Sign in to follow this  
chris76

garmin bc 30 wiring help please

hi im trying to work out how the camera on the back of van is likely to have been wired in.

it was fitted by the dealer by the previous owner when the van was bought new last year.

i went and bought the avtex sat nav in order to utilise it but it wont pick up the camera, i have manged to pair the camera to the second camera wichch will be fitted to the back of the car for the towball.

the first picture shows the 2 wires which were tucked under the plastic trim, the iv followed the thick black one which is the main camera cable down the van and it comes up through the wardrop and has been spliced into the cables shown in the second picture.

what i cant find is the little transmitter box anywhere,unless its tucked away under the plastic trim shown in the first pic - if it is then its no wonder the garmin isnt picking the camera up as my outfit is probably a good 12m to the back of the van

iv spoke witht the previous owners and they said it was working fine for them

any ideas please? cheers

1459025541_cameraconnection2.thumb.JPG.5989dce7e92ed80aae5dc4c3fde02f6b.JPG

camera connection 1.JPG

I guess that you may not be able to pair a second camera to a single head unit. Try unpairing the camera on the car (turning it off) and then trying to pair the the one on the van.

Can't answer your question but if it were me I would remove the Scotchlok connections and solder in proper joints and seal with heat shrink 

8 minutes ago, JayTea said:

Can't answer your question but if it were me I would remove the Scotchlok connections and solder in proper joints and seal with heat shrink 

Scotchlocks are the work of the devil!

John.

2 hours ago, Leedslad said:

John.

Dealer fitted too

4 hours ago, matelodave said:

I guess that you may not be able to pair a second camera to a single head unit. Try unpairing the camera on the car (turning it off) and then trying to pair the the one on the van.

You can have 4 fitted, I’m on the pair additional camera bit

thanjs for the replies though👍

9 hours ago, Leedslad said:

John.

Genuine Scotchlocks are in fact quite good, the copies however leave a lot to be desired. Soldering isn't the way to go either with crimp connections providing the most reliable cable termination / joints.

12 hours ago, Leedslad said:

I've used them in the distant past when fitting towbars or adding accessories and aways found them to be reliable if carefully applied.

Soldering is fine, providing a good mechanical connection has been made first, and the solder is simply used to improve the conductivity. Cables should never be "stuck together" with solder alone providing the mechanical support.

Genuine Scotchlock connections are fine with the correct diameter of cable but unfortunately they can cut through cable cores of the incorrect size, and of course they are not weather proof so should only be used in a protected environment. Cheap copies of Scotchlocks  are best avoided.

Did a bit more examining yesterday it seems the wireless transmitter was tucked up behind the number plate along with the light🙄no wonder I couldn’t pick it up at the front of my pick up

Anyway iv ordered an extension to take the transmitter to the front of the van 

On 30/03/2019 at 14:11, Gordon said:

Soldering is fine, providing a good mechanical connection has been made first, and the solder is simply used to improve the conductivity. Cables should never be "stuck together" with solder alone providing the mechanical support.

Genuine Scotchlock connections are fine with the correct diameter of cable but unfortunately they can cut through cable cores of the incorrect size, and of course they are not weather proof so should only be used in a protected environment. Cheap copies of Scotchlocks  are best avoided.

Soldering is not the best way, the soldered joint creates a hard point on the flexible cables which eventually fractures, thats why it's not used by the likes of Airbus etc. Crimp lugs are the way to go, quick, convenient and reliable. Use a decent quality ratchet crimp tool and all will be well.

• Thanks 1