Sign in to follow this  
Stevan

TPMS

We decided today to change the van, and I have come to the conclusion that TPMS will provide better protection than tyron bands.

I looked at various websites and can find plenty of very reasonably priced four wheel systems (£50 or thereabouts), several very cheap four wheel systems but only a , few six wheel systems, all rather expensive at around £200 or more.

Since my car does not have proper TPMS I would very much prefer a six wheel system but cannot find one at a sensible mid range price.

Anybody know where I can get one?

Consider buying two 4-wheel systems - no harm having spare capacity and spare senders.

7 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Consider buying two 4-wheel systems - no harm having spare capacity and spare senders.

I had thought of that, but it would involve more dashboard space and the possibility that the two systems would interfere with each other.

• Like 1

I have a 6 sensor Tyepal set, but not very impressed with the sensors.

The first 6 all had to be replaced within warranty, and the replacement ones are heavy on batteries or simply fail.

I believe Michelin do a set, but I've never actually seen any in the flesh, or used them.

I have a TyrePal TC 215B with 4 sensors.

Has worked faultlessly for 2 years now and it will monitor up to 22 sensors.

Mentioned to them at the last show that it was a pity that pressures cannot be checked before moving off.

The rep said they can and I was given the routine for doing it, not tried it yet, looks a bit of a faff.

7 minutes ago, Griff said:

The rep said they can and I was given the routine for doing it, not tried it yet, looks a bit of a faff.

What was the routine they suggested?

10 minutes ago, PhilC said:

What was the routine they suggested?

Press & hold CODE 4 - 5 secs
Scroll to tyre position
Hold monitor next to sensor
Press & release CODE
LF will show, press & hold CODE to go back to Home screen
Pressure should show

LF is some low frequency reading apparently.

As I said, not tried it but the rep just rattled it straight off and wrote it down for me.

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

Anybody know where I can get one?

The six sensor kit which I'm currently using was bought off ebay a couple of years ago.     It's identical to this one.

Which is also similar to the TyrePal model but without the logo.  The monitor springs to life as soon as I bang the door shut and although it cycles through from the car sensors to the caravan wheels, it shows the caravan pressures as they were on it's last outing.   The caravan only needs to move a few feet for the monitor to renew.     

Another happy Tyrepal TC 215B user. Had it for about 4 years now and it has worked totally faultlessly. I have needed to replace a couple of sensor batteries but that all.

I have 4 sensors on the car full time and the other two on the caravan. It’s as simple as pressing two buttons to tell the dash unit whether  I have (or have not) got the caravan hitched.  Give real time readout of tyre pressure and temperature. If a sensor detects a problem an alarm sounds and a red light flashes. It’s better than most “fitted from new” systems as it identifies which tyre has an issue, the factory fit systems just tell you there is a “problem” but doesn’t identify which tyre!! 

With the cost of new tyres these days the cost of the Tyrepal system is only slightly more than a single tyre for my car. 

Wouldn't DREAM of towing without it now.

My set up shows the tyre pressures about 20-30 seconds after moving off! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

1 hour ago, Griff said:

As I said, not tried it but the rep just rattled it straight off and wrote it down for me.

Thanks for that.  Will give it a go at the weekend.   Not being able to read the pressure without moving the wheels is the only snag I have with TypePal; everything else is excellent.

They don't seem to do a 8 system on eBay ?

Dave

5 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

Try Amazon.

20190410_080753.thumb.jpg.2278c2ebbf19a2f1f67a0e08f2c01838.jpg

19 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

TyrePal direct are actually cheaper at £220 :)

https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/tc215b-monitor-with-6-external-sensors/

Ah!! Just spotted the difference, my link is for a SIX not eight wheel system, doh :wub:

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

If you're a member of the CMC, Tyrepal is available as a discounted member offer. The 6 wheel set is £180.

12 hours ago, daveat92 said:

I have a 6 sensor Tyepal set, but not very impressed with the sensors.

The first 6 all had to be replaced within warranty, and the replacement ones are heavy on batteries or simply fail.

I believe Michelin do a set, but I've never actually seen any in the flesh, or used them.

We bought the Michelin set to replace the Tyrepal, but too many downsides to it so we returned and stuck with the Tyrepal.  Seems to chew batteries for breakfast and one of the sensors packed in after just 2 weeks usage.

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We bought the Michelin set to replace the Tyrepal, but too many downsides to it so we returned and stuck with the Tyrepal.  Seems to chew batteries for breakfast and one of the sensors packed in after just 2 weeks usage.

Odd, my sensor batteries last 18 months + Car does around 15K a year so it’s not as if they are sat idle 

Andy

I have a TyrePal TC 215B with 6 sensors and it works very well.

Whatever you get must be able to reliably operate over the distance from the caravan wheels to the monitor. 

6 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

I have a TyrePal TC 215B with 6 sensors and it works very well.

Whatever you get must be able to reliably operate over the distance from the caravan wheels to the monitor. 

I have a 5m car and 7.4m single axle caravan, never had any comms issues whatsoever. Monitor is usually in the centre console in front of gear selector (I used to put atop the dash but I now trust it 100% to alert me to anything so don’t need to keep looking at it every 30 seconds like wot I used to!!!)

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

. Monitor is usually in the centre console in front of gear selector

Does the solar panel get enough light there - or do you have it plugged in?

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Sorry, not clear to me.

Which unit "chew(s) batteries for breakfast and one of the sensors packed in after just 2 weeks usage." - the Tyrepal or Michelin?

33 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Does the solar panel get enough light there - or do you have it plugged in?

Tyrepal TC215B monitor doesn't have a solar panel and lasts up to 60 hours on a full charge.

The Tyrepal colour monitor has a solar panel but cannot be used on trailers.

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Odd, my sensor batteries last 18 months + Car does around 15K a year so it’s not as if they are sat idle 

Andy

You gave me the heads up on type of battery and shortly after we replaced the batteries in all the sensors.  One trip later the one sensor died on the rear nearside wheel.  When we are away next I will have a play around to see if it is the battery or whether the TPMS lost the setting recognising the sensor.

18 hours ago, Griff said:

Press & hold CODE 4 - 5 secs
Scroll to tyre position
Hold monitor next to sensor
Press & release CODE
LF will show, press & hold CODE to go back to Home screen
Pressure should show

LF is some low frequency reading apparently.

I've just tried this for the last hour and can't get the pressure to display.  All's fine until the last line "Pressure should show".  It doesn't.