Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gm14

Bailey unicorn cartagena Michelin tyre problem

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi all I have a 2016 bailey cartagena which is as all bailey unicorn  caravans at that time fitted with michelin energy tyres. When I had the caravan serviced at my local bailey dealer in November 2018, they told me the tyres were starting to perish. I have just got the caravan out of storage last week and I couldn't believe how bad the tyres had perished, they still have 8mm tread depth. so I contacted michelin tyres and they sent me to one of their dealers, who agreed the tyres need replacing. The dealer put in a claim to michelin who called me today and said they could not help me as the caravan had been fitted with the wrong tyres from new. I have just emailed bailey (as you can't Talk to them ) waiting for response. 

Edited by Gm14
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a worry - do you know how to identify what the correct tyres are ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 03/04/2019 at 18:59, Gm14 said:

Hi all I have a 2016 bailey cartagena which is as all bailey unicorn  caravans at that time fitted with michelin energy tyres. When I had the caravan serviced at my local bailey dealer in November 2018, they told me the tyres were starting to perish. I have just got the caravan out of storage last week and I couldn't believe how bad the tyres had perished, they still have 8mm tread depth. so I contacted michelin tyres and they sent me to one of their dealers, who agreed the tyres need replacing. The dealer put in a claim to michelin who called me today and said they could not help me as the caravan had been fitted with the wrong tyres from new. I have just emailed bailey (as you can't Talk to them ) waiting for response. 

Sounds similar to the Cooper and Avon tyres fiasco.  You also need to get onto the dealer that sold you the caravan to chase this issue as it is still their responsibility under CRA 2015 as I guess it would be an inherent fault.  It would be interesting to see what Bailey say as they may have fitted these tyres on hundreds or maybe thousands of caravans and it would be a major recall!

Edited by Durbanite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had a few cars with Michelin tyres on from new and after about 4 years they show signs of perishing but replacement ones last a lot longer. Maybe the ones bought in bulk by car/caravan dealers are a different quality to keep the cost down. 4 years on a car that is used daily might equate to less on a stationary caravan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be interested to hear what Bailey say about your tyres, if you get a reply.  I have a 2015 Valencia, fitted from new with Michelin tyres and when I had it serviced a couple of weeks ago one of the tyres was showing signs of perishing - one tyre was dated 2014, the other 2015.  Decided I might as well replace both so that from now on they will at least be the same age.  I phoned a couple of tyre places and the response from both was that the size (185R14) is now pretty well obsolete and there is a limited availability in that size.

 

 Just had a look at Bailey's website and they still seem to be specifying that size on the 2019 model.  I've managed to order a couple of tyres for now, but I asked the manager of one of the tyre centres what would happen if you couldn't get that size of tyre any longer and he said it might mean new wheels.  I wouldn't be pleased if I was buying a 2019 caravan today and found out in 4 years (or less?) that the tyres were perishing, only then to discover I couldn't buy that size and would also need new wheels!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What do you think Bailey should say about the tyres - they don't actually make them, they just fit them.

 

However that said, the tyres on my Wife's car were Michelins and had to be replaced well before they were worn out because of cracking - they were less than four years old.

 

I'm guessing that Bailey arent the only caravan manufacturers who fit 185R14 tyres - perhaps we need a poll to find out who fits what?

Edited by matelodave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PeteG said:

 I phoned a couple of tyre places and the response from both was that the size (185R14) is now pretty well obsolete and there is a limited availability in that size.

I guess that might be the case for michelin

I had a quick look on etyres.co.uk, and for a load rating of 102, there are quite a few other makes available - doesn't look obsolete across the industry

If you need a load rating of 104, then there was only one from them - but I don't believe you'd need a rating that high

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, PeteG said:

 I phoned a couple of tyre places and the response from both was that the size (185R14) is now pretty well obsolete and there is a limited availability in that size.

 

 

This really worried me - we have a 2017 Unicorn 3 Pamplona TA running on Bridgestone B280 tyres, 185/65 R 14 86T.  I’ve just checked on mytyres.co.uk and, not only do they have these listed as in stock but there are 117 entries from all the major manufacturers for this size/rating.  Price for the B280s is about £55, obviously plus delivery, fitting and balancing.

 

I think someone is telling you “porkies”.

 

DrBob

 

Edited by DrBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, DrBob said:

 

This really worried me - we have a 2017 Unicorn 3 Pamplona TA running on Bridgestone B280 tyres, 185/65 R 14 86T.  I’ve just checked on mytyres.co.uk and, not only do they have these listed as in stock but there are 117 entries from all the major manufacturers for this size/rating.  Price for the B280s is about £55, obviously plus delivery, fitting and balancing.

 

I think someone is telling you “porkies”.

 

DrBob

 

I agree - just had a shufti on Camskill for185/c/14 102/100 tyres as fitted to my 2015 Bailey Cadiz and there are loads on there from most of the manufacturers (big and small) 

 

I didn't count them but there was a big enough selection that I didn't feel a need to start stockpiling, just in case.

 

BTW my van is fitted with 03/15 Michelins which is pretty good as the van was delivered in March 2015. No signs of cracking or perishing (I've just been and looked)

Edited by matelodave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Found this article of note on the ATS Europe website from 3rd August 2012.

http://atseuromaster.co.uk/motoring-information-hub/tyres-driving/michelin/michelin-strikes-up-caravan-tyres-deal-801421897/#

Edited by Legal Eagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Makes you wonder why Michelin now state that their tyres should not be used on a caravan as per the OP unless the dealer is telling porkies? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Makes you wonder why Michelin now state that their tyres should not be used on a caravan as per the OP unless the dealer is telling porkies? 

Unless Michelin are suggesting Bailey fitted the wrong Michelin tyre and should have fitted a different type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to get to the bottom of this. Can't see that Much would just say " not suitable" without offering an explanation as to exactly why they aren't suitable and given that they are in the business of selling tyres pointing you to tyres that are suitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m90b1695s96p130895/GT_Radial_Tyres_Van_GT_Radial_ST6000_Kargomax_GT_Radial_ST_6000_-_185_R14_C_104_100N_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB/RS_GB

 

   Has anyone had these fitted?  The original tyres on my Coachman are GT Radial and have been fine but will need replacing fairly soon and I thought these might be a suitable replacement.

    John.

 

Edited by Leedslad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly no update from the OP !! So we have no way of knowing if the Michelin tyres were an “unsuitable fit” from new.

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...