Sign in to follow this  
Arnie

South Wales

Anyone stayed at South Wales Caravan Park
Llwynifan Farm 
Llangennech
Llanelli
Carmarthenshire?

we are in north wales for 4 nights , just wondering if it’s worth the drive south , the site has great reviews but it’s always better to hear from the horses mouth so to speak.

We looked it this place theother week online.looks good and has high rating.but is terraced and would not accomodate our 8.2m van tho.

From North Wales (depends where) to Llanelli  could be a long tow. Easiest  route may be via The Midlands.

Even that route could be over 4 hours in a straight hop via M6 etc with a caravan.

Nice site, walking distance to basic shops and pubs. Good dog walking if you have one but need to be on quiet B-road to get to woods. Showers are in a different block next door to the toilets and basins. Accommodated our 9.2m tag axle MH on the top terrace with no problems. Friendly owners and must be popular as there was/is a waiting list for seasonal pitches on the two lower terraces. Good base to explore from, fully serviced pitches. Steep approach driveway.

Probably wouldn't return again as the site just didn't do it for us. Might have been different if we'd had a caravan at the time.

Llanelli, my home town, also the home of the famous Scarlets Rugby Club, so I know the area very well, we have not stayed there but it is in the Tranquil Parks Adult only site group, we have stayed on a few and found them to be of a high standard, the route from north to south that we use is Wrexham, Llangurig, Rhayader, Builth Wells, Llandovery. We have used this route many times and found it not a problem with a van in tow, the other benefit is the beautiful scenery particularly from Llangurig to Rhayader. I am sure someone else will be along and give you another route, but this one suits us fine

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ern said:

From North Wales (depends where) to Llanelli  could be a long tow. Easiest  route may be via The Midlands.

IM doing exactly this May half term

llandeillo for 3 nights then llanberris for 4

the kids are going to hate us 😂 

17 hours ago, Arnie said:

Anyone stayed at South Wales Caravan Park
Llwynifan Farm 
Llangennech
Llanelli
Carmarthenshire?

we are in north wales for 4 nights , just wondering if it’s worth the drive south , the site has great reviews but it’s always better to hear from the horses mouth so to speak.

Going there today well in an hour for nearly three weeks . Reviews look good and pictures so will let you know .

Dave

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Going there today well in an hour for nearly three weeks . Reviews look good and pictures so will let you know .

Dave

Enjoy the area Dave, weather due to improve, Bon Route 

Thanks for all the input guys . I’ve booked it for 4 nights in May . The site we are going to in Holyhead is pen y  Llyn . So it’s leaving there heading south . I’ll give the m6 a miss , I’ll head down the west coast , it’s only about 160 miles but it will take about 5 hours.

We stayed there about 2 years ago. Very nice site and well looked after. Easy drive into the retail park by Parc Y Scarlets rugby stadium which has all the usual retail outlets. Plenty to visit in the area including Pembrey sands, the Gower peninsular and don't forget the National Botanic Gardens of Wales. Use the route suggested by Les, (I think its the A483, A470 and then the A483 again), easy drive, even with the caravan.

Mike.

Tricky bit could be Menai Bridge to Maentwrog - it's a bit twisty if you go Caernarfon and Beddgelert way - may be better to consider going via Betws-y-Coed and Blaenau Ffestiniog. Then Dolgellau, Mach, Aber and Carmarthen.

John

This is the route I’ll probably take (blue line)

869E911C-4163-4BBD-AE47-D46412F983A0.png

Posted (edited)

Take the 30 min slower route, the fast route from Dolgellau there is a long hill with at least one tight bend, I remember towing a trailer with a Lada Samara with my daughters things for Uni in Lamperter I got to cross foxes OK but decided not to turn right as knew there was a steep hill that way, but also steep the other way and wife and daughter had to walk to top.

I am sure a modern car would do it, today manufacturers state how much the car can tow, but it's still a long steep climb, other option is through Tywyn and Aberdovey but it's a windy road, also bridge at Machynlleth is right hand bend into it one has to be careful not to cut corner.

It may say 30 min slower, but I would think there is very little in it, If you stay on A55 to Chester then turn to Wrexham it is duel carriage way until nearly Oswestry so easy stress free driving, even after still reasonable roads.

Edited by ericmark
  • Like 2

I have towed a TA 2000 kg caravan from Anglesey to Aberystwyth about 5 years ago and although a few bends and narrow stretches that need to be alert no real issues .

Enjoy the site . Really lovely owners and very well kept and they have thought of everything to make people enjoy their stay . One site I would recommend and a gem .

2 o'clock arrival is important as it is a single road entrance .

Carveryt the Bridge  and Fish and Chips at the High Tide good and recommended .

Dave