Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Gasman

towing after age 70

Hi I'm trying to find out if I will need a medical to keep my licence to tow a caravan over 3.5 tons when I reach 70.  I have found conflicting advice on line, does anyone here know the answer please? 

6 minutes ago, the gasman said:

Hi I'm trying to find out if I will need a medical to keep my licence to tow a caravan over 3.5 tons when I reach 70.  I have found conflicting advice on line, does anyone here know the answer please? 

As far as I'm aware, if you already have a full B+E entitlement it will automatically be added to your new licence on re-application at 70. I think full medicals are just for C & D licences, you just have to meet the minimum eyesight requirements for B + E. 

Have you looked on the gov.uk website?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, the gasman said:

You must have a very heavy tow vehicle for a caravan over 3.5 tons perhaps a showman's licence?  ;)

When you are getting close to your 70th birthday, DVLA will remind you that you have to renew your driving licence. The procedure is very simple and you can do it on line and it costs nothing, Your licence will renew with B and B+E groups if you had them before.

The 3500Kg limit for B group is the train weight (Maximum plated weight of car + maximum plated weight of caravan).

With a B+E group on your licence you can drive a car with maximum plated weight up to 3,500Kg towing a trailer up to Maximum plated weight 3,500Kg. 

You can drive a vehicle up to 3500kg and tow whatever that vehicle is legally able to tow with your B+E after 70 (providing you held that category before 70).  A medical is only needed if you wish to retain the heavier vehicle C categories.

26 minutes ago, the gasman said:

Perhaps you are referring to the whole outfit weight being in excess of 3500Kgs? The gov.uk site is very muddled with bits of information all over the place, but you should receive the renewal forms in the post. For a licence beyond B+E, yes your GP will need to complete a medical form, and your optician another one.

Thank you everyone for the fast replies.  I had a motorhome before and that would have needed a medical after 70 for over 3.5 tons. good to know I won't need one now

1 hour ago, the gasman said:

Thank you everyone for the fast replies.  I had a motorhome before and that would have needed a medical after 70 for over 3.5 tons. good to know I won't need one now

You will though need to complete a medical questionnaire and that might trigger DVLA to investigate further

Out of interest, for those having chosen to retain the full pre 70 entitlement i.e. 8250 kg, and have actually taken the medical, what medical were checks were performed on them on the day.

27 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

You will though need to complete a medical questionnaire and that might trigger DVLA to investigate further

Why would he need to do that?

13 minutes ago, Griff said:

Out of interest, for those having chosen to retain the full pre 70 entitlement i.e. 8250 kg, and have actually taken the medical, what medical were checks were performed on them on the day.

Have a look here    www.hgvtraining.co.uk/hgv-medical/    from what I remember (ee when I were a lad, etc) It's nothing to worry about unless you have a condition which causes you to fail it! 

I've just had to do my 70 birthday renewal and took a copy of my old paper licence to ensure I retained all my entitlements, motorcycle and B+E . You do have to answer some medical questions and if you have a condition that's listed the DVLA may want further information. I will add, I've no intention of riding motorcycles any more :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I note that most contributors say things like B+E "if you had it before."

If the OP is coming up 70 he will likely have taken his driving test long before 1997 so will have Grandparent rights which automatically provide the modern B+E. This permits towing of a gross train weight of up to 7500Kg plus an unbraked trailer of up to 750Kg. There is no need for a medical.

However if the driver has C1 (e.g. for a motorhome over 3500Kg) on the old licence then renewal application cannot be done on line. As C1 includes PCVs then a medical should be needed (agreed the gov.uk web site is not too helpful in this area.)

Edited by Woodentop
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ern said:

Why would he need to do that?

At age 70, and every 3-year renewal thereafter, you have to complete a DL1 or D46P which include medical questions - the standard is the same as a first licence but has to be declared at each renewal.

DVLA have increased their vigilance and investigate many more applications since the Glasgow bin lorry accident.

As an aside - any driver admitting to consuming more than the NHS guideline of 14 units/week of alcohol is considered by DVLA as "alcohol misuse or dependence" - that's nearly everyone! They don't investigate unless something else triggers their attention though.

To be clear, at 70 you self declare online and get a new 3 year licence by return in the post.

You only need a medical if wanting to retain C1 rights and for me, that meant being able to drive a minibus from the Community Transport. I decided against the mecical and so we use younger people to hire a minibus.

Then 3 years later you do it again online and off you go again for 3 years.

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

I have some time to go but so far so good

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

I note that most contributors say things like B+E "if you had it before."

If the OP is coming up 70 he will likely have taken his driving test long before 1997 so will have Grandparent rights which automatically provide the modern B+E. This permits towing of a gross train weight of up to 7500Kg plus an unbraked trailer of up to 750Kg. There is no need for a medical.

However if the driver has C1 (e.g. for a motorhome over 3500Kg) on the old licence then renewal application cannot be done on line. As C1 includes PCVs then a medical should be needed (agreed the gov.uk web site is not too helpful in this area.)

Thanks

1 hour ago, johntog said:

I've just had to do my 70 birthday renewal ......I will add, I've no intention of riding motorcycles any more :rolleyes:

Shame on you Sir!

I'm still riding at 62, albeit only a 300cc Enduro bike. My brother still rides (with great spirit too!) at 73 - he's just bought a new Kawasaki 1000.

Alwyn, does he tow a Caravan with it to ? Would have enough power I would think  ?

32 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

Shame on you Sir!

I'm still riding at 62, albeit only a 300cc Enduro bike. My brother still rides (with great spirit too!) at 73 - he's just bought a new Kawasaki 1000.

I do miss it at times. I was into rebuilding classic brit bikes, Triumphs, BSAs and my favorite, Sunbeam S7 deluxe. Still meet up with friends from the Sunbeam owners fellowship at a pub. A painful neck condition and arthritis in my hips and hands meant riding became very uncomfortable and took all the enjoyment away so it was time to quit. Not being able to look properly over my shoulder and being distracted  by pain was a recipe for disaster also. 

6 hours ago, Weather Watcher said:

You can drive a vehicle up to 3500kg and tow whatever that vehicle is legally able to tow with your B+E after 70 (providing you held that category before 70).  A medical is only needed if you wish to retain the heavier vehicle C categories.

A medical is also required for  Category D (minibus) cost is variable depending upon your doctor, would expect it to be £75-£100

There's' no such thing as an ex-motorcyclist, only a motorcyclist without a bike at the moment

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

There's' no such thing as an ex-motorcyclist, only a motorcyclist without a bike at the moment

I made sure they carried Group A on when I renewed at age 70 - although I've not ridden for nearly 50 years.

1 hour ago, johntog said:

I do miss it at times. I was into rebuilding classic brit bikes, Triumphs, BSAs and my favorite, Sunbeam S7 deluxe. Still meet up with friends from the Sunbeam owners fellowship at a pub. A painful neck condition and arthritis in my hips and hands meant riding became very uncomfortable and took all the enjoyment away so it was time to quit. Not being able to look properly over my shoulder and being distracted  by pain was a recipe for disaster also. 

I gave up in 2009 when my arthritic right hip locked solid as I went to mount my 1955 Triumph Thunderbird T6. As fellow bikers ran to assist, I remember shouting, 'Never mind me, just catch the bike!'.

Have since had both hips replaced, discovered the delights of cruising as well as caravanning, and also bought a hovel in France [6 month project that has just started Year 9 ...], so I have neither the time, nor the Bank balance to acquire another motorbike, alas. Next thing is a caravan upgrade ... just to keep the Bank Manager guessing :lol:

Steve

1 hour ago, terve said:

A medical is also required for  Category D (minibus) cost is variable depending upon your doctor, would expect it to be £75-£100

Agreed but caravanners/motorhomers are only usually concerned about Cat C.

Sign in to follow this