Sign in to follow this  
Les Medes

CMC Site Prices

We have booked Hunters Moon for seven nights in early April, not Easter week, we go every year at this time and was astounded how their prices have increased over the years, our cost came to £223 a whopping £32.87 per night,( not a serviced pitch) I am trying to convince Mrs M that we should cancel and book Wareham Forest Park  saving £50 for the week. Have others found the CMC pricing themselves out of the market, In Spain we pay the equivalent of £13.00 per night on a serviced pitch with the site having superior facilities, also another £100 gets us a Tunnel Crossing, food for thought for any other future bookings with the CMC   

I agree that they are expensive.

We have recently returned from a 4 night stay at the C&CC site at Sandringham which cost about £78. For the same period the cost at the adjacent CMC site would have been £85. 

I accept that the electricity charges now account for about £5 per 24hrs but these charges are pricing us out of the market. 

If our health was better we would be heading south by now. 

We seldom use CMC sites any more unless necessary as too expensive.  We have now found that many commercial sites are cheaper and have more facilities than CMC sites which are still very much from the 1920's.  Many of these commercial sites are on par with CMC standards.  So yes the CMC are pricing themselves out of the market.

IMHO by allowing booking without a deposit weekends are fully booked at many sites thus preventing someone who wants to stay for 7 or more days from booking.  The consequence is that the CMC is fairly empty during the week while the commercial site which asks for a deposit down the road is full.  This is only my opinion and not a wish to start the deposit argument all over again.

• Thanks 1

All the clubs price their sites individually against what they consider to be their local competition with similar facilities. However they also know that they have a more or less captive market in their membership and that many folk won't go anywhere but a CC or C&CC site.

We recently priced up a fairly standard holiday cottage for a four night break (around £350), CC site 1 (£130), CC site 2 (£66), Old Oaks Std Pitch £119, Super Pitch £131, Premier Pitch £141, CL £68.

We're members because we like CLs, Mayday and the clubs perks and discounts, the club sites are ok for those who can afford or need them :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh and Old Oaks Shepherds Hut £380, Cedar Lodge £436, Cedar Lodge with hot tub £536.

So a price range between £66 and £536 for the same 4 nights but note that one CC site charges £66 and another £130. So pick your site carefully if you're on a budget.. 

39 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

In Spain we pay the equivalent of £13.00 per night on a serviced pitch with the site having superior facilities,

Pretty irrelevant regarding charges in Spain if a comparison is to be made.

4 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

We're members because we like CLs, Mayday and the clubs perks and discounts, the club sites are ok for those who can afford or need them :)

+1

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

CMC sites which are still very much from the 1920's

A slight exaggeration perhaps.  I did not start caravanning until 60 years later at the start of the 80s and the club has certainly developed its sites since the D. :)

• Thanks 1

We only use CMC sites and every year notice the price increases, we only have a limited budget to spend on caravanning, we have looked at some CMC CL the descriptions and photos look good on the CMC website, but we were a bit disappointed when compared the CMC main sites the downside we are using the caravan less and booking less CMC main sites. We are now reaching the stage like many of our friends of being priced out of the market.

My observation of the Caravan  Club's site pricing is that it's been increasing significantly above the rate of inflation every year for several decades - and yet most club sites experience high pitch occupancy rates with members complaining they can't get pitches when they want, so from a purely commercial point of view, the prices aren't high enough yet!

Personally, I dislike the uniformity and regimentation which many like and don't feel the need to pay for toilets/showers when the caravan's facilities are adequate so we use CLs and smaller commercial sites - thank goodness for choice!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

A slight exaggeration perhaps.  I did not start caravanning until 60 years later at the start of the 80s and the club has certainly developed its sites since the D. :)

I was referring to facilities as only site with extra facilities is I think Sandy Balls and that is very expensive?  BTW we are not into loud music, cabarets, etc but like to go for a drink and some food without having to worry about driving back.  Plus it would be nice if a swimming pool is available.

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

We have booked Hunters Moon for seven nights in early April, not Easter week, we go every year at this time and was astounded how their prices have increased over the years, our cost came to £223 a whopping £32.87 per night,( not a serviced pitch) I am trying to convince Mrs M that we should cancel and book Wareham Forest Park  saving £50 for the week. Have others found the CMC pricing themselves out of the market, In Spain we pay the equivalent of £13.00 per night on a serviced pitch with the site having superior facilities, also another £100 gets us a Tunnel Crossing, food for thought for any other future bookings with the CMC   

some school Half term price.

Being cheap, I stay on cheaper CL/CS where possible and don't use EHU during the warmer months. I tend to use EHU at this time of year, because I can use the electric for heating, so I get my money's worth from the EHU. I have refillable gas cylinders, so in the warmer months I use very cheap propane for what little heating I need and with the longer days, the solar panel keeps the battery charged enough to run the lights and water pump etc, so I don't need EHU and thereby save another few pounds per night. It's possible to reduce the expense by quite a considerable amount, with a little planning and preparation. :D

11 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I was referring to facilities as only site with extra facilities is I think Sandy Balls and that is very expensive?  BTW we are not into loud music, cabarets, etc but like to go for a drink and some food without having to worry about driving back.  Plus it would be nice if a swimming pool is available.

Sandy Balls is not a CMC site. I think that there is one CMC site with pool and restaurant/bar, one with pool and one more with restaurant/bar.  None of which interests me. 

Gave up on club sites years ago, they are slowly pricing themselves out of the market. They've also been discriminating against Caravans long before the name change, funny how wardens give preferential treatment to motorhomes by reserving hardstanding pitches, (I thought that was against club rules 😉) we all pay the same price and please don't anybody say that Caravans don't get bogged down on grass pitches. It's either CL's for us or private sites that can manage a booking system that allows you to book grass or hardstanding pitches, which the club cannot seem to operate because it confuses the members. 😂

I agree that Club site prices are increasing at an alarming rate. I see that their “Easter” prices start on 5th April, to ensure they capture all variations of school holiday dates. Just when you think you’ll grab a quiet week away before the rush starts you get clobbered by the higher prices. 😡

4 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

I agree that Club site prices are increasing at an alarming rate. I see that their “Easter” prices start on 5th April, to ensure they capture all variations of school holiday dates. Just when you think you’ll grab a quiet week away before the rush starts you get clobbered by the higher prices. 😡

4 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

Some schools break up for Easter (now a two week break) until Friday 4th and some schools don't  resume until 29th, so the "avoid" period is 25 days. 

Wareham Forest Park is a nice site with direct access to the forest and, if my memory serves me right as it is a few years since we were last there, it has a number of serviced pitches if that is something you would be interested in.

That’s why I tend to holiday across the channel and use ACSI  sites. As we are fortunate in being able to “out of season” and to go for 4+ weeks at a time, the savings are pretty substantial, and yes I know I have to also consider the ferry costs but Club Voyage membership with BF helps (anyone need to be my “friend?”) , along with being only 25 miles from Poole and 90 from Portsmouth.

Besides France is MUCH nicer! 

Andy

p.s. I agree, CMC site charges are very high, but as long as they maintain high occupancy they will continue to charge as much as they can, I would!! 

26 minutes ago, Clubman said:

Wareham Forest Park is a nice site with direct access to the forest and, if my memory serves me right as it is a few years since we were last there, it has a number of serviced pitches if that is something you would be interested in.

I've just checked and for the 4 nights I was looking at Wareham Forest would charge £121 for a Superior Pitch and £106 for a Standard Pitch. So well above the £66 being charged by one CC site and around the same price as the other CC site is charging.

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We used to go to Sandy Balls every year when our Children were little and returned there for the last two years. They are now ruining the site IMO, they're ripping out most of the hedge boundaries and putting huge cabins everywhere. The cabins are ridiculously expensive and last year it was very noisy with the main offenders being in the glamping areas. The new owners are obviously not interested in accommodating touring caravans any more. We won't be going there again.

Shame.

John  

Like almost everything else to do with caravanning, it pays to “Shop around a bit”

Andy

U.K. sites appear to be going the same way as many foreign ones. That is away from touring pitches and into cabins etc. Of course cabins can be rented out all year round regardless of the weather, whilst the season for touring pitches is pretty short.  

Doesn’t help us tourers in the summer though, but of course the income from us is small in comparison to cabins.

Andy