more than what you thought the limit was. 

 

There is a fork in a 30mph road near me where the left one (a minor country lane) has a de-restriction sign so close to the fork that anyone who did not know the area would think it applied to the main road to the right.  The de-restriction sign is visible before the minor road itself is visible.

 

I would be a nervous wreck trying to rely on an automatic speed contol, or any form of self-driving.  I would constantly be second-guessing the system and making decisions whether to intervene.  It would effectively double the stress because I would need to make two judgements instead of just one :-

(1) I would need to decide what to do if I were driving manually, and then

(2) I would need to decide how long to leave things before I intervene.

 

Edited by Bolingbroke
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 30 mph limit defined by urban streetlights is the one speed limit that cannot have repeaters - perverse but true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading towards driverless cars !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

My Kuga speedo (and therefore Limiter or Cruise COntrol) under reads by about 2mph, so you are cruising at around 65... I set mine at 72...

 

I ok with that 65 mph is fine by me that way I am ahead of most commercial traffic and not impeding the progress of the 70 mph plus traffic. Towing I set the limiter at 60 mph, I might try raising it to 62 mph.

 

 

Edited by Oscarmax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The 30 mph limit defined by urban streetlights is the one speed limit that cannot have repeaters - perverse but true.

I got my one and only Speeding Ticket in West Sussex on Friday 8th November 1991 [42.2mph on a 30mph dual carriageway that I was convinced was a 40mph limit! I had been driving, as did everybody else on that stretch at about 40mph for almost 12 months ...]. The traffic policeman advised me thus: 'Sir, if you observe the lamp posts, you will see that they are 27 metres apart ...'.

I was tempted to say that I was concentrating on driving safely at my indicated 40mph and in accordance with the speed of the remaining traffic, but reflected that this would probably not help my cause ... Shedloads of us were booked in that wee burst ...:blush:

He went on to say that they were prosecuting everyone as part of a Safety Campaign, so my Court Appearance was 7th February 1992 and I was fined £36 for the speeding plus £20 Court Costs.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

I got my one and only Speeding Ticket in West Sussex on Friday 8th November 1991 [42.2mph on a 30mph dual carriageway that I was convinced was a 40mph limit! I had been driving, as did everybody else on that stretch at about 40mph for almost 12 months ...]. The traffic policeman advised me thus: 'Sir, if you observe the lamp posts, you will see that they are 27 metres apart ...'.

I was tempted to say that I was concentrating on driving safely at my indicated 40mph and in accordance with the speed of the remaining traffic, but reflected that this would probably not help my cause ... Shedloads of us were booked in that wee burst ...:blush:

He went on to say that they were prosecuting everyone as part of a Safety Campaign, so my Court Appearance was 7th February 1992 and I was fined £36 for the speeding plus £20 Court Costs.

 

Steve

 

All I can say Steve is … … how on earth do you remember all that detail from over a quarter of a century ago ?

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It has always amazed me how older relatives can remember details of events from decades ago but nothing from a few minutes earlier. I sometimes can not recall things of a few minutes ago but not ones a long time ago so I must not be old enough yet.

 

Hopefully when these part automated cars are stuck in a long line doing the same speed they will leave a gap between them large enough for those of us with older cars to safely overtake and pull in. You could then watch them in your mirror as the cars automated brakes are applied to get the gap back.

Edited by Paul1957

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How quickly will someone find a work around for the speed limiter?

 

People generally speed deliberately, not by accident.

What will the limiter do for new car sales and sports cars? Who wants to drive a new super car only to be overtaken by a 20 year old corsa?

 

make police chases less dramatic :)

 

 

macafee2

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...