Portable generator advice

aqua0part2

Morning all.

I'm looking at getting a bit further off the beaten track so I'm considering a portable generator.

What are the current thoughts on these and which are recommended for weekend use?

Ideally looking for something which is light and quiet, which won't cause problems with the van electrics.

Recommendations please?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Honda eu20i expensive, reliable, superb.

Agree

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

20 minutes ago, aqua0part2 said:

Morning all.

I'm looking at getting a bit further off the beaten track so I'm considering a portable generator.

What are the current thoughts on these and which are recommended for weekend use?

Ideally looking for something which is light and quiet, which won't cause problems with the van electrics.

Recommendations please?

Thanks.

Why would you need a generator for a weekend away? Run the fridge on gas - cook on gas - if it's cold heat the caravan on gas - electric only required for lighting.

Alan

What do you want to run off the generator? As previously stated most things necessary for a typical weekend can be run off gas or 12V.

6 minutes ago, Stevan said:

What do you want to run off the generator? As previously stated most things necessary for a typical weekend can be run off gas or 12V.

Microwave, wifeys hair dryer and for when the 12v is flat.

1 minute ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Microwave, wifeys hair dryer and for when the 12v is flat.

But what does the OP want to run? Intended use may well affect choice of alternative power source.

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Honda eu20i expensive, reliable, superb.

I know this one and it would disturb the piece on a quiet site.  There was one on our loch side camp site last year.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

This often comes up, and it's a very touchy subject. People go away to the countryside for peace and quiet, if someone is running an old, loud, smokey generator for hours on end next to them it tends to get annoying. That being said they do have their place for the times you need a short burst of higher wattage, for example hairdryer, iron or a microwave.

I personally only run mine for the times needed to actually use these devices then switch it back off again. The only reason to run one for longer is if you've had some poor weather and a solar panel has not given you enough charge to keep the battery/s topped up. If that were the case there is a good chance your not alone so to ease the animosity I'd offer (and I have had people take me up on this in the past) to let others nearby plug in to recharge their batteries too.

2010 Lunar Delta Ti pulled by a 2017 Volvo XC90 D5 AWD 

2 hours ago, aqua0part2 said:

It appears that everybody has an opinion on generators. There are those who don't care about others and run a generator any time they wish, while there are others that will always object to them on principle, and somewhere in the middle are those that believe that with considerate use, they should not cause a problem. Some sites, presumably because previous visitors have caused problems with them, do not permit generators under any circumstances, while other have rules about where and how long a generator can be used.

Regarding recommendations; if you are going to use a generator to power a caravan I would recommend a "suitcase generator" with an inverter that can provide a pure sine wave output, so something like the Honda 20i, or Honda 10i would be most suited (other makes are available and often cheaper). Whatever you decide, do not go for a really cheap generator with an unstabilised low quality ac output and these can damage sensitive electronic equipment in no time.

Most importantly, consider others before pulling the start chord. Ask first, and don't run a generator during unsocial hours. 

Generator_Honda_EU10i.jpg  

Generator - Unregulated output.jpg 

I have owned and used both of the above and the Honda 10i (red one) works perfectly for me and even though the power output is low, I have found it sufficient for all my needs. The other cheaper one (blue one) had an unregulated output, that could rise to as much as 380volts and drop to 150volts, and even blew outside garden lamps (bulbs) so was unsuitable for caravan use and was returned to the supplier. 

Generators_Suitcase (small).jpg

Below is a rather unscientific assessment of my suitcase generator.

Generator Noise.jpg

1 hour ago, ChrisUK said:

I know this one and it would disturb the piece on a quiet site.  There was one on our loch side camp site last year.

Well they don’t come much quieter than the Honda. I always take others into consideration when on the rare occasions I use it but I would not consider it a major disturbance.

i use a pure sine wave inverter most of the time and my solar panels do keep up generally. If they don’t I usually wait while mid morning and run it for an hour or so.

1 hour ago, anthdci said:

That being said they do have their place for the times you need a short burst of higher wattage, for example hairdryer, iron or a microwave.

Some people also need them for essential medical equipment, oxygen machines etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Some people also need them for essential medical equipment, oxygen machines etc.

Very true, I did witness an irate camper having a go at a couple for running a gent and he was quite nasty about it too. It turned out that they had some form of dialysis machine that they needed to use every other day. Mr angry stormed off and they were talking of leaving, I gave them a feed from my inverter so they didn’t need the gent that day.

There does seem to be some intolerant caravanners around when it comes to gennys.

16 minutes ago, Odd days said:

If funds allow go for a gas one. You won’t have the petrol smell from storing it or the fuel. Gas one will plug in to the bbq point.

I've seen the Honda 10i (the model I have) advertised recently at anything between £750 and £950 for petrol, with a further £150 for an LPG conversion. Other makes will be cheaper but I suspect the additional £150 for an LPG version will remain similar.  Its certainly worth considering if you are averse to carrying a gallon of petrol.

Gordon.

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

good point, there are a couple of people at the agility shows we go to who are disabled so use motorised chairs to get around. They just don't charge enough from solar so they have to run a generator for them

43 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Hyundai do a gas one a little cheaper than Honda and they are quite good.

I have an evopower which is basically a Hyundai, built in the same factory, everything is exactly the same apart from the colour of the case being black rather than blue, even the remote key is identical. There is no getting around the fact mine is louder than a Honda, but it is also 3000w and cost £500 with remote start, the equivalent Honda is about six times that and quite a lot heavier. You don't get the electric start on the eu20i, which was a requirement for me for the times I leave my wife at the caravan and she needs to use it, I'd rather she pressed a button rather than had to pull a cord start.

Things may have changed since I got my small Honda, but then Honda would not warranty their generators if used on LPG.

4 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

There does seem to be some intolerant caravanners around when it comes to gennys.

I get really intolerant when I find the generator owner positions the said generator so i is closer to my caravan than his. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fred said:

I get really intolerant when I find the generator owner positions the said generator so i is closer to my caravan than his. 

I can see that might do it :D

Not much danger of that with me, I usually chain it to my van and have it between my car and caravan so the noise can only really go upwards. I also have the Eu20i rather than the 10i so it's working less hard and thus quieter.

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I can see that might do it :D

Not much danger of that with me, I usually chain it to my van and have it between my car and caravan so the noise can only really go upwards. I also have the Eu20i rather than the 10i so it's working less hard and thus quieter.

Yea I do this too, I was looking at making a canopy out of some plywood with some audio foam under to see if that would muffle some of the noise. Couldn’t enclose it totally for noise, heat, air and exhuast.

Anti social generators...

On the car rallies I go to, there is an 11pm curfew on generators.

You can, of course, still fire up the mainly unsilenced full race V8 (or V10, V12, IL6) at any time.

With the increased use of solar and led lighting.   I see generators being used more and more rarely.   Last weekend 3 nights off ehu, the battery  was showing fully charged by noon.   A couple of people have suggested lpg generators afaik these can’t be simply plugged into the bbq point as the they need a bigger regulator and a different pressure. 

2 hours ago, fred said:

With the increased use of solar and led lighting.   I see generators being used more and more rarely.   Last weekend 3 nights off ehu, the battery  was showing fully charged by noon.   A couple of people have suggested lpg generators afaik these can’t be simply plugged into the bbq point as the they need a bigger regulator and a different pressure. 

BBQ point was fine with an EU20i