Sign in to follow this  
ivan leslie

Green Card for the Caravan - Latest Government advice

Taken from the Governments site this morning. Looks like a separate Green Card is necessary.

"Vehicle insurance for UK registered vehicles, caravans and trailers in the EU

A motor insurance Green Card is evidence of motor insurance cover when driving abroad.

The EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland are part of a Green Card-free circulation area. Currently, you do not need a motor insurance Green Card to drive a UK registered vehicle in these countries.

From 12 April 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal and the European Commission does not make a decision ensuring that UK registered vehicles will not be checked for proof of insurance, drivers of UK registered vehicles will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA.

Some EU and EEA countries may also require a separate Green Card as proof of insurance for caravans and trailers. If you are travelling with a caravan or trailer, you will need two Green Cards: one for the towing vehicle, and one for the caravan or trailer.

Contact your vehicle insurance provider to obtain motor insurance Green Cards for your vehicle, caravan or trailer."

How can a Green Card be issued for UK caravans - they have no registration number or database to check on - when hitched up they're part of the owing vehicle.

27 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

How can a Green Card be issued for UK caravans - they have no registration number or database to check on - when hitched up they're part of the owing vehicle.

A Green Card for a caravan could show the same registration number as that of the car. Why shouldn’t it?

6 minutes ago, Lutz said:

A Green Card for a caravan could show the same registration number as that of the car. Why shouldn’t it?

A trailer isn't a separate entity under UK law, it's part of the towing vehicle - the temporary use in foreign countries should be covered by the Geneva Convention.

More relevantly, trailers aren't required to be insured in the UK - and are covered on the tow car's insurance when hitched up - so there may be no insurer to grant a Green Card.

38 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

How would I know? 😳😳. Hope my insurance knows when I contact them this morning !!

4 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

A trailer isn't a separate entity under UK law, it's part of the towing vehicle - the temporary use in foreign countries should be covered by the Geneva Convention.

More relevantly, trailers aren't required to be insured in the UK - and are covered on the tow car's insurance when hitched up - so there may be no insurer to grant a Green Card.

Agree with this - some countries do require trailers and caravans to have separate registration and insurance for domestic purposes (I think the Dutch do) but this does not relate to a vehicle registered outside of their domain.

My caravan is insured but there is no legal requirement for it and I’d imagine some people with low value vans don’t bother - they’d have no green card to show as they’d have nowhere to get it from!

33 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

But on the Continent trailers must be covered by third party insurance, either in their own right or by the insurance on the towing vehicle and that applies to UK outfits, too.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

My Green Card from LV arrived yesterday with the caravan make and model and the car's registration printed on it. I don't want to be discussing the Geneva Convention or registration databases with an irritable French 'flic' should it come down to it.

Hi Haweye

How did you address your request to LV? I'm sure many of us have the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle insured by different companies.

Thanks.

Adrian.

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The motor vehicle's third party covers the caravan or trailer when travelling so the motor insurance needs to supply the green card for both units.

Just ordered a Green Card from Ageas, they knew nothing of a Green Card for the caravan.

I think your a bit early in discussing this when we have no idea if Brixit is alive or dead.

Posted (edited)

Fortunately we're insured with LV too - and this is their proactive advice about a green card for caravans.  Apply by email 'Simples'!!

If there's a 'no deal' Brexit, you may need a Green Card to tow your caravan or trailer abroad from March 29, 2019. If this happens, please contact your car insurer who will provide separate Green Cards for your car and for your caravan or trailer.

If your car insurance is with LV and you’re planning on driving in Europe before 29 March 2019 and won’t be returning before that date, you can get a green card as a precaution.

Please follow the instructions under Motor Insurance above to order your Green Card. Please allow up to two weeks for your Green Card to arrive.

Edited by ValA

I have been on the phone for around 2 hours this morning with both my Caravan and Car insurers - the outcome is as follows :-

a) the caravan insurer was not aware of the updated info from the government regarding separate green cards. However,their underwriter confirmed it would have to be the car insurer who raised the green card. 

b) the car insurer was also not aware of the update. Their underwriter eventually confirmed that TWO SEPARATE GREEN CARDS ARE REQUIRED and it is the car insurer who is responsible for issuing both. My insurer is now setting up a template for them to print out the separate caravan card and they hope to do this today.

Hope that will help anyone going into Europe in the next few weeks - and I now await those who will tell me it is NOT necessary 😜😜😜

14 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I think your a bit early in discussing this when we have no idea if Brixit is alive or dead.

I am leaving for France in 3 and a bit weeks and don't think I can wait to see what happens!!  But thank you for your comment.

Thanks Ivan...pleased my pennyworth and the Sunday Times,for both,stirred someone up somewhere!

geoff

LV make it easy:  

As Brexit negotiations are still on-going, there is currently no official requirement to apply for a Green Card. If you are planning on driving in Europe before 29 March 2019 and won't be returning until after that date, you can get a Green Card as a precaution. 

You’ll need two green cards if you're towing, one for your car and one for your caravan or trailer.  

Please email us at greencard@lv.com giving the following:

Policy number and vehicle registration

And if you're towing a caravan or trailer:

Make of the caravan or trailer

If the caravan or trailer is registered separately, its registration number

Please allow up to two weeks for your Green Card to arrive. 

Green Cards are valid until your next policy renewal date, so you can travel as much as you like on the same Green Card. 

In the event of a ‘no deal’, you’ll also need to obtain an International Driving Permit which is available from the Post Office.

That's fine for LV customers Val - unfortunately I am not😡  As I said, neither of my insurance companies were aware of the separate card requirement so, just maybe, I might have helped others who contact them about this in the future. 

16 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Thanks Ivan...pleased my pennyworth and the Sunday Times,for both,stirred someone up somewhere!

geoff

Someone has to do it Geoff 😀😀😀😀

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

But on the Continent trailers must be covered by third party insurance, either in their own right or by the insurance on the towing vehicle and that applies to UK outfits, too.

Yes, they're covered by the car insurance.

Posted (edited)

link

the link takes you to instructions on how to email them - about halfway down

The green card is there to show your caravan is covered for causing third party damage while it is being towed as others have posted while I was being distracted. This is the responsibility of your towing vehicle insurers, not the caravan insurers.

Edited by hawkaye

3 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

link

the link takes you to instructions on how to email them - about halfway down

The green card is there to show your caravan is covered for causing third party damage while it is being towed as others have posted while I was being distracted. This is the responsibility of your towing vehicle insurers, not the caravan insurers.

LV are obviously covering the situation well, as Val has already reported. I thought I had covered the responsibility for issuing green cards in my post a few minutes ago! 

2 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

LV are obviously covering the situation well, as Val has already reported. I thought I had covered the responsibility for issuing green cards in my post a few minutes ago! 

You had; as I said, I was distracted. You posted while my reply was awaiting submission.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

Yes, they're covered by the car insurance.

But without a Green Card for the caravan how is anybody abroad going to know?

20 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

You had; as I said, I was distracted. You posted while my reply was awaiting submission.

Sorry 😱😱

I seem to recall the green ca4ds were annotated towing xxxxx caravan back in the day!

13 minutes ago, Lutz said:

But without a Green Card for the caravan how is anybody abroad going to know?

Perhaps someone might ask for it at the border or anywhere else for that matter !  Are you suggesting we should not bother? ( as in noted earlier, I knew someone would )

4 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

I seem to recall the green ca4ds were annotated towing xxxxx caravan back in the day!

Explain that to the border chappie in France when he asks you where your separate caravan green card is 😬😬