Sign in to follow this  
Halohodge

Isle of Wight ferry

Planning to go to Osbourne House as a day trip with car only, in May, what should I do or expect. Firstly do you have to book in advance or just turn up, secondly how much does it cost approx, thirdly do the Camping and Caravanning Club and Caravan and Motorhome Club give a discount. I will  be travelling in school term time from Portsmouth to Hyde, any advice wil be greatfully received.

Thanks

You will be travelling on what was, and possibly still is, Mile for mile, the most expensive ferry journey in the world.

However, a trip to Osbourne house makes it worth it, great visit.  And free to English Heritage members.  Just one trip to Osbourne give about half the membership fee.  And if you have Tesco points they can be used for membership purchase.

re. the ferry.  Both clubs give discounts.  Not sure if you need to be taking the van to get them.  Look through their faq’s or give them a call.

John

I would also look at wight link as Lymington to Yarmouth is 40 min crossing so might be quicker and cheaper .

Dave

4 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I would also look at wight link as Lymington to Yarmouth is 40 min crossing so might be quicker and cheaper .

Dave

Friend of mine uses Lyinton to avoid Southampton or Portsmouth.

Strangely, considering it's a longer journey, Southampton to East Cowes via Red Funnel is competitively priced and the views are interesting on the journey.  Also, Osbourne House is just up the road.

John

Can't you use a bike.  We were staying in the New Forest and had taken our bikes to cycle around the various trails.  We included a day trip to the Isle of Wight with our bikes only, and included 24 hour parking at the ferry terminal, and its great to cycle around the place rather than a car, and much, much cheaper.  You could go to France for 2 weeks rather than a day crossing to the Isle of Wight:D

3 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Can't you use a bike.  We were staying in the New Forest and had taken our bikes to cycle around the various trails.  We included a day trip to the Isle of Wight with our bikes only, and included 24 hour parking at the ferry terminal, and its great to cycle around the place rather than a car, and much, much cheaper.  You could go to France for 2 weeks rather than a day crossing to the Isle of Wight:D

!!!!!!!!!!

• Confused 1

I seem to remember that for a car we were charged about £45 return a couple of years ago.

And charged £9 each to fly back from Granada (Spain) to Manchester.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

You are having a laugh!!!!!!

Wightlink prices for both its routes are the same.

Taking a random date in May the prices for Wightlink are:

Outward early morning £29.50 rising to £42.50 the later in the morning

Return up to the 7pm boat £37 then from 8 pm £29.75

So cheapest crossing is £59.50 with Wightlink .

The Op is strongly advised to book in advance as at certain times you are not allowed into the terminals until 1 hour before your booked sailing, no booking = no sailing !!!!!!!!

Edited by Brecon

3 hours ago, Halohodge said:

Planning to go to Osbourne House as a day trip with car only, in May, what should I do or expect. Firstly do you have to book in advance or just turn up, secondly how much does it cost approx, thirdly do the Camping and Caravanning Club and Caravan and Motorhome Club give a discount. I will  be travelling in school term time from Portsmouth to Hyde, any advice wil be greatfully received.

Thanks

why not ask the ferry company if you can just turn up, cost and discount or do you mean these questions for Osbourne House?

macafee2

It could be cheaper to fly to Paris and then swim to the IOW.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My only bit of advice would be .............

Research, research, research! 

Just be prepared for a VERY nasty shock when you find out the ferry prices. Might be worth looking to see if there is a bus from wherever you plan landing on the I.O.W. to Osborne House and going across as a foot passenger. It all honesty it might even be cheaper to go as a foot passenger and get a taxi to and from Osborne! Yes the ferry prices really are THAT ludicrous. As others have said,  Dover -Calais is cheaper.

Andy

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

In all honesty it might even be cheaper to go as a foot passenger and get a taxi to and from Osborne!

If the OP goes on the vehicle ferry as a passenger and lands at East Cowes, there is a taxi rank at the terminal and the cost will be around £4 as it is only a mile or so up the road.

There are buses from just across the road which go every 30 minutes and will cost around £3

So, £18 boat (or £11.50 if over 60) plus taxi or bus equals a LOT less than a car.

Edited by Brecon

Look at both Wightlink and Red Funnel for day returns you often find deals for a car and up to five passengers.

Found these discounts, need testing at the checkout to see if it works.

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/ferries/ferry-operators/wightlink-ferries/

As for Red Funnel, I got an automatic discount as a CMC. member but that may only apply to an outfit.  They also had no problem with me paying with Trscomvouchers.

John

13 hours ago, Brecon said:

You are having a laugh!!!!!!

Wightlink prices for both its routes are the same.

Taking a random date in May the prices for Wightlink are:

Outward early morning £29.50 rising to £42.50 the later in the morning

Return up to the 7pm boat £37 then from 8 pm £29.75

So cheapest crossing is £59.50 with Wightlink .

The Op is strongly advised to book in advance as at certain times you are not allowed into the terminals until 1 hour before your booked sailing, no booking = no sailing !!!!!!!!

Osbourne house is North of the Island and Lymington is just a quick jump across the Solent to the north .

Dave

18 hours ago, JCloughie said:

Friend of mine uses Lyinton to avoid Southampton or Portsmouth.

John, I think you mean Lymington to Yarmouth ;) 

18 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Can't you use a bike.  

Having cycled on the IOW many times, you have to be aware of the steep hills around much of the island, otherwise a bike would be fine as it's only a couple of miles and a gentle climb from Cowes to Osborne House. I don't know the fitness of the OP but if it were me I'd probably go as a foot passenger from Southampton then walk from the East Cowes ferry to Osborn house as there is a public footpath all the way.

Gordon

21 minutes ago, Gordon said:

John, I think you mean Lymington to Yarmout

Yes it was, Can’t even blame spellcheck for that.

22 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Cowes ferry to Osborn house as there is a public footpath all the way.

Gordon

Or Osbourne!

Touché. 🙀

John

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

Osbourne house is North of the Island and Lymington is just a quick jump across the Solent to the north .

Dave

Why are you telling me that? I live here I know where things are !!!!

What you don't say is that Yarmouth is 14 miles away from Osborne House

Edited by Brecon

45 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

Or Osbourne!

Touché. 🙀

John

There's no "U" in Osborne. 

Truce? :D

Gordon.

Foot passenger on red jet from Southampton, meander along Cowes high street, loads of nice coffee shops and restaurants, chain ferry from east to west and then a gentle stroll to Osborne House, this is assuming of course its not peeing down.

Am doing this trip about once a week at the moment for work and it can be really pleasant and is by far the cheaper and easier route across them there golden plated waters!!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gordon said:

There's no "U" in Osborne. 

Truce? :D

Gordon.

Serves me right for copying everyone else.  I blame the OP for starting it.

John

Edited by JCloughie
  • Haha 1

Went a couple of years ago, would most definitely recommend go as a foot passenger and get the bus or cab, this would be much cheaper than taking the car. As mentioned the port is a short ish walk from the House, but I wouldn't fancy it after walking around the gardens as there is a fair bit of walking on site. 

7 hours ago, Jacko1 said:

chain ferry from east to west

If it is working !!!!!

As long as the wind is not too strong, or the tide is not too high or too low , or the ramps work, or the chains engage with the drive wheels, or the navigation system is working properly ( I don't know why they need a nav system, the stupid thing is on two chains!!!!!!)

• Confused 1

Sign in to follow this