Sign in to follow this  
Sh76

Mcb for the water heater/charger keeps tripping

After some advice please, we have just bought a new to us bailey ranger series 6,,the issue we have is that the mcb for the water heater/charger keeps tripping, I have spoken with 2 different people and they have given conflicting information,, any help would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance 

:welcome:

I believe some MCB's on caravans are cheap Chinese made and can trip so I suggest you source a better British or European MCB that will fit and has the same current tripping value.

Isolate the water heater and charger, in turn, and retest - if it only trips on one of them, the that appliance is faulty

Hi as per Wisperman 

but the origanal mcb are a different profile  to the British Standard  mcb

City elec factors do a range caled " protec "that will fit take your 's as a sample

Dave

MCBs are easier to replace than heating elements and it could be either at fault. 

Our present caravan was fitted with F&S Chinese variants and we started to have tripping problems quite early on.

Changed them to Protek breakers and not had any tripping over the last seven years since changing.

I'm quite new to the caravaning game, so apologies for the silly questions,, but, what's the likelihood of it just being the mcb rather than the charger or heating element, and is it easy enough to isolate the charger or heater 

The heater element failing is the most likely cause, but the most difficult and possibly expensive to fix.

In some vans the heater connects to the 230V supply via a normal 13A plug and the charger via a kettle type plug, in which case they are easy to isolate just by pulling the plug out. Sometime it is not that easy! I do not know about your particular van.

Most water heaters should have an isolating switch so you can service them - try switching it off or unplugging the heater to see if it's the heater element that's either gone short circuit or more likely got water in it.

Is it the MCB or the RCD thats tripping. The MCB is the one that's rated at 10amps or 16amps and the RCD is the one with the test button on it and shuts down the 240v to all he sockets in the caravan

42 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Most water heaters should have an isolating switch so you can service them - try switching it off or unplugging the heater to see if it's the heater element that's either gone short circuit or more likely got water in it.

Is it the MCB or the RCD thats tripping. The MCB is the one that's rated at 10amps or 16amps and the RCD is the one with the test button on it and shuts down the 240v to all he sockets in the caravan

It's the mcb that's tripping out, the rcd is fine as is the other mcb, it trips as soon as its switched on, it just works the water heater and charger 

2 hours ago, Stevan said:

The heater element failing is the most likely cause, but the most difficult and possibly expensive to fix.

In some vans the heater connects to the 230V supply via a normal 13A plug and the charger via a kettle type plug, in which case they are easy to isolate just by pulling the plug out. Sometime it is not that easy! I do not know about your particular van.

It's a 2009 ranger series 6 520/4 if that helps any. 

Electric (Water) heating elements seldom fail to low resistance.  They usually short to the earthed metal jacket that surrounds the element.  That fault will trip the RCD in the consumer unit (and the MCB the first time, but not normally afterwards).

Bailey vans have a double-pole fused spur connection unit near the water heater labelled water heater, unsurprisingly, but via a plastic stick on label that can come off?  Often the Truma gas control is adjacent to said mains switch.

The charger psu is built into the consumer unit on Bailey vans and more difficult to isolate especially if you are not confident with electrics and diy generally.  It would be safer to elicit help from someone in the family who is, or pay a suitably qualified electrician to sort it out?

It is also possible that a fault has occurred in the wiring from mcb to the appliances, and/or in the switches that are shorting live and neutral together.  But a faulty F&S MCB may well be the issue.

If its the MCB that feeds bothe the charger and the water heater then you need to isolate both of them and try them out one at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

As said above, try switching off the heater isolating switch (it's usually marker Water or Water Heater), they are double pole switches and so will isolate the heater. The charger is a bit harder to do as you've probably got to get to the back of it to disconnect the kettle plug.

It might be the MBC itself, but you can only test that by isolating the stuff that's connected to it to see if it trips on it's own. They aren't ever so expensive so it's easy enough to replace it with a new one (MAKE SURE THE VAN IS DISCONNECTED FROM THE MAINS FIRST)

I had the same problem as you in France a few years ago and turned out to be the charger. I pulled the kettle plug out from the rear of the charger and all was fine. I had to go out and purchase a cheap car battery charger and use this to get me through the holiday.

I had the same problem with our Bailey - can't remember if it was the Peg 462 or the Pageant Majestic S5 before it - but in our case the RCD was the issue. I found that a Schneider RCD (formerly known in the UK as MEM - currently £26 from Screwfix) was an exact fit except that the output of the RCD is fed to the MCBs by an insulated solid copper busbar system and the MCB entry holes were not in the same place. The OP will likely find that he has the same problem with any MCB he uses other than original manufacturer. The answer is to replace the busbar with 2.5mm or 4mm FLEX cable. Domestic mains wiring cable should NOT be used under any circumstances as it with in time break due to vibration in transit.