Sign in to follow this  
Weekend Traveller

Motor movers and liability.

5 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Except your motor insurance may not cover you on private property i.e. a CL/CS or other camp site.

Motor insurance provides, as a legally required minimum, third party liabilty on a road or other public place. A campsite is not necessarily a public place as, quite simply, it's not open to access by the general public, access being restricted to only those with business there - paying campers or invited guests.

Ah, good point I hadn’t thought of! 

However I feel the OP is SO sure he is right it’s a total waste of time trying to convince him otherwise. He doesn’t appear to have noticed that not a single other poster agrees with him. Must be a buzzer being the ONLY one in step.

Andy

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

To my mind it is crystal clear (but then I have had professional dealings with insurers over many years) 

Failure to disclose any “relevant information” COULD result in an insurer refusing to pay out for damage to YOUR caravan.

The wording of the question is “If you have been involved in any accident REGARDLESS OF FAULT” then failure to disclose it could be considered as withholding relevant information. That’s not my slant on it, it’s the way insurance companies operate. 

Remember they are experts in the insurance business and will have worded things VERY carefully indeed to THIER advantage. 

If you withhold relevant information (and it’s what THEY might consider relevant not you) then it’s done at your extreme peril. If you read any policy document somewhere it will define what they consider relevant, and it’s the EXACT wording of the policy that’s important because that’s what will be used in any dispute.

If in ANY doubt whatsoever tell them! 

I am sure Legal Legal Eagle will  confirm what I have said.

Andy

The question on the motor insurance form is in the context of accidents or other claims involving motor vehicles being driven by the applicant. It would include ANY material information which may affect the risk and, as you say Andy, they decide and define what is material information.

I know of police officers, paramedics and firefighters who have had non-fault accidents whilst driving in the course of their work who didn't notify their private car insurers, but they found out, and had renewals refused.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Except your motor insurance may not cover you on private property i.e. a CL/CS or other camp site.

Motor insurance provides, as a legally required minimum, third party liabilty on a road or other public place. A campsite is not necessarily a public place as, quite simply, it's not open to access by the general public, access being restricted to only those with business there - paying campers or invited guests.

If that's the case then not only me, but every one of us is uninsured when driving our towing vehicles on a campsite.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Weekend Traveller said:

If that's the case then not only me, but every one of us is uninsured when driving our towing vehicles on a campsite.

I did say MAY not cover. It will all depend on how good the motor insurer's fully comp. cover is. Some will cover private property use. It may also depend on what other cover may be held with regard to third party liability e.g. caravan insurance and travel insurance.

Edited by Legal Eagle

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

JetA1

I was responding to Lutz’s post, not the OP who clearly, as has been pointed out, is 100% certain that HIS view is the only valid one and the rest of us are brain dead for purchasing totally unnecessary insurance.

One day I am sure this attitude will bite him in the rear end, but of course we won’t get to hear about that will we??

Andy

Anybody who has studied mathematics knows you can never be 100% certain about anything, I don't claim that I am, so your assumption is wrong sir, all you can say is that an  outcome is more likely or less likely, more probable or less probable depending on the available evidence of risk factors.

In terms of relative risk, this can be assessed reasonably accurately if given a large enough sample size. A 95% confidence interval is the norm.

Everyone is at liberty  to decide what level of risk they wish to shoulder.

On 16/04/2019 at 10:41, Durbanite said:

Although an accident may be low down on the list of probabilities, the risk of fire is higher.  If the caravan catches fire and damages third party property, this could work out to be very expensive for the owner of the caravan.

I am not sure that is correct.  I believe that those suffering consequential losses would have to be able to prove negligence on the part of the owner/user of the first caravan.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

To my mind it is crystal clear (but then I have had professional dealings with insurers over many years) 

Failure to disclose any “relevant information” COULD result in an insurer refusing to pay out for damage to YOUR caravan.

The wording of the question is “If you have been involved in any accident REGARDLESS OF FAULT” then failure to disclose it could be considered as withholding relevant information. That’s not my slant on it, it’s the way insurance companies operate. 

Remember they are experts in the insurance business and will have worded things VERY carefully indeed to THIER advantage. 

If you withhold relevant information (and it’s what THEY might consider relevant not you) then it’s done at your extreme peril. If you read any policy document somewhere it will define what they consider relevant, and it’s the EXACT wording of the policy that’s important because that’s what will be used in any dispute.

If in ANY doubt whatsoever tell them! 

I am sure Legal Legal Eagle will  confirm what I have said.

Andy

I appreciate what you wrote, but sticking 100% to the way the relevant questionnaire that Griff cited is formulated, it wouldn't even exclude a domestic accident, although Jaydug's example is a little more specific in that respect. As you say, the insurance companies have cleverly worded things to their advantage. As my premium is potentially at stake, I would therefore expect them to say exactly want they want first and not leave it open to query in order to clarify. The very fact that I may have to seek clarification before answering could already have a negative effect on the insurance premium. I would therefore not consider any insurance company that requires any more than a clear statement from me regarding any vehicle insurance claims made, either by myself or by a third party against me.

Edited by Lutz
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The vast majority of us understand their questions :)

• Thanks 2

I live in southern Spain and if you own a caravan insurance is mandatory, no ifs or butts , on the other hand its not as expensive as uk caravan insurance, if they made it mandatory in the UK maybe the premiums would drop.

8 hours ago, Biscuit1946 said:

I live in southern Spain and if you own a caravan insurance is mandatory, no ifs or butts , on the other hand its not as expensive as uk caravan insurance, if they made it mandatory in the UK maybe the premiums would drop.

In your DREAMS!

Andy

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Biscuit1946 said:

Same in Germany, but at only €13 a year for €100 million third party coverage on my caravan it's hardly going to break the bank.

Edited by Lutz

Looks as if we are being ripped off in the UK where policies have £2.5 million third party cover. In recent years some insurers have started adding an admin fee of about £20 to policies including at renewal to increase profits, so if we could get a basic third party only policy it is going to cost a lot more than 13 euros.

23 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

Looks as if we are being ripped off in the UK where policies have £2.5 million third party cover. In recent years some insurers have started adding an admin fee of about £20 to policies including at renewal to increase profits, so if we could get a basic third party only policy it is going to cost a lot more than 13 euros.

In Germany, the minimum third party coverage required by law is €8.67 million (that's €7.5 million for personal injury plus €1.12 million for property damage and €50,000 for financial loss), but most insurance companies offer a blanket €100 million.

17 hours ago, Lutz said:

Same in Germany, but at only €13 a year for €100 million third party coverage on my caravan it's hardly going to break the bank.

Sign in to follow this