Sign in to follow this  
SlimSlow

Review Moffatt Camping and Caravan Big Site.

Posted (edited)

Write Up for Moffat CCC Site 8 to 13 June 2018

After 3 nights at Glossop 2 of which were at a campsite which involved towing over Holm Moss, the delays on our new caravan were overcome and we arrived at Moffat just after a heavy downpour.

The site was easy to access approx 5 mins off the A74(M) and all was as expected at a CCC big site. The Co-op was a short walk away and the town itself was only a few minutes walk. Our Sky TV did not work (card burnt out) but DTV was fine.

Moffat has 3 chippies, all average, the best one being at the far end of town.

I walked up the “Grey Mares Tail” and around Lock Skeen at the top which is about 10 miles outside of Moffat.

As usual we toured the local area and visited the gold mining village of Wanlockhead which is also Scotland’s highest village.  

Our car tours included Tomintoul in the Cairngorms and Peebles. We enjoyed the scenery, as always, Scotland is beautiful especially if the sun is shining.

We were lucky to meet up with Frank and Moira who were very kind to give  some local info and ended up buying our other awning from us (the colour was not right for my wife).

Access to the site was fairly good but the staff would not let any units in until the given hour of 1300. So each day a queue of caravans and motor homes appeared until the stroke of 1 PM when they were let in. I think Moffat is so busy because it is very convenient for anyone as a stopover en-route heading north as well as a very nice place to visit.

If you are able to visit Moffat don’t forget to visit the house with a Spitfire in its garden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvquiMC7M9w , also there is a nice park with a memoriam to Lord Dowding who was in charge of fighter command during WWII

https://www.dgwgo.com/out-and-about-in-dg/air-chief-marshal-lord-dowding/

Highly recommended we will be happy to visit again i.d.c

Note:- The first link has a smashing home made video of the Grey Mares Tail (not done by me) which is immediately followed by a professionally made travelogue of Skye to Fort William by air, well worth a look.

Give yourself some time to enjoy it all.

Edited by SlimSlow
addittional text

Moffat is a very good site being so close to the M74

We’ve used it often as an overnight stop when travelling south.

Its also convenient for visiting Gretna outlet and Dumfries.