Sign in to follow this  
walterk59

Rotterdam to Croatia - Best route and overnight stop suggestions

Hi

We intend to travel from Rotterdam to Croatia (Istria) beginning of September, as the topic says I am looking for advice as the best route (motorways) and suggested stop overs, comfortable with 250 to 300 miles per day. 

Thanks in anticipation

Walter

Via Michelin will help with the route - they say via Stuttgart and Munich - about 900 miles to Istria. Do you want overnight sites with special facilities such as pools and restaurants or will you just pick from your ACSI guide ? 

Yes had a look at both Via Michelin and Google map, both offer 3 routes basically A3, A7 and A61 via Munich. Was wondering which is the least congested  to use.

Was just going to use ACSI book as basically only overnight stops.

Sorry, but I'm afraid none of us know where massive German roadworks will be happening when you go in September. I think you can only  check nearer the time. Take care. I hope your holiday goes well. 

When we visited, as it was then, Yugoslavia, we did two overnight stops (we visited in the Lake Bled region), and travelled from Dunkirk at the time.  Anyway, we stopped at Rhudeseim, then Salzburg.  But back then, we weren't pulling a caravan, but a luggage trailer as we had a frame tent and all other essentials, and there were four of us (all adults).  One of our best holidays

Posted (edited)

We have travelled to Croatia from Rotterdam for the last 3 years. Our route is not direct as we usually visit friends near Passau.

First night stop is near Koblenz, either Camping Wolfsmuhle (ACSI 806) or Campingplatz Burg Lahneck. Wolfsmuhle is the cheaper of the two, but is next to a river in an enclosed valley. Access is not the easiest through the town and an ungated crossing over a railway line. Burg Lahneck is not part of any reduced scheme, although you can book through the C&CC, but its plus point is its situation high over the River Rhine with lovely views along the valley. We leave Lafnstein by heading east for the Autobahn towards Frankfurt. Our second night would be near Regensburg, but this is away from any direct route to Munchen or Salzburg. 

Last year in May we found the road works on the A3(?) past Frankfurt airport and onward to Wurzburg and Regensburg to be nearly complete and we had little disruption to our journey in either direction.

You may not want to stay at this site, but if you have time ACSI 928 to the south of Wurzburg is delightful. Very friendly owners, easy pitching and a very reasonable on-site restaurant run by the family. Rattenburg and Wurzburg are both very different and well worth a visit. 

To head for Croatia we would head for Salzburg with the intention of staying at Lake Bled with almost certainly the need for an intermediate stop.  South of Villach you will come to the Karawanken tunnel for entry into Slovenia. There is always a tailback of HGV so on the approach slopes keep in the outside line. Like Austria you will need a Vignette for Slovenia and I have seen the Slovenian Police with binoculars looking for vehicles without the Vignette. 

It is an easy drive from Lake Bled past Ljublijana towards Croatia and Istria.

Hope this helps.

John.

Edited by John19

Waltrkerk59

We will also be heading for Croatia and Istria late August for the 6th time.

I have described our routes from Rotterdam and Zeebrugee  <here>

Last year the worst roadworks were on the A3 near Wurzburg but even with the massive road improvement program its still preferable to the UK motorway system

We've done this/similar route a couple of times & have found various places to stay en route, but have only done 1 overnight then stayed 2 or 3 to explore places. Depending how we feel/how the roads are our first stop is either Camping Prumtal at Oberweiss ( 232 mls) & nip into Luxembourg to fill up with cheap fuel OR Camping Oranienstein at Diez (248mls)  OR Seecamping Mainflingen at Mainhausen S of Frankfurt (310 mls). 

Next stop depends on first stop, but on the Romantic Road to Camping Frankenhohe at Schillingsfurst, OR south of Munich at Kaisercamping, Bad Feilnbach. 3rd stop would be in Austria, either Drau Camping at Sachsenhausen or Camping Kalkgruber on the Ossiachersee. then through the Karawanken tunnel into Slovenia & to Istria. 

We've stayed at all these & all have nice facs and take ACSI apart from Mainflingen & Drau Camping, whose prices are comparable. My blog has our routes & sites in 2 trips: the Slovenia trip is at http://v2.travelark.org/travel-blog/blackpoolbelle/14 . The Croatia trip is at http://v2.travelark.org/travel-blog/blackpoolbelle/24.

Have fun  whatever you do. 

Be aware that the 16 German States have staggered holidays, so although where I live (North Rhine Westphalia) the summer holidays finish in August they continue well into September in Bavaria and Baden Wurttemberg (which you'll need to drive through) and this could affect campsite availability and traffic volumes.

https://www.schulferien.org/Schulferien_nach_Jahren/2019/schulferien_2019.html

Try and go through Luxembourg, fuel is 25% cheaper than anywhere else in the EU, then like Blackpool Belle said pop over the border into Germany and stay your 1st night at Prumtal in Oberweiss, its a great site.