Sign in to follow this  
bobthevanman

Charmouth

We decided at short notice last week to follow the weather and come to Dorset, (a favourite of ours). Wood farm where we normally stay did not open for another week so we decided on Charmouth camping and caravan club site, what a superb site, the facilities are 5 star and everything is very relaxed. This is only our second year of membership and with our ancient persons discount we have paid our membership for this year with the difference in price between the two sites. We cannot praise this highly enough.

• Thanks 1

Stayed there a couple of years ago.  Nice site,  within easy driving distance of Charmouth. Bridport, Axminster  and Lyme Regis. 

Hi Les, I will take some and post

1 hour ago, Les666 said:

...   got any good pics?

There's some on their website - https://www.monktonwyld.co.uk/

John

9 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

There's some on their website - https://www.monktonwyld.co.uk/

John

Isn't that a different site.

We would rather stay on Wood Farm as you can walk down to Charmouth front, admittedly the walk isn't for everyone as it's a bit steep coming back.

• Like 1

Stayed at the camping club site in charmouth two years ago. Nice site but it's in the middle of nowhere. Next time we will try Wood farm.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, frazerg said:

We would rather stay on Wood Farm as you can walk down to Charmouth front, admittedly the walk isn't for everyone as it's a bit steep coming back.

Yup totally agree we have stayed at both sites.

We much prefer the Wood Farm site which is only 20 minutes walk from Charmouth, it is a beautiful site very clean with excellent facilities.

It has a cafe, indoor swimming pool, 2 fishing lakes and excellent dog walks.

The staff are so friendly and helpful in fact we liked the site so much we bought a static caravan there last October.

It opens this coming Thursday. https://www.woodfarm.co.uk/

Edited by springtime
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, frazerg said:

No.

59 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Stayed at the camping club site in charmouth two years ago. Nice site but it's in the middle of nowhere.

On the assumption that you mean the C&CC site at Monkton Wyld, I don't think that approx 3 miles to Charmouth, Axminster and Lyme Regis constitutes any definition of "middle of nowhere".

John

I stayed at Wood Farm for three weeks last year and was underwhelmed.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

On the assumption that you mean the C&CC site at Monkton Wyld, I don't think that approx 3 miles to Charmouth, Axminster and Lyme Regis constitutes any definition of "middle of nowhere". 

Sorry, I don't agree. It is difficult to walk from the site to anywhere of interest. Even the nearest pub is an uninteresting walk along the main A road.

Isn't the CCC Site at Charmouth where that prat  Clarkson and his Numbskull sidekicks set fire to a caravan ?

Why so rude about them?

Posted (edited)

Hi Les Medes

Your comments regarding the “ three numpties” are valid. 

As for the C&CC site at Charmouth, we stay there at least twice a year and it is one of the best run sites in the south west. 

Last year saw a major upgrade of the facilities with new toilet block that would put most sites to shame.

At peak times the site is very busy and can be a little expensive. Although the site never feels packed as the layout includes hedge separated areas. 

The location is good for south east Devon and West Dorset.

Foodies can enjoy many good places to eat including Hugh Fearnley Whittinstall’s River Cottage HQ and canteen. 

There is another site closeby that is a little cheaper and nearer to the coast and that is the Shrubbery campsite. 

Edited by Gd485
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

No.

John

Maybe thats just the edge of nowhere then............;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gd485 said:

Your comments regarding the “ three numpties” are valid. 

Great show, great presenters I seriously don't know why people get so uptight about them - it's just a very funny show.

The Grand Tour on Prime is just like the original Top Gear and is just as amusing.

16 hours ago, DeeTee said:

I stayed at Wood Farm for three weeks last year and was underwhelmed.

yes.. it 's not great is it,..... weird circular zones that make caravans face each other and a noisy busy road.

I was not going to comment on Wood farm as we enjoyed it, however 10 amp is a pain, and if the C&CC site was full we would go back there, but this is now our first choice, each to their own.

21 hours ago, Fenester said:

yes.. it 's not great is it,..... weird circular zones that make caravans face each other and a noisy busy road.

Not entirely true there is one small area that has a circular zone at the top of the site. Most of the site is tiered so that you only have one row of caravans and then the next  row is on the tier below so your view is over the top of the next row of vans.

Yes the A35 does run past the top of the site so it is possible to hear the traffic if you are near the entrance. Most of the site drops away and as it does so the traffic noise dramatically decreases.

By the way, the C&CC site at Monkton Wyld is also right next to the A35 so traffic noise will also be an issue.

21 hours ago, bobthevanman said:

I was not going to comment on Wood farm as we enjoyed it, however 10 amp is a pain, and if the C&CC site was full we would go back there, but this is now our first choice, each to their own.

We were there in July 2017 during the heat wave, we had a fantastic time and were on one of the fully serviced pitches.  We managed not to trip the electric but we've got a display that shows how much power you're using and it has the facility to set a limit.  All quite necessary with the myriad of hair curling/straightening/drying apparatus that my wife seems to need.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

…  we've got a display that shows how much power you're using and it has the facility to set a limit …

Gary, could you post a link to this gadget please?

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Posted (edited)
On 28/03/2019 at 15:49, Johnaldo said:

Gary, could you post a link to this gadget please?

John

Standard fit on Swift caravans after 2015 I think. Part of the Sargent control panel. 

We stayed at Monkton during storm Angus, death knell for our awful Kampa bouncy castle. Found the people very nice, kept checking on us as the power kept dropping out. 

Edited by Tuningdrew

On 27/03/2019 at 11:58, Les Medes said:

Isn't the CCC Site at Charmouth where that prat  Clarkson and his Numbskull sidekicks set fire to a caravan ?

That's not rude, that's a compliment, it takes skill to become a Prat and a Numbskull

On 27/03/2019 at 17:39, Fenester said:

I was pitched in the weird circular zone with the front end of my neighbour's vehicle, when parked, barely left sufficient room to walk to the driver's side of the caravan. This was not the fault of my neighbour as he was pitched by the site staff.

We are able to tolerate nearby road noise but find difficulty in tolerating poor/non existent customer service.

The Wood Farm Caravan and Camping Park site, despite its location, is one of a very small number of sites to which I would not return nor recommend to others.

On 30/03/2019 at 08:22, DeeTee said:

I was pitched in the weird circular zone with the front end of my neighbour's vehicle, when parked, barely left sufficient room to walk to the driver's side of the caravan. This was not the fault of my neighbour as he was pitched by the site staff.

We are able to tolerate nearby road noise but find difficulty in tolerating poor/non existent customer service.

The Wood Farm Caravan and Camping Park site, despite its location, is one of a very small number of sites to which I would not return nor recommend to others.

I simply cannot understand your comment I know many people who have been there and all without exception think that it is an excellent site for its location, facilities and cleanliness.

The staff there cannot do enough to make you welcome and are always friendly helpful and approachable.

If you had issues with where you were pitched then why didn't you ask to be moved?

If you look at the reviews for the site you will see that most of them rate it highly.

Your experience has to be the rare exception and does represent the norm.

I am baffled but each to their own I suppose.