Sign in to follow this  
John Hill

Travel from Slovenia to Dubrovnik across to Bari.

Planning to travel down the coast road from Slovenia to Dubrovnik.  Has anyone done this trip.  We have 7m caravan..

is the coast road suitable?

Any advice appreciated.

Posted (edited)

Good Morning John,

I haven't done that road with a caravan but I have in an Army Truck. 25 years ago during the Bosnia War we were given a 4 day holiday by the UN at a small holiday resort on that coastal road in a town called Brela. We flew out of Sarajevo into Split and drove along that road to Brela, on the way back to Bosnia we drove in trucks down towards Dubrovnik before turning in land to Mostar. Very picturesque, lovely part of the world, if you've ever driven along the Costa Brava coast in Spain it's similar to that. A bit bendy in places but we were ok with trucks and trailers so you should be ok with a caravan.

Mostar is an interesting place to visit and much safer now than when I went :D

Edited by Borussia 1900

Please be aware that if you are travelling to Dubrovnik and stay on the mainland you will have to pass through a stretch of road in Bosnia Herzegovina. It is referred to as the Neum corridor. I was planning on doing this route 2 years ago until I looked at my car insurance policy which did not cover me for vehicle use in B/H. I never took it any further, but my insurer did say they would check with an underwriter if an extension to my policy would be possible. It is possible to avoid the Neum corridor by taking a ferry to a nearby island (Peljesac) and return to the mainland via a bridge further south. I would guess there are some people who just take the risk either knowingly or otherwise and just drive the few miles through B/H.

Croatia is a lovely country to visit with warm and friendly people. We have visited for the last 3 years in May and June.

John.