Sounds like a good idea for checking your road lights

Years and years ago Lucas made a 2TU trailer lighting unit after BMC came out with two level rear lights so brake lights and indicators were brighter in the day to at night time, so connecting a trailer to rear lights would damage the resistors, so the 2TU had a bank of relays so trailer lights were triggered by vehicle rear lights, but powered independently, and there was a current relay which worked warning lights or flags on the dash,  never actually seen flags used, but it seems buzzer alone is not permitted as drivers don't need to be able to hear, only sight it tested.

I note my car today only has a buzzer for trailer indicators, I did not think this complied, however I don't really want the work of fitting a warning light. Anyway indicators and side lights are easy enough to test, same with rear guard fog warning, it is only brake lights and reversing lights which present a problem.  And to be frank my caravan today does not need the revering light supply to stop over run brakes coming on when reversing, so only the brake lights present a problem.

I use to have a bit of stick that fitted between steering wheel and foot brake.  

8 hours ago, ericmark said:

Years and years ago Lucas made a 2TU trailer lighting unit after BMC came out with two level rear lights so brake lights and indicators were brighter in the day to at night time, so connecting a trailer to rear lights would damage the resistors, so the 2TU had a bank of relays so trailer lights were triggered by vehicle rear lights, but powered independently, and there was a current relay which worked warning lights or flags on the dash,  never actually seen flags used, but it seems buzzer alone is not permitted as drivers don't need to be able to hear, only sight it tested.

I note my car today only has a buzzer for trailer indicators, I did not think this complied, however I don't really want the work of fitting a warning light. Anyway indicators and side lights are easy enough to test, same with rear guard fog warning, it is only brake lights and reversing lights which present a problem.  And to be frank my caravan today does not need the revering light supply to stop over run brakes coming on when reversing, so only the brake lights present a problem.

I use to have a bit of stick that fitted between steering wheel and foot brake.  

Either audible or visual warning is acceptable - and can work either way, telling you they're working or warning you they aren't.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

It appears that most people when alone, check the stop light of the caravan by wedging the brake pedal down by various means. I wonder therefore if there is a market for a simple stick that can be placed between the driver's seat and the brake pedal :unsure:

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

36 minutes ago, Gordon said:

It appears that most people when alone, check the stop light of the caravan by wedging the brake pedal down by various means. I wonder therefore if there is a market for a simple stick that can be placed between the driver's seat and the brake pedal :unsure:

A standard brick does the job just as well - ok at home, but not so convenient on site

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

9 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

A standard brick does the job just as well - ok at home, but not so convenient on site

But what about the PAYLOAD!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

5 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

It wouldn't be everso difficult to carry a brick around with you, likewise a stick or piece of wood cut to the right length.

I can't actually see that there's a market for a "simple stick" although I'm sure some enterprising person could devise a super duper telescopic device for which the gullible could be relieved of between £10 - £20, especially if it came with a brightly coloured instruction leaflet with pictures of caravans etc on it:rolleyes:

• Like 2

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

A bored 14 year old child does this for very little.  Getting them out of bed/away from their phone for ten minutes is a battle but at least it gets her out in the fresh air!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

5 hours ago, matelodave said:

I'm sure some enterprising person could devise a super duper telescopic device for which the gullible could be relieved of between £10 - £20, especially if it came with a brightly coloured instruction leaflet with pictures of caravans etc on it:rolleyes:

That's pretty much what I was thinking of but if someone does market it, I will expect it to be acknowledged as my idea and be compensated accordingly for pinching my idea :) 

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

Awe - beaten to it . . . :blush:

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

I now have to travel alone and check my road lights by switching on running lights. I can see the caravan white lights. I go to the back of the caravan and remotely unlock my car which flashes the indicator lamps. Brake lights were the problem solved by wiring a small LED bulb visible at the front of the van and connected to the van brake light circuit. A dab on the brake pedal confirms all is OK.  There is really no need to check right and left indicators separately  as they are unlikely to transpose and both work while on tour.  A lighting check I believe is to check that the recently made 13pin connection has been successful.

On 19/03/2019 at 20:17, Johnaldo said:

Apparently Brink's towing looms have a little trick up their sleeves whereby they are able to check the road lights for you without the need for SWMBO waving her arms about and shouting at the rear of the caravan.

Does anyone have this feature, and does it help?

John

Looks like the answer is a "No" then  :unsure:

John

7 hours ago, Rabbie said:

Brake lights were the problem solved by wiring a small LED bulb visible at the front of the van and connected to the van brake light circuit. A dab on the brake pedal confirms all is OK

Not quite I'm afraid. You will have checked there is a 12V feed to the caravan but not that a caravan brake light bulb has not blown. Therefore looking at the rear of the caravan while the brakes are applied is really  needed.

Gordon.

• Like 1

I have been digging for a solution for you Rabbie and came across the circuit below. I assume there are protection fuses included and I do not know the kind of diode was used but it appears to do the job if I understand the circuit correctly. It does not say so but I suspect the test switch probably turns off automatically again after maybe a minute or so? Presumably it could also be replaced by timer relay triggered by a push button on the dashboard. I may consider something like this for the camper when towing the boat trailer alone.

1427595923_BrakeLightTestCircuit.jpg.28781d64522e10cc601f976be981ab00.jpg

If you don't like something but can't change it, change the way you think about it.

10 hours ago, Campervan said:

I have been digging for a solution for you Rabbie and came across the circuit below.

That circuit will check that the trailer plug connection is good and that the trailer bulbs are good, but not whether the brake pedal switch is working. However you can check that (at night anyway) by whether the car's brake lights illumunate the front of the caravan. So not a bad idea.

Presumably the inhibit relay is only closed (ie conducts) when the ignition is off to ensure you don't accidentally leave the brake lights on when driving after the test.  The timer on the switch is does the same - belt and braces. This diode should do the job :- https://cpc.farnell.com/vishay/gi750-e3-54/diode-6a-50v/dp/SC07353

10 hours ago, Campervan said:

I suspect the test switch probably turns off automatically again after maybe a minute or so? Presumably it could also be replaced by timer relay triggered by a push button on the dashboard.

Same thing really.

Just tried using a sash clamp and it worked well for checking the brake lights. It is similar to this 24 inch spreader clamp from Machine Mart for £9.59 https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht856-24-spreader-clamp/ The bar is held against the pedal (already pushed down by a foot) whilst the handle is pulled up against the bottom of the steering wheel to set it. A sash clamp has other uses as well, it was originally bought when having to fix some kitchen cupboard doors.

Pedal clamp.JPG

Edited by Paul1957
  • Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I used to use an old hammer to check the trailer brake lights; wedge the shaft under clutch and accelerator and across the top of the brake pedal ... Heath Robinson, but worked quite well.

Steve

• Like 1

A broom handle, a foot length of 3"x1/2" wood with a hole the size of the handle in one end, put the handle through the  hole then rest the flat bit of wood against the seat and press the handle on the foot peddle.

To release push the seat back a notch.

Or if you don't have a drill, a broom handle against the seat back rest and then tilt the seat forward

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 1 month later...

Put your phone behind caravan turn on video, back to car do lights stuff, come back review video. Or just ask someone 

On 31/03/2019 at 15:02, Paul1957 said:

Pedal clamp.JPG

While not possible with the "sash clamp", your image reminds me of a situation many years ago when my MiL inappropriately used a Krooklok by placing it under the brake pedal instead of the clutch pedal, then for some reason drove off without removing it to find she could not stop! Consequently she smashed through the front window of a shop. The police were called and told there was a ram raid in progress, and when they arrived they found a pensioner extricating herself from the car :blush:

VW Tiguan Trailer Control system monitors the light functions - rapid flashing of the indicator light when a bulb worked loose on my general purpose trailer. Despite having seen this work, when we hitch up the caravan, I'm still more comfortable shouting to Mrs Marchie at the rear of the van who responds with which light is illuminated! Or, to coin a phrase, as the friars found when they tried to recolour their garments, 'Old Habits Dye Hard ...'

Steve