Jump to content

Lunar clubman


Gary lunar
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello just joined and picking up a Lunar Clubman SI next week, I need to insure it so I’m looking for an insurance company recommendations and also extra security people can recommend.

 

Mank thanks 

Gary 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I found Lifesure competitive - cheaper than Caravan Club who I'd used for 34 years.

 

I have no idea about either, but you can always buy cheaper insurance. But only at the cost of reduced cover.....

 

Be sure to read the small print to ensure you have the cover you want, and don't assume anything is covered unless it specifically says it is.

 

Your insurer will tell you what security gadgets are required. Unless they are fitted, you will struggle with any claim

Edited by daveat92
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for your replies

It has a phantom tracker and alarm fitted.

I think I will go for CRiS tagging kit

I’ve got a AL-KO hitch lock and wheel lock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, daveat92 said:

 

I have no idea about either, but you can always buy cheaper insurance. But only at the cost of reduced cover.....

 

Be sure to read the small print to ensure you have the cover you want, and don't assume anything is covered unless it specifically says it is.

 

Your insurer will tell you what security gadgets are required. Unless they are fitted, you will struggle with any claim

 

My comparison was like-for-like

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any insurer is only as good as when you have to claim, our van was written off 6 years ago and the Caravan Club Insurance settled in three weeks, no quibbles, they arranged for their assessor to visit the van within a few days after it was repatriated from France, no hassle whatsoever, also you get discounts for Hitch lock and wheel clamps, so speak as you find at present I would not change, the are specialists in caravan insurance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have used a variety of providers but just renewed and stayed with Cover4Caravans.

I would start with a Google search and go from there but I did find that ringing them achieved a lower premium. I also found that many providers asked what was the lowest quote you had so I always 'rounded down'!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding insurance, do as others suggest and troll the various providers but read the small print. I have also found the Caravan Club a good benchmark in terms of cover and price.

We did not bother to renew the Phantom Tracker service as we don't think we would want the van again after some low life had used it!

If you are keeping it at home ensure it is alarmed, add a security post, a caravan cover and leave the mains charger attached to the van and that should be enough to deter most would be thieves.

And don't leave your most treasured possessions in it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My advice is to try and find a Defquto five star rated company that meets your need. 

 

I'm currently in the process of renewing my insurance, so have been getting a few quotes on a New for Old basis for our 2012 Clubman and so far the Caravan and Camping Club are looking best value. 

 

Good luck with your search and I hope you enjoy using your caravan as much as we have ours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems that it is a fairly new caravan so why not insure it on a "new for old" basis?  You can do this with caravans up to 10 years old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27 March 2019 at 23:00, Gary lunar said:

Thank you for your replies

It has a phantom tracker and alarm fitted.

I think I will go for CRiS tagging kit

I’ve got a AL-KO hitch lock and wheel lock

 

Phantom tracker will get an insurance discount, and is fine if the first year subscription is included with a new van.

We insured our Lunar Clubman SB with Lifesure with discount for the tracker.

However, on renewal of tracker, Phantom wanted £125. Lifesure covered van without tracker for only £16 more than with it.

Now we have no active Tracker.

Not a problem for me - as many have said on here in the past, if your van gets stolen, do you really want it back again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

 

Phantom tracker will get an insurance discount, and is fine if the first year subscription is included with a new van.

We insured our Lunar Clubman SB with Lifesure with discount for the tracker.

However, on renewal of tracker, Phantom wanted £125. Lifesure covered van without tracker for only £16 more than with it.

Now we have no active Tracker.

Not a problem for me - as many have said on here in the past, if your van gets stolen, do you really want it back again?

The Phantom tracker will help stop it being stolen.  My thoughts are that we have paid in excess of £20k for our caravan so £125 is peanuts in comparison!  We took out the 5 year option so saved money there anyway.  We do not want our caravan stolen and would hope to get it back within hours or days and would be very happy to get it back rather than have no caravan and waiting for a replacement.  Different matter if it was gone for weeks but with a Phantom Tracker that should not be an issue!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

The Phantom tracker will help stop it being stolen.  My thoughts are that we have paid in excess of £20k for our caravan so £125 is peanuts in comparison!  We took out the 5 year option so saved money there anyway.  We do not want our caravan stolen and would hope to get it back within hours or days and would be very happy to get it back rather than have no caravan and waiting for a replacement.  Different matter if it was gone for weeks but with a Phantom Tracker that should not be an issue!

I’m with you on this. The insurance discount is nowhere close to the phantom subscription, but the cost of subscription Vs cost of van is, as you say, peanuts. 

What I like about the phantom system is the fact that, the instant the alarm activates, or the van moves, I get a text, and a few minutes later a phone call. 

I can track the vans location, and monitor the battery state, so I also know if it’s time to charge. 

For me it’s a “no brainier”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I’m with you on this. The insurance discount is nowhere close to the phantom subscription, but the cost of subscription Vs cost of van is, as you say, peanuts. 

What I like about the phantom system is the fact that, the instant the alarm activates, or the van moves, I get a text, and a few minutes later a phone call. 

I can track the vans location, and monitor the battery state, so I also know if it’s time to charge. 

For me it’s a “no brainier”

 

It was a no-brainer for me to disconnect the Phanthom tracker as it was flattening the leisure battery in less than a fortnight - in poor signal areas, the tracker tries continuously to make contact, using up both the internal and leisure battery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There have been remarks along the lines of "I wouldn't want it back after......." I don't want my van stolen obviously but having spent time pitched next to a traveler family in Spain and seen the way the womenfolk spent their days cleaning, there is a good chance it would come back cleaner than it went:).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

 

It was a no-brainer for me to disconnect the Phanthom tracker as it was flattening the leisure battery in less than a fortnight - in poor signal areas, the tracker tries continuously to make contact, using up both the internal and leisure battery.

Not an issue if you have a solar panel fitted.  Cost of fitted solar panel about £250 so about £50 a year over 5 years.  Cost of 5 year Phantom subs is about £60 per annum.  A no brainer in my opinion taking into consideration the value of the caravan plus atatched sentiment plus peace fo mind, but every oen has their own choice. 

 

Sometimes I get the impression that some people hope that their caravan will be stolen so that they can claim for a new caravan thus pushing up everyone else's premium including theirs.  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...