Sign in to follow this  
Richh110

Asbestos in oven Elddis 1989

Hi, I've just recently bought a 1989 elddis cyclone xl. Although I've been informed by Elddis that no asbestos was used in the build of the caravan, I dont think the oven is original. It contains a fluffy insulation that I'm concerned is asbestos. I just wondered if anyone has any info on this or can tell me the brand of oven? Thanks in advance.

20190327_221231.jpg

20190327_220925.jpg

It’s not a brilliant picture but that doesn’t look like asbestos - if in doubt have a sample taken by an approved analyst, they’ll put your mind at rest.

Posted (edited)

I doubt it is asbestos, because it wasn't used after 1985, but even if it is, leave it alone and it will do you no harm.

Looking a bit more closely at the poor photo, if you are referring to the yellow fluffy material on the right of the shot, it's almost certainly glass wool, like you have (probably) in your loft. That poses no health risk except when you handle it (glass fibres sticking in your skin) or breathing it when moving it about (wear a mask).

Don't worry about it.

Edited by daveat92
  • Like 1

If you leave it alone, asbestos is harmless. Just don't remove it nor cut it yourself. We had asbestos (unknown to us) for 40 years in our house  and then building an extension exposed it.

Doesn't look like asbestos to me either, could be rockwool.

7 hours ago, daveat92 said:

I doubt it is asbestos, because it wasn't used after 1985

Asbestos was finally banned from being used/ installed in 2000 - all buildings constructed before that time have to have a Asbestos Management survey.

The risks around asbestos were known by 1989, most unlikely to have been used in a cooker at that time, particularly in accessible areas.

It certainly doesn’t look like asbestos to me. Some sort of fibreglass/rockwool material probably.

Most ovens have maker plate/numbers in the door opening areas.

That may help identify the maker?

Asbestos should be presumed if no certain knowledge / guarantee it is not... http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/managing/oldequipment.htm

BUT ask Elddis again for the make and model of Grill/Oven fitted new in the caravan. Then see if you can find more.  To me it looks original 1980s kit, similar to this one: http://nationalcaravanbreakers.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-boat-conversion-rose-6060-oven-cooker-ref-sun.

Personally I doubt it's asbestos fibres but leave it well alone and it should do you nor anyone else any harm.

I've ordered a self test kit as some of the insulation has come out into the grill area and I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

Thanks for the advice everyone!

21 hours ago, WispMan said:

If you leave it alone, asbestos is harmless. Just don't remove it nor cut it yourself. We had asbestos (unknown to us) for 40 years in our house  and then building an extension exposed it.

Well, sort of, asbestos is harmful, to different degrees depending on the type.  However, if you don't disturb it then there is no risk of harm. That's the important thing, don't disturb it.