Sign in to follow this  
Dobloseven

Machine Mart IG2200 generator

Posted (edited)

Anybody got any experience of these?We won't be usingit for caravanning as such, but as a temporary power source for working on a static caravan installation powering power tools etc. Had a look at one and it's bigger than I thought and a little weighty at 26kg.Seems to get good reviews apart from the size and weight,but it is a 2kw output.I think an inverter suitcase type would be more suitable thanthe cheaper open frame type. The saga of the static van and my cousins fire is on the static forum and hopefully if mains power is reinstated ASAP it won't be needed, but they're in stock so I can pick one up at short notice if needed. The regular price is about 470 pounds but they've a couple of returned ones with 6 months warranty for 350 which is probably what I'd go for as hopefully it won't be needed for long and if I don't feel a need to keep it, I'll sell it on. 

Edited by Dobloseven
Missed text

I haven't used one but the reviews are excellent on the Machine Mart website. I have got loads of Clarke equipment from MiG welders to hand tools and it has all been very good quality and the reviews have been accurate.  64 reviews currently with 5 stars on their website so that seems good.

If you don't mind waiting  and sign up for their mailing list then Machine Mart very frequently have VAT-free sales and you could pick up a brand new one for £388.

Hopefully we won't need one, but thinking ahead, I don't want the job to stop because of lack of elecricity and want to be able to pick one up at short notice. Must say I was a bit surprised how big they are. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, benshepherd said:

64 reviews currently with 5 stars on their website so that seems good.

Which published an article the other day about fake reviews on Amazon. I wonder if that practice is prevalent on other selling web sites.

If you look at the Amazon  reviews for the IG2200 generator you get a very different picture. It's difficult to know if you can trust any reviews these days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-IG2200-Inverter-Generator-campervan/dp/B004R70K3E

Edited by Nilrem

1 hour ago, Nilrem said:

Which published an article the other day about fake reviews on Amazon. I wonder if that practice is prevalent on other selling web sites.

If you look at the Amazon  reviews for the IG2200 generator you get a very different picture. It's difficult to know if you can trust any reviews these days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-IG2200-Inverter-Generator-campervan/dp/B004R70K3E

I wonder if caravan site reviews can be trusted?

• Haha 1

Ended up buying one on Good Friday. Paid 347 pounds, man carried it to the car for me. I had a can of petrol in the car ready so I asked him to show me how to start it. Of course it wouldn't start. He was very apologetic and took it back into the shop. Swapped it for the other returned one which wouldn't start either.Eventually he took the spark plug out the first one and got it going. He did offer a refund and he'd nothing else suitable but we'd got a GasSafe LPG engineer coming to sort the gas to the static in 30 minutes and he needed mains power to test the heating etc. Anyway we used it over the bank holiday for power tools etc.aswell. It's a bit of a devil to start sometimes and a bit noisier than I thought it would be too,but I suppose it's done what we bought it for. Not sure what the future holds for it though,when the static project is complete. 

9 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Not sure what the future holds for it though,when the static project is complete. 

Advertise it here...someone might need one for a hair dryer.

geoff

• Haha 1

Just had a look at wifes hairdrier and its 2000 watts so it'd only just be up to the job. Good point though, I've got some other caravanning bits to get rid of as well. 

3 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Just had a look at wifes hairdrier and its 2000 watts so it'd only just be up to the job. Good point though, I've got some other caravanning bits to get rid of as well. 

Yes those hairdryer need a fair bit of power. Only probably for 10 minutes max though.

If it is only needed for power tools and the like an inverter type is not necessary - you only need  that type if you are feeding electronic equipments such as laptops, TV, any phone/tablet chargers to be sure you won't hurt them.

My thinking was to buy one that would tick every box as I wasn't sure what else we'd need it for. Will perhaps have a play with it sometime with the caravan. See if it powers the microwave which we never use because we very rarely use EHUs. 

This Hyundai HY1000SI seems to be a good buy at £379 and it can be converted to run on gas.   May help us to decide to start using sites with no EHU as OH likes her TV and solar panel even on a hot day will not recharge the battery enough.

Looks a nice thing, but only 900watts,so limited use for power tools. Compared to the IG2200 it's 14kg against 26,50cc against 125.Would it power a microwave? Must say though, I'm quite fit and well and I wouldn't want to lift or carry the IG2200 far. Nor would I want one running for long next to me. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Looks a nice thing, but only 900watts,so limited use for power tools. Compared to the IG2200 it's 14kg against 26,50cc against 125.Would it power a microwave? Must say though, I'm quite fit and well and I wouldn't want to lift or carry the IG2200 far. Nor would I want one running for long next to me. 

A 900 watt generator wont drive a microwave and might actually damage it. Even a 700w microwave requires between 1200-1400 watts to peak powe. The 700w is the power that's delivered to the food, not the power that the microwave takes.

The starting current is quite a bit higher than the running current so you need plenty in reserve

We managed to destroy several submersible pumps when I was at work by trying to run them from underpowered generators (we damaged a generator as well)

This explains it

Microwave Ovens

These are rather nasty devices in that the "power control" is usually a timed on-off control of the magnetron. If the oven is set to any power other than full, the inrush is not only experienced at the start of cooking but every time the magnetron is energised.

This inrush can be in the form of three distinct bursts, the first two happening almost simultaneously being the magnetic inrush of the transformer followed by the charging of the high voltage capacitor. The third is when the filament of the magnetron warms and the oven draws current. Some ovens keep the filament warm so the inrush on timed on-off cycles consists of triple combination of all the above mentioned inrushes.

Our example was a decent high-power one (1.6kW input, 1kW output). As can be seen, the first peak is the transformer magnetising current and capacitor charge. This peaks to 56A for the first half cycle and then diminishes over the following cycles. This diminishing is typical of when there is not sufficient power transfer (high feed impedance) to charge the capacitor in the first half cycle.

Two aspects of the current curve are important here. The first is the serious power factor that appears as the capacitor is being charged. This is the effect of the inductance of the transformer not running at full power. The second is the prevelant curve imbalance (major peaks are only in one direction). This is as a direct result of half-wave rectification done in microwave ovens as the magnetrons operate at many kilovolts and full-wave rectification is expensive to accomplish.

Edited by matelodave

Be interesting to hear if anyone has used a generator succesfully (or unsuccessfully!) to power a caravan microwave. What wattage input and output etc. 

It’s 2kw for a hairdryer so I guess at least that for a microwave.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Be interesting to hear if anyone has used a generator succesfully (or unsuccessfully!) to power a caravan microwave. What wattage input and output etc. 

I have,  it is a Kipor IG 2000 running a 700w Microwave

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223497451155?ul_noapp=true

When the microwave is running the genny has to work harder but did the job

Edited by WeDesign

Just had a look at the ratings plate on the cheapie in the kitchen at home and it has an output of 800w and input of 1150-1280w so not too far from Mds figures. I'm guessing an IG 2000 would have a max of 2000w and around 1800w continuous. 

1 minute ago, Dobloseven said:

Just had a look at the ratings plate on the cheapie in the kitchen at home and it has an output of 800w and input of 1150-1280w so not too far from Mds figures. I'm guessing an IG 2000 would have a max of 2000w and around 1800w continuous. 

I believe continuous is 1600w

My IG2200 has a max of 2200w and a rating of 2000w. Should be OK then. How heavy is the Kipor? This is getting like generator Top Trumps! 

8 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Yep, many times, Honda EU20i feeding Darwin 800w microwave, dies it with ease.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

My IG2200 has a max of 2200w and a rating of 2000w. Should be OK then. How heavy is the Kipor? This is getting like generator Top Trumps! 

Off the top of my head a 2kw kippor is 23 to 26 kg and 1kw about 13kg.

Posted (edited)

There you go, lots of generators of all different sizes, prices and weights - take your pick it even tells you how noisy they all are

https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/portable-camping-caravan-generators.html

Edited by matelodave

1 hour ago, Odd days said:

Off the top of my head a 2kw kippor is 23 to 26 kg and 1kw about 13kg.

Is the Kipor quiet? I believe Honda are the quietest but expensive. 

13 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

We hardly ever use the microwave however OH watches a lot of Sky TV so it will be used to recharge the battery which will then power the TV and the Sky box.  Please can we avoid comments or phrases like "why watch Tv" or "we don't take a TV with us" etc, etc.  Each to their own!  :D

25 minutes ago, matelodave said:

There you go, lots of generators of all different sizes, prices and weights - take your pick

https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/portable-camping-caravan-generators.html

Same link I posted earlier.  They do have a good selection at reasonable prices.  If we were to buy a generator we would prefer a Honda, but the price is a killer.  A 2000w generator may offer more but you then have the weight to factor in when you are old and decrepit!  :D 

Another issue is the smell of petrol which makes an LPG generator a better option as you can probably connect it into the BBQ gas point on most caravans.  We have a Safefill bottle so refilling is not an issue and not expensive.