Hull to Zeebrugge

I've just come back from a business trip down to Niedervisse in France. I didn't take the caravan, it's been years since I've driven in Europe, what a revelation it was.

The ferry was amazingly civilised way to get to Europe, Hull being one hour away from my home. Boarded the ferry at 16:30 for the overnight sail to Zeebrugge, the Ferry (Pride of Brugge) was superb, entertainment laid on, lovely meal in the Brasserie, off to my cabin for a good nights sleep. Despite it blowing a force 7 outside the ferry was very stable, quiet and comfortable. 

Next morning have breakfast whilst cruising into Zeebrugge finally off-boarding at 08:45, refreshed and ready for the 400 miles ahead.

The Belgium and French roads, wow, departing Zeebrugge within 2 miles we could have engaged cruise control and left it on for the whole journey except for a slight delay around Brussels.

Used iPhone with google maps for navigation, couldn't fault it, not a single wrong turn.

This was the job!

DSC00730.thumb.JPG.f4921c10f4017828f097429ebfc57838.JPG

The return journey was pretty much the same, I have no hesitation in recommending P&O ferries from Hull, absolutely superb.

AJG

Edited by Guest

I have been using it for years and providing one chooses a weekend crossing when the caravans go free Zeebrugge or Rotterdam are preferable for us to Dover and we can hit the road running the following morning after as you say a civilized night on board, also the crossings can be mixed and matched so we go out Rotterdam and back from Zeebrugge.

• Like 1

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Me too...love that run.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

And me!  Will be boarding at Hull on Easter Saturday and then making our way down to South West France for a while. Very civilised way to start ( and finish ) a trip. 

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

We’ll be going Rotterdam- Hull in 2 weeks time, been using that route for over 30 years, the old boats Norland, Norsea, Norsun and Norstar were great but the new ones are fab. I’ve booked a Club Class Cabin, very nice.

Only 1 hour to my sisters house from Hull

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Our favourite route too, the holiday starts once you park up on the ferry.

If you consider the fuel cost to the south coast and back, plus two nights pitch fees, either just this side or on the French side. Add this to a return ferry from Dover, there is not much to choose from cost wise from Yorkshire to the Continent. Plus the hastle of driving in the UK compared with Belgium and France makes Hull Zebrugges a no brainer for us.

• Like 2

Trevor.

Used it both ways last year,brilliant, arrived at Zeebrugge terminal at 2.00pm, we were boarded by 3.30 and taking drinks on the open deck bar by 4. !

Returning via Zeebrugge in September this year.

• Like 1

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

We’ve used it loads of times both solo and towing.   Last few times have been solo to visit army son in Germany.   Disembark in Rotterdam then 3 hours to his house.   Even better, we can board after work on an evening from home (Hull) reducing the need for an extra days leave.    This June we’re off with the van to France via  Zebrugge. Booked all though CMC at a reduced rate, free caravan and upgraded cabin.   Definitely recommended 

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Our favourite too.

Each year we think £200 Do Cal Vs  £600 Hu Zoe, is it worth it?

Then we remember the leisurely 2hr drive, packing the van and setting off at a sane hour, the overnight accommodation included, great start to the holiday, the kids excitement, nice meal, fun entertainment. It's an easier decision than you might imagine.

• Like 3

Our favourite too. Years since we drove down to that there South.

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:23, David in Cheshire said:

I have been using it for years and providing one chooses a weekend crossing when the caravans go free Zeebrugge or Rotterdam are preferable for us to Dover and we can hit the road running the following morning after as you say a civilized night on board, also the crossings can be mixed and matched so we go out Rotterdam and back from Zeebrugge.

Exactly what David said! Our No 1 choice too.

Follow the link to read of our travels with & without the caravan :- Blog

We've been using Hull - Zeebrugge for years.  Living 7 miles east of Leeds Hull is an easy run along the M62 for us.  It's a very pleasant way to start our holiday, but the real bonus for us is the journey home, so quick and easy compared to Dover - Leeds.  I remember many years ago we would return to Dover and then had to face M20, M25 and the M1 - Shocking!

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

13 hours ago, Leedslad said:

We've been using Hull - Zeebrugge for years.  Living 7 miles east of Leeds Hull is an easy run along the M62 for us.  It's a very pleasant way to start our holiday, but the real bonus for us is the journey home, so quick and easy compared to Dover - Leeds.  I remember many years ago we would return to Dover and then had to face M20, M25 and the M1 - Shocking!

John.

Yes the return drive from Dover to Merseyside was the clincher for us too.

We used Hull ferries  last year and are booked again for this year.  For many years we used the Newcastle - Amsterdam DFDS route as the terminal is only 10 miles from home but the prices on that route have gone through the roof. The Hull ferry loads and unloads much quicker than the DFDS one and we like the P&O ships and food choices better.  Went out to Rotterdam last year and back via Zeebrugge and much preferred the Rotterdam ship both for ease of driving on & off and the ship's facilities. This year we're going out & back via Zeebrugge just because we're likely to be going to somewhere in France.  For Italy or Germany we would always use the Rotterdam option.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

• 7 months later...

Have already posted on another discussion regarding differing costs/routes/timings etc. so won't repeat the majority of that post. Just to say that we had such a pleasant experience on Hulll/Zeebrugge/Hull earlier this year (May & June) that we have decided to repeat it for 2020. Booked for outward journey 9th May '20 returning 28th June '20.  We live in the West of Scotland but spend 3 nights in Durham either side of our ferry crossings. Our daughter & family lives 1 mile from Durham Grange CMC site which is 90 minutes towing to/from Hull Ferry Port. Anyone else travelling same dates? Regards to all.

Not travelling the same dates but I have used this crossing on a regular basis when working in France. The ferries, the ports, the road network from Zeebrugge all absolutely superb. A very civilised way in my opinion to get across to Europe, leaving Hull late afternoon, nice cruise have a meal, entertainment laid on. Good nights sleep, full english  whilst sailing into the port and then on your way at 08:30 ish. Brilliant

Thank you to all those here replied to my request for information using UK Ferry ports. How dumb of me not to think of Hull to Zeebrugge. My home is 80 miles South of Hull a great idea and the cost difference Compared with towing to Dover is significant Cheers.

Can I just remind people that on Saturday & Sunday sailings caravans go free. I usually book direct with P & O to ensure this. HTH

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

10 hours ago, Casique said:

Thank you to all those here replied to my request for information using UK Ferry ports. How dumb of me not to think of Hull to Zeebrugge. My home is 80 miles South of Hull a great idea and the cost difference Compared with towing to Dover is significant Cheers.

I'm sure you will be impressed, it's a very civilised way to get to Europe, part of the holiday for sure.