Sign in to follow this  

I recall someone on this forum relating an incident when he parked in a row of empty spaces at the far side of the supermarket carpark. He returned after shopping to discover a car parked close up alongside his vehicle....and the rest of the row still empty. The lady driver returned before he had finished loading and so he asked why she parked next to his car with all the other spaces available. She said that if she parked next to a new expensive car ‘they wouldn’t bang her car with their door”.

I noticed the opposite effect....after a day out on the marshes I parked my mud splattered 4x4 in the Tesco carpark. When I came out both spaces next to me were empty. 🤔

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

Livi, come on, try to explain. Strange some of you are so wound up about it but it is me being called inconsiderate etc.

Another post with no explanation ho hum.

I took the time to explain my reason.

Better to have tried and failed then never to have tried at all so go on Livi, try

macafee2

OK, there may well be other spaces available when you park up, but you have no way of knowing how long that situation will stay the same and whether your actions will deprive someone else, possibly with mobility issues, of a parking place. 

To my simple thinking, that is inconsiderate. The fact that you have done it deliberately makes you selfish ( why is your car more important than everyone else's?).

I agree that you are not ignorant.  You know exactly what you are doing, so yes, arrogant as well probably.

I too do everything I can to avoid parking dinks and always park in the least busy parts of car parks(which usually means someone parks right alongside me anyway), but I have never and will never park across two parking spaces. I do this  out of CONSIDERATION for my fellow motorists.

HTH.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

Livi, come on, try to explain. Strange some of you are so wound up about it but it is me being called inconsiderate etc.

Another post with no explanation ho hum.

I took the time to explain my reason.

Better to have tried and failed then never to have tried at all so go on Livi, try

macafee2

It breaks down a simple formula - 

You have one car which should occupy one parking space, occupying more than one space is selfish and inconsiderate to others users of the carpark.

You could arrive and the carpark could be almost empty, when you come back the carpark  could be full,  meaning one person has been unable to park because of your actions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Durbanite said:

However you would still need to prove who put the sticker on the window and somehow I doubt very much if the police would be interested.  Not nice but then if the person parked correctly they would not have a sticker on the window!

I agree regarding inconsiderate parking BUT it still does not excuse this sort of behaviour.

On 17/03/2019 at 14:07, JCloughie said:

I think my storage area provides generous room.  Nevertheless, when I went there last week this is how one was parked opposite.

The jockey wheel should be in line with the slab.  

Spaces are not assigned to individuals.

IMG_2385.thumb.JPG.df0a22ee4eaac42d3d0c58b400e64cbd.JPG

John

Perhaps he hasn’t  got a motor mover anyway that’s another subject 😗..Peter

5 hours ago, JCloughie said:

Good suggestion, but I doubt it.  There is sufficient room to service without doing that.  I know, mine was done there last year including Alde fluid change.  There is a concrete area that can be used for servicing and washing etc.  There was no one with the van and the gates were locked.

People trying awnings etc just move to a flatter area.

John

The reality is no one here knows, only armchair traffic wardens and the hang em brigade condemning the parking of this caravan when it hasn't inconvenienced anyone here nor do we know the facts.

46 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

I do park at the far end of the car park :)

By parking at the far end those with mobility issues can park closer....... opps taken the wind out of your sails :)

Interesting some 3 post saying inconsiderate, none seeming to understand the reason and none offering to pay for any damage.

No explanation as to why, despite there being a number of other car parking spaces about, it is considered inconsiderate.

Surly my action is a considered action, I have considered what may happen and have taken a measure or two to avoid an issue.

The next car wont have to use two spaces, only 1, it would be the 3rd car that would "need" two spaces

Perhaps it is those that open their door against someone elses property, cause damage and walk off without paying are the inconsiderate ones?

If you have been lucky enough never to have been hit in a car park you are lucky, there are many other cars showing car park dents

come on guys, give an explanation why it is inconsiderate, ignorant and arrogant.

macafee2

you are correct, only in free car parks. Pay and display have a park fully in the space rule but fwiw, I wont park in just any space. If I consider the risk is too great I park elsewhere.

I go to the upper floors of a multi storey car park, far end of car park from shop, end space, parallel park, park further away and walk.

If I could park in two spaces, I'd happily pay for two tickets.

How many tickets do I need for a car and trailer, that will take up two spaces.

macafee2

I do exactly the same, as far away from the supermarket door as possible and use 2 spaces if there are plenty of empty ones. Range Rover doesnt easily fit in a normal space and due to my height etc I need to open the door fully to get in / out.

You are being considerate, numpties just cant see it though.

17 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

It breaks down a simple formula - 

You have one car which should occupy one parking space, occupying more than one space is selfish and inconsiderate to others users of the carpark.

You could arrive and the carpark could be almost empty, when you come back the carpark  could be full,  meaning one person has been unable to park because of your actions.

Likewise GPS YOU have no way of knowing the circumstances or the likelyhood of that happening either, exampl turn up at the supermarket 30 minutes before closing the likelyhood of the car park filling up is zero. Livi is NOT being inconsiderate at all, he's thinking things through sensibly and properly for the protection of his vehicle and with other in mind. The fact that on this thread several people cant see that really makes them the inconsiderate ones.

29 minutes ago, Livi said:

To my simple thinking, that is inconsiderate.

Agreed

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Likewise GPS YOU have no way of knowing the circumstances or the likelyhood of that happening either, exampl turn up at the supermarket 30 minutes before closing the likelyhood of the car park filling up is zero. Livi is NOT being inconsiderate at all, he's thinking things through sensibly and properly for the protection of his vehicle and with other in mind. The fact that on this thread several people cant see that really makes them the inconsiderate ones.

Agreed

It was not Lvi, but the point is to occupy two parking spaces is selfish, you are saying my car is more important than yours and I will do whatever I want without consideration of others to prevent it getting damaged.

I recall Dave Lee Travis having an Austin Allegro with tyres hung from the sides like Yokohama fended for driving round London, keeping his “nice” cars out of harms way.

1 hour ago, peterjohn said:

Perhaps he hasn’t  got a motor mover anyway that’s another subject 😗..Peter

Or much grasp of the principles surrounding logic. 

Most would look look at the other parked vans, see how THEY are aligned, and do likewise.  As someone else said “Sod you mate, I’m alright” 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Livi said:

OK, there may well be other spaces available when you park up, but you have no way of knowing how long that situation will stay the same and whether your actions will deprive someone else, possibly with mobility issues, of a parking place. 

To my simple thinking, that is inconsiderate. The fact that you have done it deliberately makes you selfish ( why is your car more important than everyone else's?).

I agree that you are not ignorant.  You know exactly what you are doing, so yes, arrogant as well probably.

I too do everything I can to avoid parking dinks and always park in the least busy parts of car parks(which usually means someone parks right alongside me anyway), but I have never and will never park across two parking spaces. I do this  out of CONSIDERATION for my fellow motorists.

HTH.

ok so you have explained, as there are always other parking spaces available then I have deprived no one of a parking space.

that's one of your reasons dealt with

I'm parked at the far end of the car park so I doubt anyone with mobility issues will park there unless its the last few spaces.

that's another of your reasons dealt with

never said my car was more important then anyone elses so why ask the questions?

There are other parking spaces so why selfish? why arrogant? calling me arrogant in this situation seems inappropriate.

If I deprive someone of the last parking space then inconsiderate but there are always other spaces .

Again no negative comment about those that damage someone else's property and walk/drive away

macafee2

46 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

It was not Lvi, but the point is to occupy two parking spaces is selfish, you are saying my car is more important than yours and I will do whatever I want without consideration of others to prevent it getting damaged.

I recall Dave Lee Travis having an Austin Allegro with tyres hung from the sides like Yokohama fended for driving round London, keeping his “nice” cars out of harms way.

I never said my car is more important then anyone elses where on earth do you get that idea from, just make it up to suit yourself?

explain why taking up two parking spaces is selfish. If your reason is cos you think I'm saying my car is more important is selfish then your argument crashes and burns as I've never said my car is more important :)

macafee2

10 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

Again no negative comment about those that damage someone else's property and walk/drive away

macafee2

That’s because it belongs in another conversation.

No one is saying it is right to damage other people property, but two wrongs never make a right!

10 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

I never said my car is more important then anyone elses where on earth do you get that idea from, just make it up to suit yourself?

explain why taking up two parking spaces is selfish. If your reason is cos you think I'm saying my car is more important is selfish then your argument crashes and burns as I've never said my car is more important :)

macafee2

Actions sometimes speak louder than words.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Amazing how some people will try and defend what is basically indefensible :rolleyes:

Andy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

ok so you have explained, as there are always other parking spaces available then I have deprived no one of a parking space.

that's one of your reasons dealt with

I'm parked at the far end of the car park so I doubt anyone with mobility issues will park there unless its the last few spaces.

that's another of your reasons dealt with

never said my car was more important then anyone elses so why ask the questions?

There are other parking spaces so why selfish? why arrogant? calling me arrogant in this situation seems inappropriate.

If I deprive someone of the last parking space then inconsiderate but there are always other spaces .

macafee2

macafee2

OK, I've tried and I've failed, as I suspected I would.

Perhaps, in these days of wide spread parking problems you can enlighten us on how to find these magic car parks where there are "always other parking spaces".

May you never find yourself in a situation where you are unable to park because other drivers have parked in your "considerate" manner.

I know I've been there, which may explain why I, and others object to it.

Keep on digging.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Amazing how some people will try and defend what is basically indefensible :rolleyes:

Andy

So there are 1000 empty spaces, he parks well away from the door taking two spaces knowing full well there is no chance the car park becoming full during the time he’s occupying two spaces. He does this to avoid getting his car damaged by carelessness of others. In what way is this wrong or inconsiderate?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

The reality is no one here knows, only armchair traffic wardens and the hang em brigade condemning the parking of this caravan when it hasn't inconvenienced anyone here nor do we know the facts.

Having used this storage site for around 4 years and knowing the owner well I am in a good position to hazard a pretty well informed conclusion.  And I stick with inconsiderate.  It must be assumed that it is inconveniencing as a place that is normally occupied is no longer available.

On this site, doing work on the van or not having a motor mover make no sense.  Even if a very poor attempt was made to site the van and the driver suffered a major medical problem which caused them to abandon.  The owner would have sorted it for them.  The owner is continually irritated by poor parking.  And is always willing to help.

I have great difficulty thinking of any logical reason.  But do accept that there could possibly be one.  In fact, it could even be that it is done deliberately to guard his neighbours place.  I know the owner would hate this as it shows bad practice.

If I had not raised the issue many would have not had the opportunity to contribute.

John

Edited by JCloughie
  • Like 1

It's another topic where people seem to have polarised views and cannot seem to see what others feels is obvious, so there's not really much point any more

2 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

So there are 1000 empty spaces, he parks well away from the door taking two spaces knowing full well there is no chance the car park becoming full during the time he’s occupying two spaces. He does this to avoid getting his car damaged by carelessness of others. In what way is this wrong or inconsiderate?

So in a car park of 60 spaces, 12 are empty at midday, does he still take  2 spaces, not being certain how long he is going to be, and is it still not inconsiderate?

Or does he park legitimately like most of us do,  because there is a fair chance the spaces will fill up?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Livi said:

So in a car park of 60 spaces, 12 are empty at midday, does he still take  2 spaces, not being certain how long he is going to be, and is it still not inconsiderate?

Or does he park legitimately like most of us do,  because there is a fair chance the spaces will fill up?

But you dont know that its a car park with only 60 spaces and 12 left. If that was the case for me I'd go elsewhere. But in the case that Ive suggested kindly explain how it's being inconsiderate.

35 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

Having used this storage site for around 4 years and knowing the owner well I am in a good position to hazard a pretty well informed conclusion.  And I stick with inconsiderate.  It must be assumed that it is inconveniencing as a place that is normally occupied is no longer available.

On this site, doing work on the van or not having a motor mover make no sense.  Even if a very poor attempt was made to site the van and the driver suffered a major medical problem which caused them to abandon.  The owner would have sorted it for them.  The owner is continually irritated by poor parking.  And is always willing to help.

I have great difficulty thinking of any logical reason.  But do accept that there could possibly be one.  In fact, it could even be that it is done deliberately to guard his neighbours place.  I know the owner would hate this as it shows bad practice.

If I had not raised the issue many would have not had the opportunity to contribute.

John

John, you may well know more facts and more about the situation than most others on here that have commented. I do find it quite amazing the number of people that can be so offended by something that really hasnt affected them in any way.

For me, with my Range Rover I will continue to take one and a half spaces as and when I park provided there is still plenty of room for all the others. I dont go to the supermarket at peak times and Christmas eve etc for this very reason. I take pride in my car, it cost me a lot and I see no reason not to do what I do, inconvenience absolutely nobody despite what some other blinkered people may think.

AJG

• Like 1

I am surprised it has not been mentioned yet, but the big problem with car parks is that spaces are barely wide enough, especially with cars and occupants getting wider but not the spaces. I am surprised though people can find free car parks any more to be able to take up 2 spaces, all the ones I come across are managed by parking companies and if you dare park outside a marked space you could get a parking charge.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Many topics on here go this way, it adds to the enjoyment of the forum. We could do with a shovel icon to help people dig themselves deeper.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I take pride in my car, it cost me a lot and I see no reason not to do what I do, inconvenience absolutely nobody despite what some other blinkered people may think.

AJG

That is the second time today someone has used the word  “blinkered” to describe someone that has a different opinion to theirs, and the term seems to used because they have not been able to convince them their view is right.

One does wonder which party is blinkered!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grandpa Steve said:

That is the second time today someone has used the word  “blinkered” to describe someone that has a different opinion to theirs, and the term seems to used because they have not been able to convince them their view is right.

One does wonder which party is blinkered!

I have asked several times as has someone else to explain how action is being inconsiderate when there are plenty of spaces in the car park before, during and after the event i.e. going in the supermarket. People keep on repeating that it's inconsiderate yet dont answer the questions asked of them hence the blinkered term. So to I can see clearly who is being blinkered without a shadow of doubt, others seem unable to take in the bigger picture which has been repeatedly explained by myself and another yet the same questions in our response go unanswered.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

I feel no need to defend myself, I have no issues parkng as i do nor does anyone else in the car park. Oddly, people on here do seem to have a problem but thats their problem, it doesnt bother me in the slightest. What I do does not cause them any physical problem at all.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

But you dont know that its a car park with only 60 spaces and 12 left. If that was the case for me I'd go elsewhere. But in the case that Ive suggested kindly explain how it's being inconsiderate.

For me, with my Range Rover I will continue to take one and a half spaces as and when I park provided there is still plenty of room for all the others. I dont go to the supermarket at peak times and Christmas eve etc for this very reason. I take pride in my car, it cost me a lot and I see no reason not to do what I do, inconvenience absolutely nobody despite what some other blinkered people may think.

AJG

I don't really have a problem with people taking up 2 spaces in a large deserted car park that is likely to stay that way, but neither do I see the perceived need to do so in that situation🤔

I also have a large fairly expensive car which I take a pride in and try to look after it, but I also live in a world which involves sometimes having to use busy car parks and get frustrated by selfish drivers who aggravate the situation by grabbing two spaces for themselves.

How anyone can argue that this is not inconsiderate is beyond me.

Must be my blinkers getting in the way.

Edited to add: 

The busy car park situation is part of the bigger picture which you, in turn, appear to be blinkered to. 

It it may be that you have the luxury of being able to totally avoid busy car parks, but can you at least see how this type of selfish parking would be an issue in a busy car park scenario.

Believe me , I've been confronted with it often.

Edited by Livi
Reacting to a newer post
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

IF it's not inconsiderate to use two spaces, then it's not inconsiderate for EVERYONE to do the same and use two spaces thus reducing the capacity by half - does that logic make it inconsiderate?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

John, you may well know more facts and more about the situation than most others on here that have commented.

This is true.  Hence the topic and my replies thus far.

I do find it quite amazing the number of people that can be so offended by something that really hasnt affected them in any way.

Now I see that as your problem, sorry.

I have deliberately avoided the side discussion re cars.  Pease don't bring me in on it.  It has only peripheral connection with the topic.

John

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Livi said:

I don't really have a problem with people taking up 2 spaces in a large deserted car park that is likely to stay that way, but neither do I see the perceived need to do so in that situation🤔

The only reason for doing it (and you do raise a good point) is that some people, despite being in a nigh on empty car park will go and park alongside. :D

22 minutes ago, Livi said:

I also have a large fairly expensive car which I take a pride in and try to look after it, but I also live in a world which involves sometimes having to use busy car parks and get frustrated by selfish drivers who aggravate the situation by grabbing two spaces for themselves.

In a busy car park I would agree with you 100%, Im in a situation where I dont have to use busy car parks and when theyre likely to be busy I avoid them.

13 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

IF it's not inconsiderate to use two spaces, then it's not inconsiderate for EVERYONE to do the same and use two spaces thus reducing the capacity by half - does that logic make it inconsiderate?

BG you know full well what Im saying, simply that if theres a 100 cars in a car park with a 1000 spaces it's not causing anyone a problem, not even you. Perhaps it's inconsiderate that you tow your caravan around using up road space that others could use?