Sign in to follow this  
marchie1053

Advice Needed - Coachman 462/2 Towing by VW Tiguan

Good evening,

I was at the local Caravan Accessories shop preparing to buy a couple of electrical sockets for our Folding Caravan when I spotted a 2014 Coachman VIP 462. So I approached the Salesperson ...

The Coachman is a beauty and has been well looked after and when we sank into the upholstery, we were just about sold on it. HOWEVER, the Coachman website, the advertising literature, the Dealer's Window Display in the van all refer to MIRO 1330kg and MPLM 1455kg, whereas the plate on the side of the van states MIRO 1330 and MTPLM 1500kg!

The towcar, VW Tiguan 150 SCR Diesel [2016 Mark 1] is shown on the V5C as 1597kg Mass in Service so the towcar match ratio is almost 94%! I've towed small/medium trailers for 40 years off and on and have driven large Panel Vans [owned a VW LT35 LWB High Roof for about 4 years, and have owned the Gobur Folding Caravan for 7 months during which time we have camped for 90 nights in Scotland, France [twice] and Spain. I have however only towed a standard caravan for about 1 mile, and that was over 45 years ago when I was delegated to fetch  my father's caravan from my brother's house!

My concerns are:

1. Is the Coachman too much for Tig to tow, practically and legally

2. Am I being stupid/too ambitious in making the switch from a 1050kg MTPLM Folding Caravan to a 50% heavier Touring Van, especially with practically no equivalent towing experience?

3. Are Coachmans a quality brand? It looks very nicely fitted and is virtually unmarked,despite having had a decent amount of use

There is a 2017 Lunar Quaser 462ew for sale at the same dealer [didn't have the chance to inspect it because they were waiting to close for the night!] but I think the brand is a couple of notches below the Coachman. The Lunar is listed as having everything that we would nee, and the MIRO is showing at 1061kg, with the MTPLM at 1185kg. Would this be a better towing option, albeit not as 'posh' or robust as the Coachman? Has anyone/does anyone own this model, and if so, how does it perform? We hope to travel to France by the end of April for 3 months and then return in October for up to 6 months in France and Spain [International Driving Permits obtained + Green Cards but might need a revised version if we change the caravan ...].

TIA for any replies and advice.

Steve

No doubt a Tig owner will come along and give some  advice but for now my opinion is:-

The figures quoted by the dealer could be mistaken or the Coachman could have been re-plated or it may have extras (e.g. as a dealer special) and have been re-plated from new.  Check CRiS registration documents as a cross-reference.

Regarding towing weights and ratios:

Your Tig has a manufacturers (and therefore legal) towing limit of 2000kg for a braked trailer.

The ratio of 94% is ,in my opinion, too high for  novice (others may disagree)  but you can reduce this closer to the 85% guideline if you don't use the whole payload.

Coachman is a highly regarded, quality caravan but good dealer back up is very important.

I hope this helps.

having had Coachman vans for the past 25 years, I have also had two VIP 460/2, I can vouch for their quality, there is no choice between a Coachman or a Lunar, Coachman wins hands down very time, but I am sure some Lunar aficionado will be along to dispute my claim. I know what I would go for without hesitation 

48 minutes ago, CJ1149 said:

No doubt a Tig owner will come along and give some  advice but for now my opinion is:-

The figures quoted by the dealer could be mistaken or the Coachman could have been re-plated or it may have extras (e.g. as a dealer special) and have been re-plated from new.  Check CRiS registration documents as a cross-reference.

Regarding towing weights and ratios:

Your Tig has a manufacturers (and therefore legal) towing limit of 2000kg for a braked trailer.

The ratio of 94% is ,in my opinion, too high for  novice (others may disagree)  but you can reduce this closer to the 85% guideline if you don't use the whole payload.

Coachman is a highly regarded, quality caravan but good dealer back up is very important.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, CJ - I think the Coachman may be a little too heavy for the combination of Tig's 85% ratio and my very limited towing experience to date. Probably better to be disappointed about missing a really nice van than take a chance with the purchase and then be forced to upgrade Tig [which is already an upgrade for towing from its predecessor!] and/or run the risk of car breakdown and/or accident.

Steve

21 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

having had Coachman vans for the past 25 years, I have also had two VIP 460/2, I can vouch for their quality, there is no choice between a Coachman or a Lunar, Coachman wins hands down very time, but I am sure some Lunar aficionado will be along to dispute my claim. I know what I would go for without hesitation 

Thanks, Les.

Been reading the Lunar caravans section since I posted my query; the quality problems reported probably tell their own story - and so many from 2017, the year of production of the van that is for sale! Back to the drawing board [or to  the fitting of the additional electrical sockets to the folding caravan ...].

Steve

Load the Tig up with all the heavy stuff and you'll be fine.

go for it.

Hi

Stick the heavy stuff in the car not the caravan.

85% is old hat and only a recommendation not law , The Tig is a good and stable tug which I would be happy to tow 1500kg with. I assume the coachman will have a stabiliser and ATC fitted which all help with safety, don't miss out on something you really like because of an old out of date idea.

You don't have to load to the max but you will probably end up doing so if your wife is anything like mine.

enjoy

Danny

Looks like the original owner got a weight upgrade to the chassis maximum on 1500kgs.

You may not notice much difference in towing until you come to overtake car transporters or in side winds.

Don't let a good opportunity slip through your fingers - just drive with care and be sensible (easier said than done for me!!).

Would the Dealer be willing for you to take it down the road for a test drive? Maybe offer some folding money for the experience??? Better to lose £50 than to regret - but I don't think you will regret it.

I have a Lunar; buy a Coachman.

If your car can tow 2000kgs the Coachman won't be a problem IMO, our Hymer (first/only caravan) is 1800kgs, 100% of original tow car's  capabilities and it was fine. You'll get used to towing the bigger 'trailer' pretty quickly.

From what is originally said the figures suggest that the Coachman has had a 'new sticker' type of weight upgrade to 1500kgs. This just improves the payload capacity. Manufacturers commonly fool the public with downrated low maximum weights figures for tow car matching but then with almost no payload capacity. EG Similar size German vans are often plated at say 1700kgs but with 300 kgs of payload.  

As I understand it will still weigh 1330kgs empty, or whatever it actually does weigh when it's empty, but it now has an extra 45kgs of payload capacity that is all.

If you put nothing into or onto the Coachman Caravan then you will be towing 1330 kgs, or whatever it actually weighs when empty,  anything more will be what you have loaded onto it.

If you pile on loads of gear and overload the Coachman or the Lunar they will weigh more than the plated figures.

The plated figures are just legal statements not your actual weights.

If you put your heavy items into the car this will increase the cars weight and the stability ration improves. In reverse you will create an un-stable outfit.

Outfit sound fine to me.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

1. Is the Coachman too much for Tig to tow, practically and legally

2. Am I being stupid/too ambitious in making the switch from a 1050kg MTPLM Folding Caravan to a 50% heavier Touring Van, especially with practically no equivalent towing experience?

3. Are Coachmans a quality brand? It looks very nicely fitted and is virtually unmarked,despite having had a decent amount of use

1.  It's within it's maximum towing limit so is legal, the oft-quoted "85% rule" is an advisory guideline given by the various clubs/organisations, there are lots of factors for safe and stable towing over and above kerbweight/MTPLM matching.  

2.  Having personally towed (carefully loaded) caravans at 90-odd percent matches for many years myself, you are neither stupid or too ambitious, load carefully, tow at sensible speeds, be aware of your surroundings (passing HGV's, cross winds etc) and you will be fine.

3.  Quality brands of everything in life have their faults.  Back in 1999 we bought a 1996 Coachman and by 2002 it was so damp it was almost scrap.  However, the newer ones are lovely caravans, but as with any caravan, a damp check is essential while a full service history also gives some peace of mind.

Edited by GaryB1969

I was on a caravan site last year, a CL, and there was a Tiguan towing a Buccaneer!!!  Don't know what model of Tiguan, but obviously he was going by the official towing limit of 2000kgs.

The Coachman will be a dawdle to tow, go for it.

My last van was a Coachman Pastiche 460/2 2014.

It was a lovely van and very well built, we only changed because we wanted the 565 model.

The only thing to watch out for is the windows, Coachman changed over from screwed window bars to an adhesive secured type. They got it wrong on some models at the construction stage.

The window bars tended to become detached from the van wall and dealers had to refit correctly. Once this was done there was no further problems.

I have a Mk2 Tiguan and tow at 90% with nose weight of 90kgs and experience a nice stable tow with no problems.

Your proposed rig would be perfect.

I have had two Tiguan and towed three different Coachman caravans with them   

My current Tiguan is a 150 bhp TDi  4 motion DSG SCR and I tow a Pastiche 470 which has a MTPLM of 1355kg. 

The same car upto this year was towing a Vision 575/4 with MTPLM of 1540kg. 

The Tiguan towed without any problems. 

Stability is very good and power is good. 

Both the manual 5 speed and the 7 speed DSG have low first gear. Makes for easy hill starts along with the automatic handbrake. 

Make sure your Tiguan tow bar when fitted had the setting changes made to the onboard electronics. This disables the fog lights, start/stop, rear parking sensors and activates the stability program for towing on the car. 

My V5 shows the weight of my Tiguan as 1655kg.  Max towing limit of 2.2t. 

Plus the 20kg for the tow bar. 

Steve,

I have a 2018 model Tig 150 SENav with a DSG gear box towing a Bailey Olympus2 534 with a MTPLM of 1500kg.

It has the factory fitted tow bar and has a Mass in Service of 1615kg because it is not 4 motion and the V5 shows a max towing limit of 2000kg.

I would also echo the above comments regarding stability and power having done a round trip of about 4000 miles round Europe last year.

Posted (edited)
On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:26, Gd485 said:

I have had two Tiguan and towed three different Coachman caravans with them   

My current Tiguan is a 150 bhp TDi  4 motion DSG SCR and I tow a Pastiche 470 which has a MTPLM of 1355kg. 

The same car upto this year was towing a Vision 575/4 with MTPLM of 1540kg. 

The Tiguan towed without any problems. 

Stability is very good and power is good. 

Both the manual 5 speed and the 7 speed DSG have low first gear. Makes for easy hill starts along with the automatic handbrake. 

Make sure your Tiguan tow bar when fitted had the setting changes made to the onboard electronics. This disables the fog lights, start/stop, rear parking sensors and activates the stability program for towing on the car. 

My V5 shows the weight of my Tiguan as 1655kg.  Max towing limit of 2.2t. 

Plus the 20kg for the tow bar. 

I have a 2019 190ps SEL Tiguan with factory fitted towbar and the stop start is still active!!

Its not that stable either in my limited experience towing with it, especially in 17mph winds I had on the outward jorney, it was better today on the return but there was no wind and very few lorries, I had the same nose weight of 85kg, but increased the rear tyre pressure to 44psi from 41psi which I thought should have been ok.

As it is I wouldn't advise a novice to tow at that high a ratio with a Tiguan.  I'm at just over 90% which wasn't an issue towing with a 1703kg Mazda CX-5.

My caravan is 1700mtplm, v5c says 1755kg and 2300kg tow limit....

Edited by xtrailman

Hi Xtrailman

Ive not had any problems with stability when towing at 93% with my Tiguan. 

I towed back from Ireland last year in a storm. The wind was so strong that the ferry we were supposed to catch had to be helped into port by tugs. 

I suggest the the Stability program isn’t active as the Start/stop isn’t being inhibited and the car doesn’t know you are towing. 

There are several parameters that need changing when programming the ECU 

Maybe one of these hasn’t been changed. 

Either 5N Tiguans I’ve owned has given any stability problems. 

Hi

Take your car onto a weighbridge, I was surprised that my freelander weighed 2080kg with a driver and tank of fuel, the mamual said it should weigh about 1800kg.

If the sums add up weight etc the Coachman every time.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Land said:

Hi

Take your car onto a weighbridge, I was surprised that my freelander weighed 2080kg with a driver and tank of fuel, the mamual said it should weigh about 1800kg.

If the sums add up weight etc the Coachman every time.

The weighbridge figure doesn't surprise me at all. More likely than not, the manual quotes a mass in service figure, not the kerbweight. Mass in service is the minimum a basic car would weigh without any factory fitted options.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gd485 said:

Hi Xtrailman

Ive not had any problems with stability when towing at 93% with my Tiguan. 

I towed back from Ireland last year in a storm. The wind was so strong that the ferry we were supposed to catch had to be helped into port by tugs. 

I suggest the the Stability program isn’t active as the Start/stop isn’t being inhibited and the car doesn’t know you are towing. 

There are several parameters that need changing when programming the ECU 

Maybe one of these hasn’t been changed. 

Either 5N Tiguans I’ve owned has given any stability problems. 

I believe the car is aware of a caravan being attached, but I will make enquiries with my local VW garage re the stability and S/S.

Edited by xtrailman

On the media unit display that showing the outline of the car and if any door is open will shown the drawbar attached when the caravan is plugged in and the correct settings have been changed. 

I don't recall seeing any drawbar while towing?  

But I do get the extra indicator lamp on the dash flashing, I'll attach the car tomorrow using my 13pin extension lead to recheck.

43 minutes ago, Gd485 said:

On the media unit display that showing the outline of the car and if any door is open will shown the drawbar attached when the caravan is plugged in and the correct settings have been changed. 

I think they vary - my Passat does it when you have the car in reverse or any parking sensors activated