Karen12

Buying a static on holiday park

Hi

Looking to buy a static, my question is how much wriggle room is there on price? I was thinking of trying to get about 10% off, no finance involved 

Do they price knowing they might have to reduce or do they price at the lowest anyway, I don't want to insult anyone! 

Insult away, the worst they can do is laugh at you and say "no", just like car dealers ;) Oh and :welcome:

Thanks! 

On another forum one person's parents have been told that their static caravan is too old at 15 years although it is immaculate and that they must remove it.  No one wants to buy it however the owner is quite happy to sell them a new static as they can only buy through the owner.  Beware!

A previous static owner on this site recommends three things before signing up for a static.

Read the contract carefully and fully.

Then

Re-read the contract and then....

Read the contract.

Thanks, been assured there is no time limit, however I am sure there will be rules about condition so I will check the contract carefully, we won't be buying another, want to get about 10/15 years out of this but we will look after it well, we won't be renting out very much so fingers crossed it lasts well

be aware that "no time limit" on a holiday park simply means that you do not have a fixed term.

You may have a rolling contract, renewable each year, which means that there is a risk that the Park operator may decide not to renew it.

Alternatively, it may say the van can stay as long as it is maintained in good condition. The decision about whether it is in good condition or not is usually the sole discretion of the Park; you may keep it immaculate, but simply because it looks dated compared to newer models could be a reason for the Park to decide it is time it went.

Sometimes it is better to have a fixed term, then at least you know where you are.

Posted (edited)

There have been many horror stories about mobile home site owners ripping tenants off by forcing them to buy a new home after only a short time. And the tenants can only buy it from the site owner, who sets his own prices!

Be VERY careful, consult a solicitor. 

Edited by daveat92

The warning bells have already been rung in respect to static ownership.

However, if you are that keen to go ahead you had better mentally prepare to lose lots of money over a relatively short period of time.

You are completely at the mercy, or not, of the park owners and they can, and do, change terms and conditions with varying degrees of frequency.

When you come to dispose of it, either because the park says you must, or you decide it is not for you with all the extra costs involved, get ready to be offered only scrap value, as that is what you will get.

Posted (edited)

Speak to other owners on the site before you buy and get a truthful insight to costs and the sites terms .

Example we have friends their daughter bought a static new at £80 k for holidays and weekends then 18 months later hubby got made redundant so they could not afford the caravan and they could only sell back to the site and they offered £15k . Thank God for the bank of mum and dad that had to help them out .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Commander Dave beat me to it - I posted in a hurry and meant to add, Talk to as many other owners as you can. You may well discover that the site you are interested in has had happy owners with the same vans for years with no issues at all.  After all, there are lots of static owners out there who are very happy with their purchase.

But do try and make sure that your contract covers everything - including when and how pitch fee increases are calculated, when and how you can sell the van on, etc., etc.  Never, ever rely on a verbal assurance for anything other than trivia. Get it in writing.

Bear in mind that for holiday sites the pitch fee is generally plus VAT, and if you sell the sited van to anyone other than the park, there is generally a commission of about 15% plus VAT that you will have to pay to the Park operator.

The general rule is that buying a holiday static is for the enjoyment you get - the money you pay is non-recoverable. If the non-recoverable bit is a worry, then static ownership is not for you. If you consider it worth while because you will enjoy the static so much, then you should be OK.

Good luck.

You’ve had the warnings! And I usually tend to post in that vain as well but like 2seaside said there are lots of happy ‘van Owners out there. It is a case of don’t let your heart rule your head after all you are spending a lot of money on a “home from home” As to your question about discount on purchase the answer is “ if you don’t ask you don’t get” but ask nicely and see. I suspect on many sites the answer would be “no but we can through a few goodies”. 

Best of luck with it, and I hope you can enjoy static ‘vanning as much as we do.

Take out legal cover on your insurance policy. It is worth the extra cost for piece of mind that if you need to dispute anything you have that back up. You will generally find that the Park preferred Insurance company don't specify legal cover...... I wonder why.

• Like 1

Han anyone had any experience with Haven on this issue?

also take into account that owners can change and come in with their own rules. 

55 minutes ago, Danield433 said:

A great website with information on this subject is Parklink.. I found an article on sited static caravans which is a good place to start.

Is this an advert?

I'd be very cautious about giving any of my details, let alone money, to a company which has a website with no address that I can see, and just a mobile telephone and email for contact details.

They may, of course, be a perfectly genuine one-man-band(although the website suggests they are a bit vague on the difference between residential park homes and holiday homes) - but it will be just as easy to go direct to the manufacturers and parks that have an established presence.  And the

On 25/03/2019 at 12:13, Karen12 said:

Thanks, been assured there is no time limit, however I am sure there will be rules about condition so I will check the contract carefully, we won't be buying another, want to get about 10/15 years out of this but we will look after it well, we won't be renting out very much so fingers crossed it lasts well

Friends of ours had their static on a site that was taken over.

The 15 year rule was then implemented but existing occupants were given a grace period to comply.

Seems like it's a minefield and that you really need to be able to afford to lose your money before taking a punt...