Sign in to follow this  
WoodBurner81

Hello & advice request

hello all - we are looking for our first caravan and i am trying to get my head around the legal side of things!

we have a 1.6 zafira 2002 comfort which can pull 1100kg, but we need a 4-berth van so the pickings seem rather slim

we could upgrade our car but problem is, my license only permits 3500kg

we could get a good price on an insignia right now but it has a MAM of 2310kg which restricts me to 1190kg anyway! even though it can tow 1600kg 

unless i am confusing things? please help

I think you have understood correctly. 

Your licence permits you to drive a car / trailer combination where the MAM of the car and the MAM of the trailer add up to 3500kg or less. 

As you are finding this can put limits on your choices, but there is still a broad choice out there

Bite the bullet and look at taking your B+E course & test.  not only will you gain the new licence, but the information gleaned from the instructor is very beneficial.

OR

If you like the Zafira then change it for a 1.9 diesel like mine and I towed a 1450kg caravan with it.

thanks for the replies everyone, glad I have got my head round it correctly...

Lost in the wilderness... cheers! any particular car/van combination suggestions? The caravans we are looking at come in at around 1400kg 

SeaDog - maybe in the future! I have no doubt it would be enlightening..

WispMan, I hadn't considered upgrading to the 1.9 diesel zafira, what is the MAM of that and relative towing capacity?

Posted (edited)
On 15/04/2019 at 20:12, WoodBurner81 said:

thanks for the replies everyone, glad I have got my head round it correctly...

Lost in the wilderness... cheers! any particular car/van combination suggestions? The caravans we are looking at come in at around 1400kg 

SeaDog - maybe in the future! I have no doubt it would be enlightening..

WispMan, I hadn't considered upgrading to the 1.9 diesel zafira, what is the MAM of that and relative towing capacity?

The PLATED maximum weights for the caravan and car must be under 3500 kg when added together .

I would look at older 4 berth caravans that are lighter than 1100 kg not having the mod cons that add weight like the newer models and something like a Sprite Alpine .

My nephew towed a 5 berth Sprite Alpine with his 1.6 Zafira . 850 kg 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave