Should we buy a tracker for the caravan or not? Do many people buy them? We have it on a  storage site with a hitch lock, wheel lock and an alarm. 

It is a personal choice my van come with a tracker as standard but I don't bother renewing it.

• Like 2

As said it is your choice !  I have it on our Airstream as I would like to think that if it is nicked I can get it back  AND yes I would want it back even if it has been used by someone else.

There is no doubt that Tracker, Phantom and all the devices for locating your caravan are a good idea. The problem is, who is going to look for your van when there is not enough police to go around now.

• Like 1

I have had one for years and I would recommend the peace of mind. 

‘When it comes to locks they can be removed with the tracker don’t advertise the fact you have one. 

‘When it come to reduced police numbers well it is an easy nick so they do come and they have to come too

James 

On 16/04/2019 at 22:22, Gilliblutac said:

Should we buy a tracker for the caravan or not? Do many people buy them? We have it on a  storage site with a hitch lock, wheel lock and an alarm. 

Do you really want it back if it was stolen? For me I dont therefore my tracker is off, I actually found it a little while ago and removed it from my van completely.

When we had our caravan nicked, we went shopping in the shop for the odds and sods, and met up with a couple who had also had their caravan nicked.  They'd had a tracker on board, but two weeks later, the police had still not recovered it.  So personally, waste of time.

31 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Do you really want it back if it was stolen? For me I dont therefore my tracker is off, I actually found it a little while ago and removed it from my van completely.

I have 'found' mine.  Do I simply cut the feed?

59 minutes ago, SamD said:

I have 'found' mine.  Do I simply cut the feed?

I'm not an expert on the various tracker type devices, mine was linked into the alarm in that the alarm triggered tracker. I removed all of the tracker wiring completely, I suppose you can simply cut and insulate the wires without issues.

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I'm not an expert on the various tracker type devices, mine was linked into the alarm in that the alarm triggered tracker. I removed all of the tracker wiring completely, I suppose you can simply cut and insulate the wires without issues.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

With my Phantom I can see where the van is no my phone.(still at the dealers again)

Edited by g7eor
missed a bit

I am amazed people remove there tracker

I ha e the phantom and would be informed within meters of the van moving but with the alarm I would know before the thing moves

they may do damage to locks but not normally to the caravan, they are trying to sell it after all. 

‘And forget all about the caravan I want to catch the scum bag who steal it. 

A tracker is just another item to try and defeat the scum who steal our beloved caravans plus we got a big discount on our caravan because it is monitored 24/7

can they be beaten yes they can and this is why you don’t advertise there’s a tracker. Mine is very well hidden away from the alarm 

I hope it turns out to be a waist of money but to be fair for those with a caravan in storage it is a great peace of mind. 

Like g7eor I know where is on my phone I also know the battery charge and how my solar panel is doing.

is it worth it, depends on you, for me it’s a big yes 

James 

10 hours ago, Jcf1966 said:

I ha e the phantom and would be informed within meters of the van moving but with the alarm I would know before the thing moves

they may do damage to locks but not normally to the caravan, they are trying to sell it after all. 

‘And forget all about the caravan I want to catch the scum bag who steal it. 

A tracker is just another item to try and defeat the scum who steal our beloved caravans plus we got a big discount on our caravan because it is monitored 24/7

can they be beaten yes they can and this is why you don’t advertise there’s a tracker. Mine is very well hidden away from the alarm 

I hope it turns out to be a waist of money but to be fair for those with a caravan in storage it is a great peace of mind. 

Like g7eor I know where is on my phone I also know the battery charge and how my solar panel is doing.

James 

Depends what you mean by 'normally'.  They will do a significant amount of damage if the situation warrants it.  The theft of mine amounted to £12,000 repair bill.  Did I really want it back??

12 hours ago, Jcf1966 said:

I amazed that people dont remove it!

I ha e the phantom and would be informed within meters of the van moving but with the alarm I would know before the thing moves they may do damage to locks but not normally to the caravan, they are trying to sell it after all. 

By the time it's moving, plenty of damage will have been done. Only locks, maybe, maybe not, damage to wheels, hitch etc all very likely as well as doors being levered open.

And forget all about the caravan I want to catch the scum bag who steal it. 

I too would like to catch the thieves too BUT is still dont want my caravan back when theyve had their sticky hands all over it, going through my possessions etc.

13 hours ago, Jcf1966 said:

It doesnt try to defeat them at all, it may deter them for sure.

There are boxes available on the net that prevent trackers working, simply swamps the radio signal.

I dont have any problem sleeping at night knowing that my caravan doesnt have tracker fitted.

I know where my caravan is, it's where I left it I dont need it on my phone. As for the charge, I can monitor that remotely if I so wish but I never need to, a) I havent got tracker running the battery down and b) the money I save every year on tracker I can spend on additional solar panels (I dont but I could), 300w on my roof works fine, never a concern on state of battery.

Thats the important bit, if it works for you a big thumbs up, as I've said for me, I really do not want my van back if anyone's taken it, even if tracker was offered free, I wouldn't have it for this very reason.

I' m having hell's own delight getting my Tracker registered, because the data sent to them from Bailey doesn't agree with the data I have...  I've even found the hidden sticker, and that agrees with everything else I have....  Not sure I'm going to bother carrying on after the free 3 months, because £90 ish a year with no additional insurance discount doesn't seem to make sense.

4 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

I' m having hell's own delight getting my Tracker registered, because the data sent to them from Bailey doesn't agree with the data I have...  I've even found the hidden sticker, and that agrees with everything else I have....  Not sure I'm going to bother carrying on after the free 3 months, because £90 ish a year with no additional insurance discount doesn't seem to make sense.

Who benefits? definitely not you, you get a damaged, repaired caravan back maybe, without tracker that would be less likely.

The chances of a conviction for a caravan theft are about zero!

The thieves know they must be caught in the act and even then a “good” lawyer will frustrate the law.

As for after its been stolen it’s just gone-either to Ireland or Poland and beyond if its newish or just down the road to the site the police only visit in sixes.

Trackers? they cannot be as effective as those fitted to £60000 plus cars and they are stolen to order by the 100 every day in the UK and containered out.

Of the many cars stolen in 2018 how many were tracker recovered?-78!

So do nt hold your breath😀.

Far better to be realistic.

Be insured

Do not store it on your driveway.

Store it in a CASSOA Gold site

Fit a pesky fiddly to fit Alko lozenge wheel lock.

Do not keep anything of irreplaceable value in it eg photos letters recordings videos etc.

There are 500000 mobile caravans in the UK less than 8000 are stolen annually so the odds are favourable.

A tracker requires communication with GPS systems to know where it is which is difficult in a shipping container ?

Dave

From a (previous) professional point of view I certainly would NOT spend (waste?) my money on any form of tracker for the simple reason they do not PREVENT (or even deter)  theft.

What they MIGHT be able to do is locate your caravan once it HAS been stolen, but that is by no means certain. 

My chosen course of action is to use highly visible mechanical means (Alko wheel and hitch locks) to prevent theft. IF my caravan ever gets stolen that’s what I pay insurance for. If stolen I don’t think I would want it back anyway.

Personal choice of course but I thought I would give my views, from a coppers perspective, and the reasoning behind them. 

Andy

• Like 1

Locks etc give you peace of mind , and locks only keep out honest people. If a thief wants it he will have it as simple as that. I guess you’re only hope is that they will target something that’s easier to steal then yours. It’s the world we live in .

When we had a Tracker on a Coachman, we got too many calls from the Tracker HQ in the middle of the night telling us that the battery was down. I disconnected the Tracker and informed our  Insurance, at the time our Tracker was using Vodafone, where our storage is had a  very poor signal, so the system was constantly searching for a signal and running the battery down. From full charge the battery only lassted 12 to 14 days 

Don't have or want a tracker on my Buccaneer.

One would work against my prayers in that I pray it will be stolen and I don't get it back!

• Haha 1

Purchased Bailey with the 3 months Tracker and decided not to renew and questioned why the various promotions had been removed, this resulted in Tracker providing me with a further 12months for free which has just ended. Will I renew no, Tracker charge the same fees as the fully feature car systems that provide online monitoring and tracking, the one installed in the Bailey does not include any of these features.

I agree with the posts above, would I want it back after it’s stolen, no, I think Tracker & Bailey have some arrange going, Tracker provide the devices for free in the hope they get the subscriptions and Bailey fit them for free as new shiny features which there not.

If it is a Tracker Retrieve it is not worth renewing the subscription even if it was free!

I understand MrPlods view but I also come from a Plod family two brothers and my farther

my farther is too old for this etc but my brother and my best mate all say go for it granted more use in cars than caravans. 

Relying  solely on insurance out can not be a good idea. 

I think if your caravan is in storage a tracker is a great peace of mind

what is very apparent is you fit it if you want too

James