Sign in to follow this  
Trigger

onboard water tank help

Hello. I’m a novice caravaner and I’ve recently purchased a secondhand Elddis

Crusader Tempest EB. I’m planning to go on my first outing next. The caravan has an inboard fresh water tank and the manual explains how to fill this using the out board aquaroll and pump, but the info is a little sketchy to sat the least. Can anyone tell me if the inboard tank gets topped up automatically from the aquaroll as water from the inboard tank is used? The manual talks about having the switch on the control panel set to “int” to use water from the inboard tank, but doesn’t say if this operates independanly from the aquaroll which is fitted with the pump. Thanks

hi I have traded in a tempest be at the end if last year so think I can recall how to do it. The ext fills the on board tank and this should cut off the aquaroll pump when the on board tank I full. Then switching to int will use the water in the on board tank. Having the rocker switch in the middle will then use the water directly from the aquaroll should you choose to do so.

Loved our  Tempest EB had our share of problems but it is a greasy family layout I hope you enjoy yours as much as we did.

Spencer 

Spencer

Thanks for your reply, it’s greatly appreciated. I’ve been trying it out and as you say, with the toggle switch in the middle, the pump on the external aquaroll operates when a tap is turned on (which is a bit illogical). I’ve also found out that the inboard tank has its own pump so I can get by now. Glad to hear you enjoyed your Tempest EB, I’m looking forward to spending sometime with mine. It was the caravan layout that impressed me when I was looking around for one. Thanks again. 

Steve

Can someone please tell the advantage of an on board water tank for the uk climate and caravanning season?

Its like the two Aqua rolls and only one waste master?

UK Caravan season?  Our season ends on 31st of December and Starts 1st January.  The advantage of an onboard tank 1, it doesn’t freeze, 2, I only need to carry one aquaroll 3, I can have a little bit of water in it for an in journey drink and toilet stop.  Apart from that I can’t see the point of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, fred said:

UK Caravan season?  Our season ends on 31st of December and Starts 1st January.  The advantage of an onboard tank 1, it doesn’t freeze, 2, I only need to carry one aquaroll 3, I can have a little bit of water in it for an in journey drink and toilet stop.  Apart from that I can’t see the point of them. 

+1 but our season doesn’t stop for Hogmanay.

Ian

2 hours ago, IanV8 said:

+1 but our season doesn’t stop for Hogmanay.

Ian

I didn't actually say we weren't in the van on those dates in question :D

• Haha 1

It always puzzles/amuses me when people say that they don't understand the benefits of an inboard tank.

I wouldn't be without it, and in fact it has been the reason I haven't changed my caravan as Swift, in their wisdom(?), for several years now haven't fitted ANY of their vans with the facility.

December is the only month of the year that our van isn't used.  Even throughout the year, the first thing I do with the water system is fill the inboard tank!  After all, it gives you an extra 20/40 litres of water!!

• Thanks 1

The reasons why I haven’t got a caravan with an onboard tank :

The tank has to be filled. 

This means you make just as many trips to the tap as ‘no tank’ caravans. 

Also the capacity of the waste master is only 40 litres or so. The extra water has to go somewhere. 

The water heater has a very limited capacity so long showers aren’t really possible. 

The internal tank uses more space and increases MTPLM. Adds complication to the plumbing. 

Extra expense with little benefit. 

The need for a full serviced pitch for the grey water disposal ( which negates the onboard tank as there is mains water feed). 

These are my reasons and just my thoughts. 

I am awaiting someones reply, as to why have 2 aquarolls outside the van?

Posted (edited)

Smino0_1

So am I! 

Even more more of a puzzle is where does the grey water go.....?

Edited by Gd485

When she's having a shower and I hear the scream "There's no water!!!" It's a lot easier and quicker to go out and change to the second aquaroll then to go and fill it. It also means that I don't have to go and refill a half full aquaroll just to make sure we have water. Worth the 50 quid for an extra aquaroll.

AndersG

........ but what happens to the extra grey water? 

Some of the water get used for drinking or cooking and never gets to the waste master. At other times we are on rallies or a CL where the grey water is piped to the hedgerow or edge of the field. If we are using the waste master and it overflows it's still a lot better than running out of water while showering but only had it overflow a few times.

Nice!

Trigger, where did you purchase your Tempest eb from?