Mr Plodd

What3words - A brilliant way to find your exact location (crash, breakdown etc)

a great app, but i have the same issue as the few guys above, constant android popups informing me that what3words has crashed

Must be an Android issue, I have tried it at several times over the weekend and had no problem.

29 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Must be an Android issue, I have tried it at several times over the weekend and had no problem.

This is when I'm not even using it, I'll be doing something completely unrelated and I get a popup telling me the app has crashed, it must run in the background and then just kill itself for some reason, it's only been since Thursday or Friday though, been fine up until then.

Uninstall, restart the phone, reinstall...  Standard Android way of dealing with that sort of issue

I'm Molly and I work at what3words. Might be helpful for all of you to know - we’ve identified the bug causing the background crashes, and have pushed update v.4.1.3 to address this issue (this will be in addition to the update you may have already applied with v.4.1.2). You can visit the Play store to download this latest update :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Molly m

tell green flag about yourselves, I needed assistance recently and the lass on The end of the telephone didn’t have a clue what I was on about

• Like 1

I’m ambivalent about the concept of W3W. On the face of it, it’s easily understandable and very easy to use. It’s been marketed hard and has rapidly received market acceptance among the general public. 

On the the other hand, W3W is a commercial organisation, which is out there to make money. It does nothing that your device doesn’t already do via its GPS receiver, it just uses it in a different way. Lat/long are internationally recognised, and in the UK we’ve  used the Ordnance Survey grid references for decades. Software exists for these platforms, or is already embedded in your device for free, just like W3W. 

Where W3W differs is that they intend to charge bulk users to access the information. In other words, the emergency services will have to pay them if you request assistance using W3W.

Which is fine, it’s nothing new for taxpayer money being used to buy in software to make life easier. If only they they were being more open about their charges to the end user. 

Within Mountain Rescue, we’ve already adapted to getting casualty locations via W3W, using software to transfer their data to a grid ref, that all team members can understand from a map or ViewRanger in seconds. 

Of course, although W3W works via GPS anywhere as long as your phone has power, it’s information cannot be passed on unless you have signal reception, which simple fact not everyone has grasped.....

• Like 1

IMHO easier to give co-ordinates than faff around with W3W.  Most organisation use GPS for your locstat and probably will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

IMHO easier to give co-ordinates than faff around with W3W.  Most organisation use GPS for your locstat and probably will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. 

More and more of the emergency services are advocating W3W and actively encouraging it's use because it can work alongside their command and control systems. The Twitter feed of my local police service often reports the successes it's use has brought when callers in emergency situations have been guided by the call taker into using it in order to pin point their location. Not everyone understands co-ordinates or how to find them. In an emergency it will come down to what works best for the victim and the service.

• Like 2
  • +1 1

That is if the accent can be understood.  We have many dialects of the English language and the same word can be spoken differently.  I have difficulty understanding some of the accents and others misunderstand me even when using the phonetic alphabet.  For some it works and others probably not as not every one has a Smartphone or any sort of phone.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

That is if the accent can be understood.  We have many dialects of the English language and the same word can be spoken differently.  I have difficulty understanding some of the accents and others misunderstand me even when using the phonetic alphabet.  For some it works and others probably not as not every one has a Smartphone or any sort of phone.

'Eccent?.What Eccent? It's just Effrikaans, man' .... :D

Steve [searching for a roadside robot, but finding only traffic lights ...]

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

How can we get co-ordinates on a mobile phone ? This seems a much more simple system,yet as effective as co ordinates.I have already used it to locate wife so she understands how to use it, the very mention of co-ordinates and she glazzes over. Its the simplicity of it we like.   Teaching grand children how to use it now.

1 hour ago, Malc Edge said:

How can we get co-ordinates on a mobile phone ? This seems a much more simple system,yet as effective as co ordinates.I have already used it to locate wife so she understands how to use it, the very mention of co-ordinates and she glazzes over. Its the simplicity of it we like.   Teaching grand children how to use it now.

Google maps will show the latitude/longitude of your present position - and an app is available to show your present Ordnance Survey grid reference - however I do think the simplicity of What3words will make it ubiquitous for most people.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 1

On what planet is reading out 2 sets of numerical codes for latitude and longitude easier than just saying 3 words, it just isn't is it, not really, yeah, if you're experienced with using lat/long then possibly, but for the general population what3words is infinitely more basic.

The update has sorted mine out now, I think I do have another one waiting but I'm away and the WiFi is limited where I am, which incidentally is at https://w3w.co/dalmatians.defamatory.doted

• Like 1

On 14/09/2019 at 11:56, Durbanite said:

"faff around with W3W", I'm sorry but you've got that completely the wrong way around. The 'faff' is trying to remember 2 strings of 6-8 digit numbers for lat/long. 

An increasing number of emergency service responders are advocating the use of "W3W" because it is easier to use then coordinate systems. For most people trying to remember two strings of 6 to 8 digit numbers is a complete none starter. 

W3W is not a navigation system, it is a system to identify a location which is precisely what is required by emergency responders, they can sort out their own navigation to the location. 

That said many navigation systems are now integrating W3W input making it easier for everyone to use it. W3W is way more accurate than UK postcodes, I use it regularly with Google maps for in car navigation, it is seamless and simple.  

• Like 4

If you have data connection, you have access to maps, one tap allows you to share your location , or gives you your grid.

Can you imagine trying to spell the 3 words over a dodgy voice connection, using English words whilst abroad or dealing with someone who cant spell.

Over the weekend I organised a treasure hunt. At a specific point the hunters phoned me or the wife and were given the Three words for the next location. Mis hearing or mis spelling these words caused a few problems and we then resorted to text messages.

I might be wrong but but it seems to solve a problem we dont really have.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Towtug said:

If you have data connection, you have access to maps, one tap allows you to share your location or gives you your grid.

If it has not been said already, should you have installed the free app MAPS ME, and downloaded the map tiles for the area you are using, then you don't need to have that sometimes difficult Data connection, to read off your Lat/Long coordinates. All you need is a working smartphone, no mobile signal; we also carry a small power bank to cover the battery being depleted.

A great app for us outdoor activity types, we use it extensively when rambling and cycling

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTQ said:

If it has not been said already, should you have installed the free app MAPS ME, and downloaded the map tiles for the area you are using, then you don't need to have that sometimes difficult Data connection, to read off your Lat/Long coordinates. All you need is a working smartphone, no mobile signal; we also carry a small power bank to cover the battery being depleted.

A great app for us outdoor activity types, we use it extensively when rambling and cycling

Just downloaded MAPS.ME what a great free app thanks for the recommendation. 👍🏻

22 hours ago, Towtug said:

If you have data connection, you have access to maps, one tap allows you to share your location , or gives you your grid.

Can you imagine trying to spell the 3 words over a dodgy voice connection, using English words whilst abroad or dealing with someone who cant spell.

Over the weekend I organised a treasure hunt. At a specific point the hunters phoned me or the wife and were given the Three words for the next location. Mis hearing or mis spelling these words caused a few problems and we then resorted to text messages.

With miss heard words the option shown on the screen will show three options, if it could show somewhere in China America or any place in the world.You will have a rough idea where someone is that you are looking to find. If the three words have been misunderstood it will be obvious from the choices shown on the screen that they are wrong.You will then need to clarify the words again. 

On 18/09/2019 at 08:48, Towtug said:

I agree.  Up to now we have managed perfectly without W3W.  My accent is not British and if going through to a call centre in a  foreign country this creates another issue.  This also applies when you are speaking to some people at a local call centre as sometimes it can be very difficult to understand them if they are not British born.  Obviously W3W suits some and not others so it is up to the individual to chose.

11 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

This also applies when you are speaking to some people at a local call centre as sometimes it can be very difficult to understand them if they are not British born.  

This problem exists whatever location method is used. The big difference, is that a  single digit error in any other system can result in a huge amount of wasted time looking in a nearby wrong place (next street, wrong side of the hill etc.) but W3W either shows the error to be nonsense, or so far out (wrong country etc.) as to make the error immediately obvious.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I agree.  Up to now we have managed perfectly without W3W. 

We managed perfectly well without mobile phones, motor movers and self levelling devices for caravans, but that didn’t mean they were not adopted and have become standards now.

Change is inevitable, getting left behind is a personal choice.

Look where it says I am! 

https://w3w.co/beauty.unsecured.partly

This 3 word address refers to an exact 3m x 3m location. Tap the link or enter the 3 words into the free what3words app to find it.

I am in Spain!!!!! 

Fortyfoot 

I’m not a fan of W3W, but to be fair they do say that occasionally it will get it wrong, but it will be so far out that it couldn’t be mistaken.

Coincidence, though, that it does position you at reception on a caravan site, albeit Bala, Wales, not Spain!

John

• Thanks 1

W3W remembers your last "fix".

Were you in Bala the last time you used it?

Although the map or sat picture will show where you are, the 3 words will remain at your last position fix, which may be some time ago.

What is one of the adjacent squares called where you are now? 

• Thanks 1