ericmark

Meares-Irlen Syndrome and front heated windscreens?

Medical research has shown that this type of perceptual problem appears to be caused by a defect in one of the visual pathways that carries messages from the eye to the brain. This defect causes a timing fault in processing visual information. Filtering out specific wave lengths of light helps the pathway to function normally.

Both wife and daughter both have new cars with front heated screens where there are fine wires in the screen, it does not seem to affect us driving the car, however we feel nauseous when travelling as passengers.

My wife has always had problems sitting in rear of the car, but not in front, and has no problem with boats, planes buses or trains, I find with boats after 2 days I feel sick, in the South Atlantic but not had problems any other time, and it was force 10 so good reason.

So this feeling sick in cars is something new for me, and I wonder if there is a link to the wires in the screen acting like a 1/4 filter or something?

Hard to see if the windscreen May be a cause.  Not had that complaint in my car.  But sea sickness is an odd thing.  Clearly some are affected more than others.  Just the thought of going on a boat makes my wife feel queezy.  I am not bad, however, one year on route to St Malo. The channel looked fairly calm and it was a very pleasant day.  But 90% were suffering.  The crew said it was because there was a swell.  

John

Been on four 2 week cruises now and although I don't suffer from sea sickness, for the first day back at home I get the sense that I am swaying around slightly.

No problems with my windscreen though.

Posted (edited)

Are both new cars the same make/dealer ? If could be the new smell chemicals are affecting you but when driving you are concentrating on something that takes your mind off it. Try with a good flow of outside air at face height and see if it still happens. Soft suspension or spirited driving can also affect passengers more than drivers.

Edited by Paul1957

Sorry new to us, not brand new, one is a Ford the other a Jaguar and non of us suffer if we are driving, it is only when travelling as a passenger,  the nauseous feeling is always worst when in the back of car, or trying to read, specially map reading, so would guess brought on by flashing of light through trees etc. However until these two new cars, front seat just looking at scenery and chatting it has never been a problem.

It could be some thing else entirely, hence the question, if others have found the same then know the reason at least.  

I dont have an issue with heated windscreen in OH’s car.

However as a passenger in any car, I cannot read or look at a map without feeling quite sickly.

Any general ear/sinus/vertigo/balance problems at present for you and yours?  It's normally the differing eyes and ear tubes messages confusing the brain that gives rise to motion sickness.

When I test drove a Mondeo with heated screen (many, many years back - maybe 20?) all I could see/focus on was the wires.  So that was immediately discounted as a potential towcar.  I found them very distracting.

THAT might account for it in part as normally you'd focus on the horizon rather than the lines on the screen?

Rear seat, again is often an issue of inability to see the horizon well enough.  I find the dark tinted 'privacy' windows in back make me an uncomfortable passenger.

Since that time, though we've had a FL2 plus two Galaxys with the heated screens and no issue (more than 10 years altogether)... their screens are further away than in the old Mondeo though.  Rarely, the wires are highlighted under certain lighting conditions, but mostly they aren't noticed.

I believe the screens also have coatings to reflect infra red (to reduce solar gain), but that may or may not have any relevance.

That sounds more like a leaky exhaust than Irlen Syndrome, does your wife have any difficulty with letters or numbers swapping around when writing etc.

My granddaughter has it and as it spotted early she now wears glasses with coloured lenses for school, most of us in our family tend to move letters around a bit, "the" becomes "teh" for example, however on a brighter note we manage to phone a few interesting people when we've shuffled the  phone numbers :)

Oh and it keeps the spell chequer in job 

Posted (edited)

Unless there are problems with the cars' suspensions, it sounds like motion sickness. The NHS website has a page on it https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/motion-sickness/

If you ever go on a chemical plant with high level open grating floors, if high up and you look down and the grating and ground below appear moving at different relative speeds it makes you feel unsteady. If you find you are focusing on the wires in the screen it could be similar.

Edited by Paul1957

Attempted concentrated eye focus on small detail for any extended period whilst moving is likely to cause motion sickness, especially for things like reading.

Posted (edited)
On 20/03/2019 at 01:18, ericmark said:

So this feeling sick in cars is something new for me, and I wonder if there is a link to the wires in the screen acting like a 1/4 filter or something?

Not a chance. The wavelength of light is so small in comparison to the thickness of the  wires and the gap between, all wavelengths will get through. Wavelength of light is between 0.0000004 and 0.0000007 metres.

Edited by thebriars

On 20/03/2019 at 09:17, Griff said:

Been on four 2 week cruises now and although I don't suffer from sea sickness, for the first day back at home I get the sense that I am swaying around slightly.

No problems with my windscreen though.

None with mine either, but I never travel as a passenger in it.

I bet most people would be a bit queasy if they were on this cruise liner off Norway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47680055

I have to say that I can see when the windscreen heater is on.  

I inadvertently switched it on when the windscreen was completely dry and frost free and immediately experienced mild visual moving distortions ...which made me feel a bit nauseous for a few minutes.  My wife, the passenger, didn’t see it...so it’s not the same as the op. But switching off the heater was an immediate relief. 

is this something that you have googled or have you been diagnosed with it ?  If you have travel sickness then try a travel sickness pill to try and rule this out and perhaps have a word with an optician to see if they can help.  It may be that you are focusing on the heated windscreen too much, so you should look to the distance, through the windscreen and not at it. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, joanie said:

is this something that you have googled or have you been diagnosed with it ?  If you have travel sickness then try a travel sickness pill to try and rule this out and perhaps have a word with an optician to see if they can help.  It may be that you are focusing on the heated windscreen too much, so you should look to the distance, through the windscreen and not at it. 

I just started wearing varifocal glasses and the wires are a lot more obvious now.

Edited by ericfield

it's surprising what you can see with a new pair of glasses:) I've also recently had some and I can now read the small print, makes a real difference.