Sign in to follow this  
Paul90125

User payload

I’m sure this must have been asked before but I can’t find a thread. Can anyone suggest what their “typical” 2 person user payload  for about a week is?  I’m not thinking about fixtures/fittings etc - I mean the sort of items you can load or unload the van with - clothes, food, cutlery, aquaroll etc, the sort of things you have to take with you on every caravan jaunt.

Thanks

Paul

I think you'll get as many different answers as replies. Often it's the lady of the house who determines how much is taken - what clothes are absolutely necessary and what kitchen equipment they simply can't do without. If I deduct the fixtures and fittings I would think that in our case it's about 150kg, but then we don't normally go away for just one week.

It's the word "typical" that really opens up this question. From what I've seen people off-load from their 'van, the answer is too much.  A while ago, a very nice lady on an adjacent pitch was showing off her caravan to my wife. Her Idea off payload was that if it fits in a cupboard, it comes with us. Top cupboards full of tinned food, wardrobes crammed to capacity, you name it.

Gather what you think you want. Weigh it, bit by bit, with luggage scales. Now take away (this is where the -er-" discussion" starts) what you think you can live without, until you get back down to your 'van's user payload. My wife and I are still "discussing" this issue after 5 years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paul90125 said:

I’m sure this must have been asked before but I can’t find a thread. Can anyone suggest what their “typical” 2 person user payload  for about a week is?  I’m not thinking about fixtures/fittings etc - I mean the sort of items you can load or unload the van with - clothes, food, cutlery, aquaroll etc, the sort of things you have to take with you on every caravan jaunt.

Thanks

Paul

In my case where I store my ATC and  motor mover fitted caravan containing awning, aquaroll, cutlery, crockery, cooking utensils, bedding  and wastemaster and other caravaning necessities 130 miles from my home there is very little remaining payload. This means that I have to make do with 2 pairs of clean undies and a clean hanky.

When my companion joins me bringing with her a 30kg suitcase for an overnight visit the case stays in the tug.

In practice the "extras" are carried in  the estate car towing vehicle and sometimes some of the caravan stored contents are transferred to the tug when travelling.

With a previous caravan which was also stored we were able to make use of the caravan facilities for comfort breaks. We have not found a way of doing this with the present caravan which we have had for 9 years and have to rely on motorway services.

We carry most stuff like clothes, food, awning etc in the vehicle and not the caravan.

• Like 1

+1 with Lutz.

For the 2 of us plus 2 Labradors our load is whatever the maximum for the caravan applies and 150kg is about right.

It has been suggested in the past that we could manage without the spare wheel, gas bottle(s), aquarolls, waste container etc if we went all electric to a fully serviced site and/or do shopping when we arrive and/or load everything into the tug. 

We now go seasonal.  It's cheaper than  divorce.

13 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We carry most stuff like clothes, food, awning etc in the vehicle and not the caravan.

+1  We carry Awning and groundsheet, outdoor chairs and table etc in the car  ( it's why we run an estate car ) and try to keep caravan payload down to a reasonable level.   :)

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

With the amount of payload available with a caravan now a day, with a motor mover fitted and a battery  by the time the essentials like bedding, cutlery pots & pans are loaded not much can be carried in the caravan to stay within the maximum payload available for just two of us we just take enough clothing for duration which with the awning is carried in the tow vehicle as for food we don't carry any we just buy local.

I have a very reasonable 460 Kg user payload, so that’s 10 Kg for me and 450 Kg for my Mrs 😂😂😂😂

• Like 2

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

9 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I have a very reasonable 460 Kg user payload, so that’s 10 Kg for me and 450 Kg for my Mrs 😂😂😂😂

Have you actually weighed your caravan empty or are you going by a published unladen weight? Mine is supposed to weigh 1410kg empty, but with all permanent fixtures and equipment and before food, clothing, bedding and personal items are added it actually weighs 1675kg. Fortunately it's rated at 1800kg.

12 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

That's 64% of my daughter's caravan's 700kg unladen weight. BTW the caravan is a Freedom.;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

1 hour ago, Leedslad said:

+1  We carry Awning and groundsheet, outdoor chairs and table etc in the car  ( it's why we run an estate car ) and try to keep caravan payload down to a reasonable level.   :)

John.

By having to carry the everyday living items such as clothes and food in the towing vehicle is another way of saying that the payload allowance of the caravan is insufficient, however I can understand additional equipment such as an awning or outdoor chairs not being catered for.

Regardless of what you think is a reasonable payload, often by the time the essentials such as battery, gas cylinder(s), a mains cable an possibly a little water for the cassette loo are loaded there is precious little allowance left for personal items, such as clothes. Obviously the amount of clothing will depend on the duration of the holiday and time of year but it is unlikely it will be possible to carry it all legally in most caravans.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

38 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Have you actually weighed your caravan empty or are you going by a published unladen weight? Mine is supposed to weigh 1410kg empty, but with all permanent fixtures and equipment and before food, clothing, bedding and personal items are added it actually weighs 1675kg. Fortunately it's rated at 1800kg.

No I haven’t, I always travel with the water tank full (helps with Noseweight) 50 Kg, aircon 40Kg, mover 40 Kg, bikes and frame 30 Kg, Thule Omnistor 40 Kg so that’s about 200 Kg gone already, I don’t think we come anywhere near 260 Kg with the rest of our stuff.

Fully laden car and caravan is 5030 Kg, great fun if you like watching fuel gauges move

We have a Gobur Folding Caravan, so are tight for both space and payload. MIRO is 825kg plus Leisure Battery, Spare Wheel & Carrier and Motor Mover. MTPLM is 1050kg and the loaded van tipped the weighbridge at 980kg before we loaded pots, crockery, bedding & mattress topper and clothing [latter has to fit in 4 tiny drawers [and my drawers aren't tiny ...]]. I'm reasonably confident that the bathroom scales are quite accurate [personal weigh check v. recent hospital weight check], so my final MTPLM is around 1045kg, including 10kg for the Adblue Container in the front box and my toolbox that are needed to achieve adequate noseweight.

Remaining clothes and awning are carried in the back of the car, along with copious amounts of porridge [since discovered that the brand stocked by Mercadona is quite good so can leave Scottish oats behind on the next trip ...]

We spent 58 nights in Gobby in France and Spain during December and January and we know we brought too much stuff with us. So we have taken out 5 redundant upholstery cushions + the rear wall cupboards that are both twee and useless for storage, plus the absurdly large dining table [can seat 6 at a squeeze - just what you need in a 2 berth van ...]. We're probably around 1025kg in the slimmed down format, so a little more margin and less pressure on physical storage space.

Steve                      

14 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Fully laden car and caravan is 5030 Kg, great fun if you like watching fuel gauges move

VW Tiguan & Gobur Folding Caravan returned 43.99mpg from Southampton to Fife [measured brim-to-brim] so still had almost 15 litres fuel left after a 480 miles tow in a little over 11 hours.

Mind you, we have been looking for a full size touring caravan over the last 10 days or so! Long stays in a Folding Caravan owe more to Endurance Tests than civilised holiday relaxation ...

Steve

We take no carpets or superfluous cushions on our annual trip to France.  Nor do we take food.  I’m always amazed that some folk take food to France.  😆

• Like 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

46 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

We take no carpets or superfluous cushions on our annual trip to France.  Nor do we take food.  I’m always amazed that some folk take food to France.  😆

We do take some food for our long stay in France but only to cover the slow journey ( 6/7 days ) down to our main site. Clothes do go into the van but all the big stuff, awning, chairs, loungers, aquarolls, windbreaks, wife etc go into the car. Sometimes we can get our two folding bikes in as well.  We try and leave the van clear so that when we stop for food or overnight we don’t have to shift too much. Works for us😀

• Like 1

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Carpets?

Have you seen the price of porridge in France for a tiddly 500g pack? :rolleyes: Not only that, it is almost impossible to get the Super Jumbo Oats ... We go through just over 1kg per week, so there is always a stash of boxes on the outward journey for our 3 months stays!

Our neighbours beside our hovel are brilliant and for this trip they will be dropping off their surplus produce so we'll have courgettes and leeks coming out of our ears! Courgette soup for breakfast is an acquired taste but does help to make the porridge supply last longer ...

Steve

In order to keep the caravan legal we up plated, removed the spare wheel and carrier, carpets.

The caravan is loaded with all habitation equipment but no food or clothes, all that goes in the car 

We have had a very light porch awning which used to travel in the caravan.

The main point of towing is having the car far heavier than the caravan.

6 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

Have you seen the price of porridge in France for a tiddly 500g pack? :rolleyes:

Go native and hit the fresh croissants in the morning - porridge is food for winter (or British summers) :rolleyes::blush:

:D 

• Like 2

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Carpets?

Our Coachman ‘van has removable carpets, so we remove them in the summer as they are not needed.  We too have a long journey through France, but  freshly baked croissants, baguettes etc are easily obtainable along the way.  We have never felt moved to resort to eating porridge which is, after all, a winter breakfast.  😊

John.

18 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

Our Coachman ‘van has removable carpets, so we remove them in the summer as they are not needed.  We too have a long journey through France, but  freshly baked croissants, baguettes etc are easily obtainable along the way.  We have never felt moved to resort to eating porridge which is, after all, a winter breakfast.  😊

John.

That must be a British thing John, I don’t think I’ve ever seen carpets in a touring caravan 

I don’t think I could fit carpets in mine due to the underfloor heating

4 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

That must be a British thing John, I don’t think I’ve ever seen carpets in a touring caravan 

Wouldn't be a British van without carpets!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Wouldn't be a British van without carpets!

My mother’s got them in her 39’ static, are they not a nightmare to keep clean in a Tourer?

19 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

It's not carpet it's moss ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .