Sign in to follow this  
McLauchlin

shower which is either scorching hot or freezing

I have recently bought a coachman pastiche 545, it’s great apart from the shower which is either scorching hot or freezing.  Any ideas

Lots of the shower taps unlike domestic showers are not thermostatic and can be extremely sensitive. The hot water temperatures can be higher too making it appear there's no middle ground. I'm sure you have tried but what works for me is start the shower on full hot, move the temperature control to the centre after 5 seconds. Then very small adjustments, only 5 mm on the end of the handle towards hotter of cooler but leave it 3 or 4 seconds before making further adjustments it takes a longish time for the changes to reach the shower head due to relatively low flow rates. Once you've established a comfortable temperature not the position of the temp controls and go straight back there after the startup 5 seconds of full hot.

The other thing you may want to check is scale buildup on the shower head may be reducing flow, see if you can get adjustable temperature without the shower head on, if that is the case drop the head in a bowl of vinegar.

I agree with AJGalaxy2012.  It's a case of fiddling with the balance between the hold and cold taps.

However, because the amount of hot water is limited, and I don't want to waste any nor burn myself, I start with cold, then increase the hot.

Oh , and don't let anyone else use the water (hot or cold) whilst using the shower.

Edited by daveat92

To solve this problem on my caravan I bought & fitted a Honeywell  thermostatic mixing valve & fitted it to the pipes before it gets to the shower. It's the sort of thing they fit to bidets & some care homes. It's set at I think 42 I just get in the shower, turn it to max heat & only have to adjust it very slightly. A great bit of kit. 

This is is the one I fitted: Honewell TM200VP 

• Like 1

Did they give any problems with domestic fittings to caravan water fittings?

10 hours ago, McLauchlin said:

the shower is either scorching hot or freezing.  Any ideas

My solution to the problem was to remove the shower hose from the union, then fit a straight radiator valve in its place.   The shower hose goes onto the other end of the valve.   Once the water temperature is adjusted at the hot and cold taps, they are always left in their adjusted position.    Water flow is controlled by the rad valve.

1844869538_Caravanshower.jpg.2c4b6e52b8793a81c374532377c46489.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/Images/Models/Full/4012.jpg A bit like the solution above, we have a Whale Elegance shower head where the spray outlet rotates to shower, stream or off. We rarely touch the taps.

Edited by hawkaye

I also fitted a TMV. otherwise our shower was dangerous, I spoke to Alde and they recommend to manufacturers that tmv's are fitted but as it is not the law they don't fit them

IMG_1291.JPG

No our New Elegance the shower head has a push button switch at the base of the head handle. I have not tried it. But I think you set up the temperature of the water by the lever for the shower, then turn it on & off, via this button, when you do the wet, soap, rinse routine. Not having to alter the lever position to control the on off?

Going to a fully serviced, adults only on Thursday, so will give it a go! It's something like this?

51IcHlzs50L._SL1500_[1].jpg

On 14 April 2019 at 08:43, David 38 said:

Did they give any problems with domestic fittings to caravan water fittings?

I did a similar job to the one in post 9 though made up soldered connections & held the flexible pipes to the copper ones with jubilee clips. 

In practise what happens is the hot & cold pipes go into the mixing valve & water comes out at the preselected temperature, I think mine is set at about 43 C  The hot terminates at the mixer & you tee off from the cold to the shower head. In practise I have the shower on fully hot, then back off a bit as necessary, it's so much better now. Ought to be a mandatory fitting or a  decent thermostatic shower tap. 

Alde advise not to use any copper fittings in their system.

16 hours ago, solarpower said:

Alde advise not to use any copper fittings in their system.

It's in the hot water system, not the heating system. 

I just fitted a TMV today.

TMV bought through Amazon for £28.98.  After lots of searching on line, got a 10mm brass barbed equal tee for £2.96, from local pneumatic supplies centre.  Three extra jubilee clips for the hose connections on the barbed tees (Never a drip with.... ) 

A bit of a faff getting the existing hoses off the barbed equal tee connectors, but got there in the end.

I decided to use hoses for the connections to the TMV, so cut down an old water hose from a washing machine, which was a good fit for the 15mm olive and union nut into which I slipped an inch of 10mm copper tube into the hose to give it strength and rigidity.  The barbed tees fitted the hose nicely too!  The existing hoses were not suitable for connecting directly to the TMV

All connected up and the job's a good-un, even if it looks a bit of a bird's nest!

Had to adjust the temperature to our liking, but it all works well.

image.png.649343decd7419427f2b3842899e5b49.png

Edited by Wunny