Sign in to follow this  
bharatchugh

Hello & Namaste from India!!

Dear Members, 

A big hello from Bangalore, India. I recently received my Swift Sprite Major 6 (2018) van here in India. My plan is to introduce caravan culture to my country. I hope to enlist your help from time to time where technical know-how & maintenance matters are concerned.

Thank you.

Bharat Chugh

• Like 3

Welcome and I am sure our members would be happy to help with any queries you may have.

:welcome: to Caravan Talk. I hope your Sprite Major proves to be comfortable and reliable.

Gordon.

Yes, welcome from me, too. Some time ago I was invited by a Chinese caravan manufacturer to provide some support in technical aspects of caravan design and production and spent a couple of weeks at his facilities in Hefei, China. Later this year I am due to go on an assignment to a supplier to the vehicle industry in Pune, India, (however, nothing to do with caravans this time) so I have some knowledge of the specific requirements of the vehicle industry in Asia. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

:welcome:Bharat, I didn't realise that India did not have a  touring caravan community, I googled caravanning in India and found this link, so it would seem that other people are also thinking the same as you.  Are you planning to introduce caravanning to the local people or will it be for tourists mainly?

http://www.shalusharma.com/caravanning-in-india/

Posted (edited)

Welcome Bharat, I hope that the roads are sufficiently good to tow your Sprite Major without damage.

Then I stopped and thought a bit.

Touring caravans survive the pot holed roads in the UK & the general condition of our roads are terrible so I'm sure that it will be fine :D

Edited by springtime

We spent a fortnight in Goa in January. IMO it's not the potholes that will kill off caravan, it's the hugely aggressive speed humps that seem to be everywhere. 

Good luck Bharat !

:welcome:  Bharat

John

@WispMan @Gordon @Lutz @joanie @springtime @hawkaye @JCloughie

Thank you for being so warm & welcoming. :)

I am a partner at Adventrip India. We are a small startup operating in the comfort / luxury camping space in India. The marketplace is very miniscule & we're hoping to change that. Apart from import, sales & maintenance of caravans, we also are in the holiday rental space. We realise that if towable & motorhomes are to work anywhere, the infrastructure must go hand in hand with them. To that goal, we're also enabling the setting up of parks & facilities within private properties in our region first. Currently we're offering caravans & trailer tents within the rental space. If anyone should be visiting India anytime soon, do make time for us to take you out on a trip.

@Lutz Would love to hear more about the Chinese firm that's manufacturing vans. Also, see if you have a few days extra on your visit to India. Maybe we could take you on a trip. We're based in Bangalore,  an hours flight from Pune. 

@joanie There may only be a handful of Indians familiar with touring RVs here. We've taken up the mammoth (most would say stupid) task of spawning the joy in India. The lack of knowledge is the first topic to address here... they can't tell the difference in a touring van & a motorhome now.

@springtime @hawkaye The potholes are okay, but like you said the speed humps are the challenge... hope the vans will be able to handle them. Hope you enjoyed you trip to Goa.

Enjoy spring everyone. Cheers.

Welcome, I know a company (Basecamp?) tried to promote touring caravans in India a few years back and started to import one or two models over there, I think the problem was the lack of infrastructure (camp sites etc) as well as the fact that towing a holiday home behind a car just wasn't known in India.

My wife is Indian and her (UK) family also don't really understand the appeal of a caravan so it's going to be a tough job marketing it over there but I wish you all the success.  Talking to her side of the family they were saying that hap-hazard road traffic regulations mean that actually registering and using a trailer based caravan isn't easy as there simply isn't a category/recognition of them in the regulations, along with no real industry for the supply and fitting of towbars/hitches to cars out there.

Having said all this, India is a big country with some excellent opportunities for touring caravan use away from the cities, so if this works it'll be a great success!

• Like 1