Sign in to follow this  
Alan Stanley

Alko friction pads why dealers get a bad name.

An example why dealers get a bad name by shooting themselves in the foot.

Just had my Unicorn Valencia serviced.  4 years old.  No issues so set price service  at a not inconsiderable sum of money.

Received a call from the dealers to say the friction pads in the Alko hitch needed replacement.  No problem with that.  I asked for a quote and was told £63 in addition to the service charge.  Now discounting the exorbitant cost of the pads themselves (approx £28 inc Vat., which they claim back )  I know that it takes just 5 mins to change them so essentially they wanted about £38 for five minutes labour in addition to the service charges.  

Needless to say I refused and did them myself in about 5 mins. 

Over the years we have spent well over £100k with them.  

What a wonderful way to reward customer loyalty.

Name & Shame

Mod edit: Please check our Terms and Conditions before you do.

17 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

An example why dealers get a bad name by shooting themselves in the foot.

Just had my Unicorn Valencia serviced.  4 years old.  No issues so set price service  at a not inconsiderable sum of money.

Received a call from the dealers to say the friction pads in the Alko hitch needed replacement.  No problem with that.  I asked for a quote and was told £63 in addition to the service charge.  Now discounting the exorbitant cost of the pads themselves (approx £28 inc Vat., which they claim back )  I know that it takes just 5 mins to change them so essentially they wanted about £38 for five minutes labour in addition to the service charges.  

Needless to say I refused and did them myself in about 5 mins. 

Over the years we have spent well over £100k with them.  

What a wonderful way to reward customer loyalty.

It is easy D.I.Y jobs, the independent engineer I use only advise changing it if it is broken or really worn out otherwise he just put a couple of washer on.

52 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

.  4 years old.  Received a call from the dealers to say the friction pads in the Alko hitch needed replacement. 

You must rack up a L of a lot of miles to need new pads in 4 years.. :beardy:     I've had my old van for 8 years and I haven't needed to change pads yet.

4 hours ago, Jaydug said:

You must rack up a L of a lot of miles to need new pads in 4 years.. :beardy:     I've had my old van for 8 years and I haven't needed to change pads yet.

About 16 k on this van.  

Most repairers will have a minimum period of labour time they charge for. 

Did the pads actually NEED changing?

Andy

The Al-Ko pads should last at least 30,000 miles as long as they are not damaged or contaminated.

The OP.s pads had only done about half the expected life and it is very dubious if they needed changing at all.

The fact that the dealer can claim the VAT back on the parts is irrelevant as they will still add it to your bill and pass it on to HMRC.  This, second VAT will probably be more than the original amount due to the value added by their mark-up from trade to retail prices 

Posted (edited)
On 03/04/2019 at 13:22, Jaydug said:

You must rack up a L of a lot of miles to need new pads in 4 years..

Perhaps he goes round a lot of corners ;)

On 03/04/2019 at 18:03, Mr Plodd said:

Most repairers will have a minimum period of labour time they charge for.

But as he was having a service, that time will already have been passed, or charged for.

Edited by Bolingbroke

50 minutes ago, Bolingbroke said:

But as he was having a service, that time will already have been passed, or charged for.

No, as per standard practice, a service has a set charge and there will be a clause which says something like

“Any additional work required over and above the normal service, will be charged extra for” 

Ansy

Reading between the lines I wonder if they got grease on the pads while moving it and now want to change the pads just in case :beardy:

I was wondering what the dealer said when they were challenged about the labour cost.

macafee2