Sign in to follow this  
flatrightout

Crack In 2012 Coachman Amara Roof

Hi All, 

Here is my little problem I came across today whilst giving my 2012 Coachman Amara a little spring clean today, 

To my horror I found two cracks in the roof panel that joins the side panel, 

Check out the photos,

If anyone can give some advice of how to repair it would be great,

Having researched I am aware of the hole drilling and filling technique,

If any one has anymore information or advice I would really appreciate it,

Im wondering if I use it, (as planned for this weekend) I run the risk of the crack getting a whole lot worse.

Thanks All 

caravan1.jpg

caravan2.jpg

I had this type of problem on  a 2002 Amara front panel, which was out of warranty by a couple of years. If you prise the rubber cover out of the groove you will no doubt see a screw, which will have been the cause. I got in touch with an approved Coachman dealer who took photos sent them to Coachman, who then approved a new panel FOC as it was down to manufacturing process because the hole had not been bigger than the screw.

In the meantime I stuck tape over the crack and carried on using the van until it went in for repair

Worth a go 

Edited by kiaboy
  • Thanks 1

This is a common problem with ABS panels of a certain age unfortunately. Good Luck with Coachman but when I tried to claim on a 7 year old van, they said 6 years warranty only. This was 2017.

UPDATE, spoken to highbridge caravans today, warranty on coachmans for water ingress is 6 years .....

So DIY fix is required, any advice would be great. 

38 minutes ago, flatrightout said:

UPDATE, spoken to highbridge caravans today, warranty on coachmans for water ingress is 6 years .....

So DIY fix is required, any advice would be great. 

Not sure what water ingress has to do with a cracked panel?  Probably due to a manufacturing defect the panel has cracked and you are not claiming for water ingress, you are claiming for a replacement panel or repair.  It would be a long hard uphill battle however why was it not spotted earlier when the caravan was serviced?

The Caravan had a service last year it wasn't picked up then, so I can only assume it's happened during the cold winter / extreamly hot sumner we had. 

My solution finger crossed the crack won't get any bigger, next I will fill it. 

IMG-20190320-WA0001.jpeg

What are you going to fill it with? My suggestion would be Sikaflex or Soudal fix-all. Both easily available in white and will be hardly seen up there. Nothing to lose and just keep an eye on it you may find it is absolutely fine now you have prevented it cracking further. I would do exactly the same as you have rather than go to the cost and potential ongoing issues with a new rear panel. You could i guess even apply a small piece of plastic trim over it if necessary but you may find filling it is fine.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Only issue would when you come to trade it in as dealer will probably spot the repair.  Same if selling privately as you may need to declare the cracked panel to avoid any comebacks.

Durbanite i find you post / comments  very usefully and helpful - actally thinking about it, maybe not 

49 minutes ago, flatrightout said:

My solution finger crossed the crack won't get any bigger, next I will fill it. 

IMG-20190320-WA0001.jpeg

Good solution. 

If it stops any further cracking and water ingress then the dealer will not be bothered , as was mine when I traded it in after it being repaired

Edited by Benny65
  • Thanks 1

Puraflex 40 is a sealant best suited for marine and caravans as it flexes and doesnt split.

As recommended by a Kent caravan service engineer.

You can buy this from Tool Station at around £6 a tube, fits in a normal silicon gun.

I would clean the surface thoroughly and pierce the noozle with a tiny little hole and run that into the cracked area and smooth down afterwards. Keep an eye on it then.

• Like 1

We had a crack in our front panel ( Amara 520/4 -2012 ) contacted coachman & i was told to select a repairer. Chose one in Lancashire who is supposed to be the best.... 

Got told they were waiting for parts  to arrive from coachman ...... months later ( in the autumn ) i got a phone call to bring the van in -- they now were -er-ready. On arrival the service bays were empty Three staff set to on our van . we left & three days later received a phone call to pick it up. On arrival we were told that there was more than one crack. The person we spoke to was rather evasive in his answers -- we were led to believe we had a new front. Last year at our last rally of 2018 the wife pointed out that we had another crack above the front window. On stripping the windows of the van found 12 screws ---- & 11 cracks ! the repairer had been paid to fix 1 crack & thats what they did......

It became obvious that the front hadnt been changed( indeed one workman at the repairers said there was more than the one crack we could see ) So faced with 11 cracks i repaired it myself-- stitched it with copper wire & mixed some bits of old caravan plastic with Acetone & filled in the cracks & holes . I removed the screws & enlarged the holes to remove any stress . made good with Sikaflex & replaced the windows & mounting bar,we are due away soon ..............

Might add this was done in our storage compound---- no shelter !

Edited by david 1220
  • Like 1

I have been bitten in the B*m -- went out to move the van for the service engineer tomorrow to find that one of the screw cracks i repaired has re-cracked ( if theirs such a word.... ) wasn't there the other week-- but it is now ! Now thinking of fibreglass replacement front . The only firm that makes them gets a terrible write up.........

On 21/03/2019 at 15:54, david 1220 said:

I have been bitten in the B*m -- went out to move the van for the service engineer tomorrow to find that one of the screw cracks i repaired has re-cracked ( if theirs such a word.... ) wasn't there the other week-- but it is now ! Now thinking of fibreglass replacement front . The only firm that makes them gets a terrible write up.........

We went to our 2010  Coachman Pastiche 560 a couple of weeks ago to give it a clean, I noticed two small cracks in the front above the windows, three year ago we had the same problem & coachman arrange a complete new front to be fitted, I have checked for screws there are none where the cracks are, think they are stress cracks, taped them over for now, I am looking into have a firm in to do a small cover wrap over the area above the windows?

Went out to the van the other day -- the crack was noticeable , ( cold day ) went back yesterday ( hot sunshine ) & had a job seeing crack ! now thinking of glass mat & wire reinforcement.......

So it would seem thats it possible that thermal expansion plays a part in the problem.

On 19/03/2019 at 21:10, kiaboy said:

I had this type of problem on  a 2002 Amara front panel, which was out of warranty by a couple of years. If you prise the rubber cover out of the groove you will no doubt see a screw, which will have been the cause. I got in touch with an approved Coachman dealer who took photos sent them to Coachman, who then approved a new panel FOC as it was down to manufacturing process because the hole had not been bigger than the screw.

In the meantime I stuck tape over the crack and carried on using the van until it went in for repair

Worth a go 

Hi there , 

we bought a coachman vip 524 2010 and it didn’t have the crack now it does and we’ve noticed a lot in our storage yard are the same. Can I ask what’s the process and if you got it repaired ? I tried coachman and they never replied. 4 times 

I don't think a filler or silicon will hold as the van flexes. It needs something stronger but bonding to ABS is difficult.

I'd be very tempted to glue a structural piece of plastic over it using a pad or strips of 3Ms VHB tape.

That will provide structure

I read somewhere that a white lego brick and acetone mixed creates a melted plastic adhesive/filler but google it as could be wrong or get in touch with experts such as those at Sth Yorks Caravans whose body shop know how to do repairs like this.

13 hours ago, Kellyl110 said:

Hi there , 

we bought a coachman vip 524 2010 and it didn’t have the crack now it does and we’ve noticed a lot in our storage yard are the same. Can I ask what’s the process and if you got it repaired ? I tried coachman and they never replied. 4 times 

As quoted in my post, I got the authorised workshop to do my request, but you could try your dealer, Coachman provided the replacement FOC as it was clearly a manufacturing fault not fair wear and tear. I never paid a penny for the repair. 

• Like 1

A few years ago I had to replace the rear panel of my Fleetwood due to accident damage. To do that I purchased the last ever genuine rear panel blank from O'leary Motorhomes over a pattern fibreglass panel from somewhere else. However I could see that the panel was very thin in the area where this type of cracking occurs and I decided to strengthen it before fitting. The attached pics tell the story.

I'm not suggesting to remove an already fitted panel to do a repair, but Sikaflex or similar adhesive sealants will not work. Although these are 'ABS' panels I would not imagine the same MEK cleaner and ABS cement used for ABS pressure pipes would work either. Never seen it in any colour other than grey anyway. My suggestion is the same method used to repair boat hulls and it involves epoxy resin. Not white Gelcoat as this doesn't have the added wax, you want a product known as Flowcoat. Try a search for it on Ebay. I would use a rotary burr to create neat groove (e.g. 3mm wide but don't widen the actual crack) and then paint in the resin in layers until flush. Don't let it fully dry in-between layers or it won't key unless sanded. Then carefully go through the wet and dry grades until finishing off with T-cut and car polish, keeping as close to the repair area as possible. I think you'll need to pull back the awning rail near the section of repair to be fully effective.

StainlessBrace.jpg

Gluing2Panel.jpg

ReinforcedRearPanel.jpg

Edited by limecc
  • Like 2