Sign in to follow this  
allegoricus

Selling a caravan

What's the best way to sell a caravan? To a dealer, through a dealer acting as agent, advertise it (if so, where?).
Would you include all the accessories, the awning, & so on?
Any advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Peter

I sold mine privately using the CMC  classifieds with lots of detailed pics and info. Personally I would offer the accessories separately unless they are specific to your caravan.  I wouldn't sell through a dealer unless as a PEx and then only if I couldn't sell it privately.

Now is a good time to advertise.

• Like 1

Sold mine a month ago and used eBay with great success incl awning and other stuff. Tried FB Sell and Seek, which was a complete waste of time.

Ebay does generate a lot of interest but some will only be tyre kickers looking for a bargain. Took me about 3 days to sell it. Anymore and I would have been into a new year of storage and insurance so I wanted a quick sale.

• Like 1

Wispman, what precations do you take to ensure that your not ripped off, money wise. How do you make sure that your not taken for a ride ( no pun intended) . when I come to sell mine I just want to ensure that the buyer doesn't use some trick, or fraud and i'm left out of pocket.

Cash is king! 

Not PayPal under any circumstances.  You could do bank transfer with both of you going to your bank, but that could be inconvenient. 

I sat there and counted his £6,500 in 20's. All 325 of them.

If you want to worry,  then go on YouTube and look at the Royal Mint's videos on checking bank notes. 

To day someone tried to pass off a forged twenty at a sub Post Office - it had been photocopied on normal paper!

20 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Cash is king! 

Indeed........several large buying dealers now offer Bankers Order and a Cash handover.....

You could find that a potential private buyer would be happy to buy the accessories too.

geoff 

Just sold our van yesterday to an agency, a sort of "we buy any car ... but for caravans"; a very straight forward transaction and risk-free. 

After finding the business on the web my first contact was by phone which lead to a provisional valuation, I was given an assurance that funds would be transferred electronically at the point/time of purchase, which was exactly what I wanted; no cash and a guaranteed secure transaction. 

The van was in storage 260 miles from home so I arranged to meet the agent to view the van and do the transaction during the meeting.  

The agent turned up on time, was both friendly and professional, unfortunately (for me), there were some damp readings on both rear corners. The front 80% was fine but it was obvious there was a problem localised to the rear corners.

Following a conversation with the agent and his office, they made a revised offer which, although reduced, was acceptable. They made the payment immediately and asked me to check that the funds had arrived in my bank. I have mobile banking on my phone and was able to check and confirm that the funds were in my account. The entire transaction took less than 5 minutes.   We then hitched the van up to the agents Discovery and off he went. 

The transaction was 100% satisfactory and entirely risk-free, the speed of transaction was obviously aided by the fact that I am happy to do my banking using the phone app. But even if a couple of phone calls had been needed it would still have been a quick and efficient transaction. 

Now before I am overwhelmed by comments about the price I got for the van then obviously I know I could have got more if I'd perhaps sold it privately, however, with the caravan sitting 260 miles away from me and with limited time I am very happy with the transaction that I did. Depending on the situation you find yourself in then I would say that the speed and financial risk-free nature of this type of transaction may well make it suitable for some people. 

More than happy to share details of who I dealt with if it doesn't break any forum rules. 

3 hours ago, Nilrem said:

I sold mine privately using the CMC  classifieds ..

CMC classifieds? Not familiar with this. Can you please elaborate?

20 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

More than happy to share details of who I dealt with if it doesn't break any forum rules.  

If it does, I'll be pleased to have the info via direct msg.

3 minutes ago, allegoricus said:

CMC classifieds? Not familiar with this. Can you please elaborate?

Caravan & Motor home Club website if you are a member.

17 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Caravan & Motor home Club website if you are a member.

Duh! I am a member. Thanks! :-)

Sorry, bit slow replying, but thanks to all who replied.