Sign in to follow this  
PR1

Ferry Changed by Brittany Ferries

Posted (edited)

Had a phone call from the Caravan Club today whilst I was sat on the motorway to say our ferry had been cancelled! 

They had put us on one at 08.30! No chance! 

So as soon as I got home I rang them! All quickly sorted, and we are on one at 3.30 the previous day,

Not really a hardship as we will have been away for two months anyway!

Full marks to the cc for sorting it so quickly!

Edited by PR1
Spelling

When is your sailing??

We are doing Portsmouth -Le Havre on 28th April. I had an email from BF many WEEKS ago advising of a change in our ferry time. We were due on an overnight sailing arriving at 07:00, it was changed to leave at about 16:00 arriving around 23:00. REALLY useful if towing a caravan!!

So I changed to the previous day where the sailing is as per the initial booking (about 23:00) Due to the messing around I got 50% discount on the (already booked) cabin cost! 

So unless your sailing is many weeks away the cc have not been that quick! 

Andy

Hows the new van??

Posted (edited)

The last time this happened to me I had arrived at the docks and was told that the ferry had been cancelled (It had run aground) I had to return to the campsite and was fitted onto a different vessel the next day

I was given £100 off the next trip

Edited by g7eor
missed a bit

10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

When is your sailing??

We are doing Portsmouth -Le Havre on 28th April. I had an email from BF many WEEKS ago advising of a change in our ferry time. We were due on an overnight sailing arriving at 07:00, it was changed to leave at about 16:00 arriving around 23:00. REALLY useful if towing a caravan!!

So I changed to the previous day where the sailing is as per the initial booking (about 23:00) Due to the messing around I got 50% discount on the (already booked) cabin cost! 

So unless your sailing is many weeks away the cc have not been that quick! 

Andy

Hows the new van??

Out from Poole 15th May.

Now returning on 11th July!

Actually suits us better!

Me caravan is Fantastic! Not so new now as we have had it for six months and have done circa 100 nights!

Just now, PR1 said:

Out from Poole 15th May.

Now returning on 11th July!

Actually suits us better!

Looks like cc have been a little tardy in advising you of the change in sailing dates, BF published their revised sailing  many weeks ago! 

Andy

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

Looks like cc have been a little tardy in advising you of the change in sailing dates, BF published their revised sailing  many weeks ago! 

Andy

Andy, I checked a week or so ago and there were no changes!

Posted (edited)

How do you find the mattress?? 

We found it VERY hard so have invested in a memory foam topper which has transformed it.  So far we have only had a few nights in it (on the drive when family visit) but we have 5 weeks away in 10 days time. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Andy! Andy, I find the mattress very comfortable. Long time, 50 years a Scout Leader, so used to sleeping on the ground!

Where are you off to in France!

Cannot get my head round how to use quotes on here!

Paul

You go to the post you wish to quote from, and click the “quote” button at the bottom  of that post. That opens a new reply window and inserts your selected quote at the top of it. You then type underneath it! 

We are firstly doing the Palace at Versailles (bucket list item) then off to Holland for the bulb fields (another bucket list item) and then back down to the Loire to meet some friends. Yes I know it a cock eyed itinerary,  but there are reasons for it.

Of course if the weather is “iffy” we will be going further south.

Andy

We come off the ferry at Cherbourg, down to Villieu Les Poeles, than onto Camping de Montreal, st Germain Les Belles for a week.  then down to Le Barcares for five weeks, then do it all in reverse!

Have toured France for many years, so know where we want to be!

Hopefully daughter and Boyfriend are joining us at Camping de Montreal for a week as we head north!

We spent a VERY wet weekend at Camping Montreal in December enroute to Spain but will definitely try to re-visit in better weather.

It looks a lovely spot.

Jim

5 hours ago, jampot said:

We spent a VERY wet weekend at Camping Montreal in December enroute to Spain but will definitely try to re-visit in better weather.

It looks a lovely spot.

Jim

There is some very beautiful countryside around that area steeped in Resistance history. (we live about 20 minutes away)

Posted (edited)

We had a text from Brittany ferries today advising our outward ferry to Caen 08.15 on 20th June has been cancelled.

We have re-arranged the outward trip going through St Malo and agreed a nice deal with BF. No complaints from us.

Edited by Ern

Brittany have also changed our return from Caen on the 23rd June on the Normandie,not a problem though,rearranged for the next days 08.30 crossing. 

John.

7 hours ago, jwa said:

Brittany have also changed our return from Caen on the 23rd June on the Normandie,not a problem though,rearranged for the next days 08.30 crossing. 

John.

Its the same vessel. Its out of service for a week while they replace one of the lateral thrusts.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ern said:

Its the same vessel. Its out of service for a week while they replace one of the lateral thrusts.

A new vessel is coming into service on the Caen sailing.

John.

14 minutes ago, jwa said:

A new vessel is coming into service on the Caen sailing.

John.

Does anyone know when ?   The word on the street says "after September 2019"

17 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Does anyone know when ?   The word on the street says "after September 2019"

Delayed until late 2019 due to financial problems at the German shipyard after penalties due to late delivery of Irish ferries new ferry.

John.

Thank you.

Like others we've had our ferry crossing changed from an overnight to a late (22.30) arrival, if we were going far it would be good to drive overnight and avoid traffic but we've only going 2 hours away from Le Havre. We can't get on site until the following afternoon, has anyone any suggestions where we could safely park up until the morning?  None of the sites I've been in touch with are interested in arrivals at that time of night.

I was going to suggest staying overnight in the ferryport car park but Brittany Ferries  say that is unavailable because of building wok, so I would contact the tourist office in Le Havre and ask if they can suggest overnight parking areas for caravans arriving at 2230 (there are several listed on CamperContact.com  but only for motorhomes) . Failing any advice from that office it might have to be one of the big hypermarket car parks.  Can you let us know what you come up with please. 

PS.    Their e mail address is contact@lehavre-etretat-tourisme.com 

On 30/05/2019 at 12:52, moorgate said:

I was going to suggest staying overnight in the ferryport car park but Brittany Ferries  say that is unavailable because of building wok, so I would contact the tourist office in Le Havre and ask if they can suggest overnight parking areas for caravans arriving at 2230 (there are several listed on CamperContact.com  but only for motorhomes) . Failing any advice from that office it might have to be one of the big hypermarket car parks.  Can you let us know what you come up with please. 

None of the tourist offices could offer any suggestions of a place to pitch after site closing times, though they were apologetic, due to the huge increase in demand for the D-Day commemorations . As we were going to Arromanches we had the option of the car park near the 360 cinema, if there were spaces, so we pushed on.  There are several services along the A13, we stopped at the small Aire just after the west bound toll before the slip road to the D400 leading to Cabourg. There wasn't much space but we found a spot, like most of these small services there were only toilets but it was close to the manned toll station with CCTV so there was a feeling of security. After this experience I'd have no qualms about going 'off piste' again in the future.

Thanks for the reply and glad you found somewhere.

On 30/05/2019 at 12:08, tafflondon said:

Like others we've had our ferry crossing changed from an overnight to a late (22.30) arrival, if we were going far it would be good to drive overnight and avoid traffic but we've only going 2 hours away from Le Havre. We can't get on site until the following afternoon, has anyone any suggestions where we could safely park up until the morning?  None of the sites I've been in touch with are interested in arrivals at that time of night.

Which site was this, please, just so that we (and others) know that there are specified arrival times?  It's very very unusual for French sites to make new arrivals 'afternoons only'.  We've arrived on site at any time from an early breakfast, to just before closing time without problems, and on one site which we use a lot there is sometimes a queue when the site first opens, with people waiting to come in.