Sign in to follow this  
GaryB1969

Audi A7 2.0 diesel - towbar retro fitting

Ok, not a common tow car, but does anyone have one? I’m curious to know if they’re like some other German manufacturers and supposed to have a fan/cooling upgrade if they have an aftermarket towbar fitted rather than factory.

When I asked Audi customer services ( joke ) about a cooling system upgrade on my SQ5 they were totally unhelpful because the towbar was retrofitted by A N  other..Eventually,when I said"if you were fitting a towbar retrospectively for me ,would you feel it necessary to modify the cooling system in any way?"  I received a curt "no".

My old 3.0Tdi A4 cab had no mods either.No problems ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R&B said:

When I asked Audi customer services ( joke ) about a cooling system upgrade on my SQ5 they were totally unhelpful because the towbar was retrofitted by A N  other..Eventually,when I said"if you were fitting a towbar retrospectively for me ,would you feel it necessary to modify the cooling system in any way?"  I received a curt "no".

My old 3.0Tdi A4 cab had no mods either.No problems ever.

Strange coincidence, I towed with a 3.0tdi A4 cab and now use an SQ5 - still got the old bus actually. 

Back on topic, the A4 has an aftermarket bar with no cooling upgrades and didn't overheat, despite towing at 100%.

The SQ5 has a factory bar but there was no mention in the specs of it having cooling upgrades either, it was a £650 option, if fans/radiators etc had to be uprated I think it would probably have been a lot more.

I think the A7's cooling will be fine, should be a good tow car IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve05 said:

The SQ5 has a factory bar but there was no mention in the specs of it having cooling upgrades either, it was a £650 option, if fans/radiators etc had to be uprated I think it would probably have been a lot more.

Not in the case of my VW Touareg - for about the same cost, my factory-fit towbar included the uprated fan.

47 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Not in the case of my VW Touareg - for about the same cost, my factory-fit towbar included the uprated fan.

Possibly because the Touareg can tow a lot more?

16 minutes ago, Steve05 said:

Possibly because the Touareg can tow a lot more?

Silly situation in that of all the European countries, only VW UK specifies a lower-rated cooling fan as standard - in all other European countries, the Touareg gets the higher-rated fan whether towing or not.

This applies to a lot of German cars, not just those with high towing weights, my previous C Class estate was one. The reason for asking is that I am now having to choose my new car and I had shortlisted the Audi A6 Avant and Volvo V90. We’ve just changed lease companies and the A7 is on the list BUT adding a factory towbar pushes it outside of my allowance so I’d have to have an aftermarket towbar fitted, hence trying to ascertain if the A7 needs an upgrade. Asking Audi is a very painful exercise so looking to see if anyone has any experience 

I have an aftermarket tow bar, Westfalia, fitted to my 2011 3.0 A6 and as I have previously posted have never had a problem with engine running hot when towing. This includes many miles of continental use in temperatures up to 35 degrees.

John. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My last company car was leased and there was no problem if it was ordered with a factory fit towbar, however for an aftermarket towbar it was by  specified by the lease company that this must be fitted by a qualified fitter (written evidencefrom fitter  had to be supplied and accepted)  and written acceptance of the evidence from the lease comany sent to my employer before the towbarcould be fitted . Naturally as the aftermarket towbar was classed as a modification my employer had to notify their  insurance company

Edited by terve