Sign in to follow this  
Mrs Norton

Caravan Allergy?

We bought a new swift conquerer560  end of August 2018 every time we’ve been in it I have a very bad reaction on face, eyes and neck even been to a/e, just wandering if anyone has had same thing 

That's a new me on me but could this be a reaction to chemicals being released from  adhesives used in the manufacture. I am aware of this problem sometimes with a new car but I've not come across it with a caravan. I presume that you tried leaving the windows open for long periods to thoroughly ventilate the interior. I wonder if the upholstery has been treated with any kind of fabric protection coating that you may be reacting to, as I would have thought and "new" smell should have dispersed by now.

Gordon 

Can't comment on this breed of caravan, but some materials do leach toxic chemicals which affect some of us for ages, sadly.

Posted (edited)

As a quick test, next time you go in the caravan take some anti histamines to see if it helps, there will be many available now in the shops ready for the hay fever season. You could try the seat cushions in your house to see if you get the same problem.

Some caravan sites (caravan club) spray perfume from a small high level machine in the toilet blocks which can give hay fever type symptoms to allergy sufferers and many people use spray deodorants in them so you also get covered. If you are using a different soap to normal maybe that is a problem.

Edited by Paul1957

Allergies are a very complex subject and only occasionally have simple answers.

Before doing anything drastic like changing the caravan you need to see if you can identify the cause.

Could be, amongst others:-

Different soap to usual in your caravan or facilities block.

Unusual vegetation near the van.

Different laundry products on your caravan bedding.

Different air fresheners.

etc.

If you are normally prone to allergies then you already know how complex it can be and some likely causes.

Like Gordon, fabric treated as part of a protection package would be my guess. 

We have only wasted money on that once before, and it took ages for the smell to dissipate.

Neither of us were affected in any way though.

Posted (edited)

As others have  said, allergic reactions can be caused by a number of things.  It could be down to something the caravan was cleaned with prior to sale.  Washing down all surfaces may get rid of it.

My particular and weird allergy is museums and art galleries and some shops.  Additionally The Eden Project and a new one for me, the P & O cruise ship Oriana and that only happened on the 2nd time I cruised on that ship.  Not had any reaction on any others - all a bit odd, but I think its down to cleaning products used.  Had it for 50+ years.  Doctors laugh when I tell them and have never taken it seriously.

My hands swell, such that I cannot bend my fingers, and itch like made in those places, but not if I wear gloves, or keep my hand in my pockets. On the Oriana my whole body was swollen within 2 days but returned to normal within 2 hours of dis-embarkation.

Edited by Wunny

Friends had a Buccaneer and she couldn't spend a night in It without getting a rash and sneezing....then bought a Swift and she couldn't sleep in It....bought a motor home without problem.

Geoff

Maybe the OP could contact Swift or the seat cushion supplier to see if they put any fire retardant chemicals on them to reduce flammability. If so maybe ones could be supplied without but they might not comply with regulations. It would be easy to check if they are the problem by rubbing hands on them and waiting for the reaction. A good wash of them might help.

This link suggests fire retardancy regs apply to caravans but do not apply to motor homes https://www.safelincs-forum.co.uk/topic/552-fire-retardancy-for-soft-furnishing-in-caravans/