Sign in to follow this  
Beermonster

Awning tensions

We have recently bought our first awning and spent most of yesterday putting it up, and a few hours today retentioning everything and moving pegs around to try and tighten things up. 

We are on a seasonal pitch we want it to be right as it’s going to be up for quite a few months. 

The poles seem very solid and don’t look to be moving when the wind gets up, but the front and side are flapping a bit, do they need to be tight? Is there usually much movement in them?

Beermonster, yes they should be fairly tight - but not too tight that door zips won't open.

Are you on flat ground, as a slope will usually upset the lie af an awning?

If it's a full awning, have you got the correct size, as too long a ground-to-ground measurement will leave material flapping?

The poles may be solid, but are the corner ones in the correct position, as any error here will affect tension?

John

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Beermonster said:

, but the front and side are flapping a bit, do they need to be tight?

Make it too tight and you put too much strain on the zips - as has happened to one of mine.   A slight push on the failed section of closed zip rips it open.   A replacement zip is going to be needed.  

PS - I was assuming yours was a full awning with ends held in the awning rails.

Edited by Jaydug
  • Like 1

It’s not full size, I’ve attached a picture, there is a bit at the edge of the pitch where it goes to grass, one of our neighbors has cut away some grass, it looks like the pitches are bigger than they are, just some of the grass has over grown. 

22B42B73-6956-4663-AA35-5E254A66A1E7.jpeg

Actually, BM, I've seen many an awning pitched worse than that - which area in particular is bothering you?

John

1 minute ago, Johnaldo said:

Actually, BM, I've seen many an awning pitched worse than that - which area in particular is bothering you?

John

Just really wanting to know how much give in the sides there should be, as Jaydug said they shouldn’t be too tight, as we have never had one and will only be here at weekends, I don’t want it floating away during the week :)

8 minutes ago, Beermonster said:

… I don’t want it floating away during the week

That's going to be down to how well the awning and guy ropes are pegged into the ground, as opposed to the tension on the fabric (so long as it's not ridiculously flappy, which yours doesn't appear to be).

I see you've got storm guys, so they should really help, provided you've got the steel pegs in at the correct angle (about 90° to the strap, not in line with it like I saw someone doing the other week!)

John

• Thanks 1

As it is a poled awning you could do a couple of internal tie downs. We used ratchet straps from Aldi ( 4 for a tenner).  Put the strap over a pole near the front corner inside the awning. Use a bit of bungee cord to attach to a large peg, tension the ratchet.  Simples.  Helps to hold the frame down.   Isabella sell the whole set up but they want £20 + a strap.  :(

mel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The front looks lose and the side tight. Have you the front corner legs in the corners?

I'm interested in how the storm guy peg has been made in inserted into the ground, any chance of a close up photo?

macafee2

Looks similar to ours - a Quest Elite Kensington and it took us a couple of trips to get it really nice looking.

20170708_102225.thumb.jpg.84cc04aafc98745c9391817fe4dcae5c.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Beermonster said:

We are on a seasonal pitch we want it to be right as it’s going to be up for quite a few months. 

Please take a look at my post in this thread about what can happen to an unattended awning. I know people do get away with it but personally I would not leave an awning unattended for any length of time, and equally I would not leave it pitched for long periods where it may kill the grass.

Your awning looks fine to me regarding the tension though.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 24/03/2019 at 15:37, macafee2 said:

The front looks lose and the side tight. Have you the front corner legs in the corners?

I'm interested in how the storm guy peg has been made in inserted into the ground, any chance of a close up photo?

macafee2

I will take a picture when we go back this weekend, they are angled away from the awning, also each corner has an 12” spike holding them in

Edited by Beermonster

The pegging point at the bottom of the door by the brown box should be  angled towards the opening slightly rather than straight down. This will keep the side tight when you unzip the door. It’ll pull out that crease you have running across the window. As previously mentioned are the front legs properly in the corner seams with the ladders caught underneath to lock the canvas onto the frame?

• Thanks 1

I wasn't happy with the awning part pitched on the grass, so we have spent this weekend extending the size of our pitch :D

IMG_01.jpg.5ecea65d0db0d75ae085d60e468ea1e3.jpgIMG_02.jpg.90b69c7c274774f34b72b5c608167277.jpg

My one main concern with your awning is that it is a 'porch' awning, i.e. it is no a full awning and the side are not locked into an awning channel. My reasoning is purely that it is on a permanent pitch and will be erected at al times and unattended.

We have a porch awning as our early season use and have had a couple before that on previous caravans    (all being Isabella) and although I pride myself in pitching them as perfect as can be, when it is very windy you can get the wind getting between the side of the caravan and the awning padded vertical side.  This means readjusting etc, which you can do whilst you are resident but if you are not there you could be inviting problems - however for your sake I hope not.  In no way would I leave this type of awning unattended for any amount of time.

Alan

• Like 1

Isabella winter is also a porch awning. I'm on a site where most caravans spend all year and there are quite a few Isabella awnings including Isabella winter and most awnings appear to be up all year.

1 hour ago, AndersG said:

Isabella winter is also a porch awning. I'm on a site where most caravans spend all year and there are quite a few Isabella awnings including Isabella winter and most awnings appear to be up all year.

The Isabella Winter has a heavier duty 'canvas' and a steel frame I admit but to me the vulnerability is still where the wind hits constantly against the side of the awning and eventually will allow the padded edge to lift from the side over time. As I said, if you are there on site to correct and adjust then no problem, if not could be disaster. 

Perhaps the site you are on is sheltered and not exposed to the elements ?

Alan

It's on a lake and often windy. It's also often very cold over winter, having -4.5 this morning!

On 24/03/2019 at 14:15, Beermonster said:

It’s not full size, I’ve attached a picture, there is a bit at the edge of the pitch where it goes to grass, one of our neighbours has cut away some grass, it looks like the pitches are bigger than they are, just some of the grass has over grown. 

Put a twist (1/2 turn) in your storm straps, stops it resonating and vibrating in the wind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Beermonster said:

I wasn't happy with the awning part pitched on the grass, so we have spent this weekend extending the size of our pitch :D

If the outfit doesn't fit the pitch - make the pitch fit the outfit!

I like your thinking but that's not normally an option :blink:

Pitch size.jpg

I would be a bit wary of leaving such an awning up whilst unattended.

Like others have said it appears to be made from a relatively lightweight nylon type material rather than the hefty canvas type material used in “full sized” awnings.

I am sure if you check the instructions that came with  it they will advise that this particular awning is not suitable for continuous long term usage. I have a £1200 porch type awning that appears to be made of thicker material than yours and the instructions with that VERY clearly state it’s not suitable for long term seasonal use. (Sunncamp, so a well established company) 

However its your decision to make, but just be sure you gather as much information as possible before you make it.

Have you sought advice from the awning manufacturer re your intended use? If so I bet they have advised against it haven’t they??

Andy

When me and Mrs Cockney put up an awning there is always tension :-)

• Like 1

On 24/03/2019 at 14:15, Beermonster said:

It’s not full size, I’ve attached a picture, there is a bit at the edge of the pitch where it goes to grass, one of our neighbors has cut away some grass, it looks like the pitches are bigger than they are, just some of the grass has over grown. 

22B42B73-6956-4663-AA35-5E254A66A1E7.jpeg

Nothing to do with the awning. Would be interested to know where you got the fencing from?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TonyandKaren said:

Nothing to do with the awning. Would be interested to know where you got the fencing from?

‘I found it on eBay then rang the company for a better price, we have 3, each one has 6x (might be 8) 2ft square pieces

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pet-Dog-Pen-Puppy-Rabbit-Foldable-Playpen-Indoor-Outdoor-Enclosure-Run-Cage/191977597615?hash=item2cb2c1aaaf:m:mKpZvIwtRIV729y1i1E7dMQ

Edited by Beermonster

Posted (edited)

Ill take a punt and say the OP's awning is a Dorema Quattro :unsure:, Looks very similar to ours, even down to the  curtain pattern http://www.dorema.co.uk/de/porch awnings/quattro_225_275.htm and apparently suitable for seasonally sited and winter pitches. Certainly isn't a thin material and ours has withstood >40mph gusts in Shropshire. Ours has been up constantly on a seasonal pitch since March 2018 and has only recently been taken down as we're changing 'vans in 10 days time.

As for tensioning, we use one of these and really makes the sides taut https://www.towsure.com/leisurewize-frame-mate-awning-tensioner

To stop the awning moving in the awning rail/channel, use two of these https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/isabella-safe-lock-2/6270

Edited by Pebble