Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

What3words - A brilliant way to find your exact location (crash, breakdown etc)

14 hours ago, Paul_B said:

I've got one that works over Wi-Fi for the very same reason ;)

We use Three in Touch when at home as no mobile signal.  Brilliant!

Three-in -Touch is being phased out.  But phone them up and they will send you a 'Home Signal' box, free.  This created a good mobile phone signal in your house and garden.  It plugs into your router.

If you have a Windows phone, tablet or PC you can still use W3W - just go to https://what3words.com

Can even work without GPS, in the same way that Google Maps can estimate your position from local wifi and cell towers.

Edited by kelper

On 27/03/2019 at 15:16, Durbanite said:

When he does get a signal he does know how to use the phone however without a signal he can view photos and videos and probably some other apps.  Neither guests or rangers are allowed to take cell phones into the field for obvious reasons.

It's not obvious to me.  Please could you elucidate.

On 22/03/2019 at 11:52, Grandpa Steve said:

No real difference to your postcode then.

unless your post code covers multiple properties as most do, what 3 words has mapped the planet into 1 metre squares each square has its own unique reference so the centre square at the road entrance to my drive is different to my front door square, so no more ambulance trying to read a property name in the dark instead directed straight to my drive entrance, caravan sites could learn a thing or two about locating their actual entrance using the same app. Just back from South Africa and this app proved invaluable in locating our destinations.

It's actually three-metre squares.

On 22/03/2019 at 08:52, Mr Plodd said:

The new What3words app is now being used by more and more emergency services. It enables them to locate your EXACT location.

Download it onto your phone or tablet and SHOULD you ever need to summon assistance you are no longer thinking

“Well about half a mile back I passed a road to I’m not sure where, and I’ve come up a hill and HURRY UP the other driver looks badly injured!!!!” 

Do it NOW, it’s free and could save a life!!!!

Andy

Just search  for What3words 

Thanks Mr. Plod

Now added to my CT Quick Find Index

• Thanks 1

Anything that helps in an emergency situation is good but given that most smartphones record latitude/longitude on images why not just take s picture and look at the EXIF data for codinates? 

• Confused 2

On 28/06/2019 at 11:10, rovinmad said:

It's not obvious to me.  Please could you elucidate.

Sorry about the very late reply.  Poachers use the mobile phones to signal others where to locate the game as they have the co-ordinates. 

17 hours ago, TenStar said:

Anything that helps in an emergency situation is good but given that most smartphones record latitude/longitude on images why not just take s picture and look at the EXIF data for codinates? 

As a new iPhone user I've just spent a frustrating 15 mins trying to follow instructions on YouTube and Google to get co-ordinates from photos. And failing. Not something I'd be getting involved with while trying to deal with a casualty. The now-defunct Windows phone would give you coordinates in a text message in a 4 or 5 clicks and Android would give an address in a couple of clicks. Let's hope the 999 call handler doesn't ask me for EXIF data if I ever have to make an emergency call.

And no I've never rung 999. Anyone else?

39 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

As a new iPhone user I've just spent a frustrating 15 mins trying to follow instructions on YouTube and Google to get co-ordinates from photos. And failing. Not something I'd be getting involved with while trying to deal with a casualty. The now-defunct Windows phone would give you coordinates in a text message in a 4 or 5 clicks and Android would give an address in a couple of clicks. Let's hope the 999 call handler doesn't ask me for EXIF data if I ever have to make an emergency call.

and that is why What3words is so great.

What3words gives you nothing that latitude and longitude cannot, nor, in the UK, what the Ordnace Survey National Grid system cannot.  The difference is that those systems use numbers, about which many people are paranoid.  I guess that is why the three word system appeals.

There is no reason why a smartphone could not have an app that showed lat and long at the press of a button, for you to read out to an emergency service, nor why they could not have an app that instantly highlighted that co-ordinate on their maps, without your having to dig deep for EXIF data or whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

and that is why What3words is so great.

I've already expressed my reservations about what3words earlier in the thread. I've only to get one letter wrong in my home address in North Yorkshire for it to look like I lived in Beijing. But I've got the app on my phone nevertheless.

Screenshot_20190905-212053.thumb.png.3b8466fffed627217bcd649426c29531.png

4 hours ago, hawkaye said:

On Android in the Google Photos app simply select an image from the Halsey, swipe up and location detail is at the bottom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawkaye said:

I've already expressed my reservations about what3words earlier in the thread. I've only to get one letter wrong in my home address in North Yorkshire for it to look like I lived in Beijing. But I've got the app on my phone nevertheless.

You only need to get a letter or a number wrong when putting a postcode in your satnav and you end up somewhere you didn’t want to be, I think it’s called pilot error!

Nothing wrong with the software or App

• +1 1

Had to call green flag up on the outskirts of the m 25 last week, she asked where we were pulled up and armed with my 3 words she didn’t have a clue what I was on about😂so we went back to the old fashioned way of trying to guess what junction I had passed 

• Haha 3

what a good idea, fromm somebody who happened upon an RTC many yeasrs before mobles. I was travelling from Home to Moretom in Marsh, in a Brgade staff car, when  found the incident involving casualties and managed to get on the brgades rado scheme (Qxfordshre I thnk). All went well untl I was asked for the address and I had no idea. I was ona country road and that's all  knew. Luckily a postman came rounf the corner and he was so knoeledgable he could name the Fire Staton cat!

So this is a very useablle tool, now how to get one that can tell the 1000th caller that we arealready attendng the rather spectacular blaze thar they have just reported..........................

1 hour ago, ian dunning said:

what a good idea, fromm somebody who happened upon an RTC many yeasrs before mobles. I was travelling from Home to Moretom in Marsh, in a Brgade staff car, when  found the incident involving casualties and managed to get on the brgades rado scheme (Qxfordshre I thnk). All went well untl I was asked for the address and I had no idea. I was ona country road and that's all  knew. Luckily a postman came rounf the corner and he was so knoeledgable he could name the Fire Staton cat!

So this is a very useablle tool, now how to get one that can tell the 1000th caller that we arealready attendng the rather spectacular blaze thar they have just reported..........................

In your case I doubt if the three words would help them locate the RTA.  :D

14 hours ago, hawkaye said:

If a Yorkshire emergency services vehicle gets sent to Bejing, they know it's wrong!

With one digit wrong in a postcode or co-ordinates they can waste lots of time searching the next village! 

On 23/03/2019 at 10:27, Durbanite said:

Unless you are in Wales on a twisting back road in the valleys in a black spot like what happened to us in August 2017.  Serious accident head on collision involving a car and a girl on a motor bike.

My TT Satnav told us where we were, but unable to communicate with 999.  I think the app works using the Internet therefore would be equally as useless, but if someone could test this and update it would be welcome because as Andy says it could save someone life.

It shouldn't need the internet, just a GPS signal - it's a "simple" algorithm from the latitude/longitude.

I also have an app which gives me an 8-character OS grid reference which also works from GPS position

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

With one digit wrong in a postcode or co-ordinates they can waste lots of time searching the next village!

Postcodes are near useless in rural areas. My visitors have wasted lots of time looking for me with our postcode instead of listening to my instructions.  Postcodes are designed around postmen's itineries and were never meant to show a location topologically. The Post Office have never published maps of postcodes for that reason. My postcode covers about a dozen properties, some of which are up side lanes and nearly half a mile away from me.  It is different in a city where a postcode covers perhaps only half of one side of a street.

Edited by Bolingbroke
Typo

1 minute ago, Bolingbroke said:

Postcodes are near useless in rural areas. My visitors have wasted lots of time looking for me with our postcode instead of listening to my instructions.  Postcodes are designed around postmen's itineries and were never meant to show a location topologically. The Post Office have never published maps of postcodes for that reason. My postcode covers about a dozen properties, some of which are up side lanes and nearly half a mile away from me.  It is different in a city where a postcode covers perhaps only half of one side of a street.

I recently stayed at a CL in Gloucestershire, near the Prescott Hill Climb - the instructions warn against using the postcode on the satnav - I discovered that it takes you past the site and up the hillclimb course!

2 hours ago, Bolingbroke said:

Whilst they are included on most SatNav devices, Postcodes were never intended as navigational aids as they are now.

https://www.postalmuseum.org/discover/collections/postcodes/

It would be good if it didn't keep crashing. I've now uninstalled it.

21 minutes ago, Cliff&Jackie said:

It would be good if it didn't keep crashing. I've now uninstalled it.

Had it installed for a while and had no problems, are you sure it’s the App?

5 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Had it installed for a while and had no problems, are you sure it’s the App?

It happens on my daughter's phone as well!