Sign in to follow this  
Gm14

Bailey unicorn cartagena Michelin tyre problem

Hi all I have a 2016 cartagena which is as all bailey unicorn caravans at that time, fitted with michelin energy tyres. When I had the caravan serviced at my local bailey dealer in November 2018, they told me the tyres were starting to perish. I have just got the caravan out of storage last week and I couldn't believe how bad the tyres had perished, they still have 8mm tread depth. so I contacted michelin tyres and they sent me to one of their dealers, who agreed the tyres need replacing. The dealer put in a claim to michelin who called me today and said they could not help me as the caravan had been fitted with the wrong tyres from new. I have emailed bailey (as you can't speak to anyone) just waiting for response. 

Screenshot_20190403-190339_Gallery.jpg

You will get more help if you can give details of the tyres - size/load/speed rating - and the MTPLM of the caravan.

If Michelin allege that the wrong tyres were fitted ask them what type <should> have been fitted - kick the ball into their court!

Having said that I have seen Baileys (or rather their tyre suppliers) specify the wrong type/size etc so its nothing new.

I'll be interested to hear the outcome of this, if you ever get a reply from Bailey.  I have a 2015 Valencia, also fitted with Michelin tyres.  I had it serviced a couple of weeks back and the engineer reported that one of the tyres was perished - he also reported that one of the tyres was date coded 2014, the other 2015, the older one being the one showing signs of perishing.  I've always replaced my caravan tyres after 5 years, never nearly worn of course, but neither showing any visible signs of perishing that I could see. 

I'd be particularly interested to hear what exactly was the spec of the tyres fitted to your caravan?

Nothing new with Michelin tyres, I stopped fitting them to my car years ago because the side walls cracked long before they were past their sell by date or wore out

I have heard of this cracking before but have been using Michelins exclusively on the Renault MPV I use as a work vehicle for the past eight years and 117 k miles with no issues. Another Renault commercial we owned for thirteen years and which covered a very low annual mileage for most of its life had no problems either. Recently fitted a set of Cross Climates to our Korando which covers about12k miles a year so will be interested to see how they fare. 

Mine needed replacing at 3 years on my U2. Needless to say, they weren't replaced like for like!

Not impressed.

7 hours ago, perksm said:

Mine needed replacing at 3 years on my U2. Needless to say, they weren't replaced like for like!

Not impressed.

U2 tyres were often remoulds and were not generally bothered by the low temperatures usually found above 60,000 feet.

I would be inclined to ask Michelin what it was about the ‘wrong” tyres that caused the cracking that wouldn’t have happened if the “right” tyres hade been fitted? 

Caravan tyres very rarely, if ever, actually wear out as they dont cover the sort of mileage that private cars do. It’s nearly always cracking/perishing that kills them off as opposed to lack of tread.

Having said that I would be pretty cheesed off if I had to replace tyres that were manufactured in week 33 in 2015 

Andy

Full details of the tyres such as size and more importantly load rating would be interesting. IF it turns out Bailey did indeed fit incorrect tyres then I would be looking at them replacing them FOC. 

As said the response from Bailey might be interesting ? But what are we being told if a tyre is not used it will crack and does this apply to a motor vehicle if used lightly ?

Is it on the tyre that "not for trailers" as I could not find a disclaimer on the internet from Michilin ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

24 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

But what are we being told if a tyre is not used it will crack and does this apply to a motor vehicle if used lightly ?

Yes indeed that is EXACTLY what happens. Sis in laws car needed a complete set of new tyres (at five years old) Minimal thread wear but substantial cracks in the base of the tread. Car has done about 15k miles since new, and almost all of those on short trips around town.

Andy

I'm also suffering from thread wear!

Graham aka Pedant

Spellcheckers, pah!!! :rolleyes:

I was always told to CHECK and DOUBLE CHECK what I wrote :D