Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

A brilliant way to find your exact location (crash, breakdown etc)

The new What3words app is now being used by more and more emergency services. It enables them to locate your EXACT location.

Download it onto your phone or tablet and SHOULD you ever need to summon assistance you are no longer thinking

“Well about half a mile back I passed a road to I’m not sure where, and I’ve come up a hill and HURRY UP the other driver looks badly injured!!!!” 

Do it NOW, it’s free and could save a life!!!!

Andy

Just search  for What3words 

• Thanks 3

Already have it installed. Was a topic on here a couple of weeks ago - or maybe another forum, i can't remember.

I'm currently at decreased.singer.tape :D 

The really useful thing about it is that it works all over the world so if abroad and in need of assistance it will still pinpoint your location.

I am aware it was discussed a while ago but I don’t think anyone highlighted it’s usefulness in respect of summoning assistance in an emergency. Hence the heading of this thread. 

Andy

19 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The new What3words app is now being used by more and more emergency services. It enables them to locate your EXACT location.

Download it onto your phone or tablet and SHOULD you ever need to summon assistance you are no longer thinking

“Well about half a mile back I passed a road to I’m not sure where, and I’ve come up a hill and HURRY UP the other driver looks badly injured!!!!” 

Do it NOW, it’s free and could save a life!!!!

Andy

Just search  for What3words 

Does that work everywhere Andy or just the UK?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

All over the world!!!!

https://what3words.com/

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think it's a brilliant idea as post codes can leave sat navs taking you round in circles finding a address and breaking down and talking to breakdown services can end in the vehicle searching in the wrong end of the road.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

19 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

They have divided the entire planet up in to 27 trillion 3 metre squares & given each one a unique 3 word 'code' so it will give your location anywhere on the entire planet. 

12 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I think it's a brilliant idea as post codes can leave sat navs taking you round in circles finding a address and breaking down and talking to breakdown services can end in the vehicle searching in the wrong end of the road.

Dave

I had to phone a breakdown after a wheel exploded on me on the M20 & the car i was in had no spare. I was next to a road marker & told the rac  operator what number was on it & also my rough location. They couldn't tell from that even what motorway i was on. I told him i don't know how many times i was on the M20. Eventually he said he'd get the patrol to call me, which he did a few minutes later. I gave the patrol the number marker number & he found it straight away & was with us a few minutes later. 

If we had had the what3words then i could have saved us the 20 minutes i spent on the phone to the inept operator telling him i wasn't on the M1, I was on the M20!!

34 minutes ago, Woodie106 said:

Was a topic on here a couple of weeks ago - or maybe another forum, i can't remember.

It was on here Woodie …

John

Just downloaded it. Looks good - thanks Andy.

Cheers,

Tanker.

I guess we Windows phone users will have to depend on My Location Free for address, postcode and lat/long. As we have done for years.

I've looked on the website but I fail to see what advantage there is in giving a location a 3 (English) word address. I can't imagine the length of the conversation if you're trying to get a French ambulance to a wreck in a remote corner of France. Are you going to be spelling each English word to the operator over a dodgy mobile connection? Do worldwide emergency services have What3 Words?  What happens in China?

Yes, postcodes have their limitations. The system was designed to help postmen deliver stuff after all, not find a caravan on its side on the M5. That's what lat/long is for. I thought.

Has anyone else discovered One Touch Location. I have it on my phone. So long as you have a signal it will give you your location in Lat/Long. Also, Whatsapp has a locator which gives your position on a map; supposedly accurate to within 3 mtrs. 

2 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

I've looked on the website but I fail to see what advantage there is in giving a location a 3 (English) word address. 

Get even one digit wrong in coordinates and you have a completely wrong but believable location. With consequent wasted time.

Get any error in What3words and you either have a "fail to find" by the system or a location that is plainly wrong (wrong country etc.), 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

I guess we Windows phone users will have to depend on My Location Free for address, postcode and lat/long. As we have done for years.

I've looked on the website but I fail to see what advantage there is in giving a location a 3 (English) word address. I can't imagine the length of the conversation if you're trying to get a French ambulance to a wreck in a remote corner of France. Are you going to be spelling each English word to the operator over a dodgy mobile connection? Do worldwide emergency services have What3 Words?  What happens in China?

Yes, postcodes have their limitations. The system was designed to help postmen deliver stuff after all, not find a caravan on its side on the M5. That's what lat/long is for. I thought.

Look If you don’t want it don’t download it, posting negative comments benefits no-one. 

SOME people might find it useful, and it’s for them I posted this. 

Not a lot of caravanners are going to be touring in China are they??

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • +1 1

They are using it in Mongolia and have been since 2016 so if you tour out there you should be fine if you run into trouble.

• Thanks 1

Hope it's better than my Microsoft locator on my laptop, It tells me I'm in Brighton and not Cardiff!

Here is a video explaining how what3words works and the benefits of this new technology.

I've installed the app, it tells me my three words and shows my location on my phone, but a search for my address gives a different three words and location, but  close enough to find me.

So all good.  Thanks Mr P!

We have what3words IOS app which I think is brilliant, but what happened to eCall which was going to be rolled out in 2018 to all new vehicles? Looks like only the top of the range vehicles have it fitted as standard and only a few car manufactures have it as an option!  

How does it work?  Do you have to remember your  three words?   Surely if you use them, it would give

your home location.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Look If you don’t want it don’t download it, posting negative comments benefits no-one. 

Andy

Sorry if you interpreted my query as negativity.

Nobody's touring in China but I'm implying it's a flaw in the system using English words which, from what I can gather, depend on correct spelling.

Edited by hawkaye
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, gravon42 said:

How does it work?  Do you have to remember your  three words?   Surely if you use them, it would give

your home location.

For example, if you fall while hill walking and need help, you open the app on your phone, it gives you the three words for your exact location. You phone 999 explain the situation and give them the three words by phone or SMS and the rescue helicopter flies straight to you. It might be useful to remember the three words for your home. But every other place has three words of its own, for a caravanner the three words for the gate to the rally field would be handy, or the exact location of your car so that the breakdown van can drive straight to you even on a long country lane.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

I been China - though not in a caravan :P

8 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

Nobody's touring in China but I'm implying it's a flaw in the system using English words which, from what I can gather, depend on correct spelling.

Yes, it depends on correct spelling, but it knows nonsense when it sees it and a believable wrong spelling will normally be obvious such as in the wrong country.

29 minutes ago, gravon42 said:

your home location.

No real difference to your postcode then.

9 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

Sorry if you interpreted my query as negativity.

Just as long/lat depend on inputting the correct figures & post codes depend on inputting the correct letters & numbers. None of them are perfect, but what 3 words will be obviously wrong apparently.

I think the end game is that you will be able to use the app itself - you might be able to now, i don't know ive not tried it - to broadcast your location directly, rather than you having to spell it out to someone. So if you are say stuck on the M5, you open the app and send a message via the app itself to whomever it is you need assistance from, rather than you telling them. It then locates you to them & they know where you are to within 3 metres without the need for spellcheck.

Sign in to follow this