Sign in to follow this  
Oxyotl

Extra Wide Door?

Posted (edited)

Sourcing an extra wide door 

Looking to increase the width of entry in our van but it seems nigh on in impossible to source a wide or disabled access door & frame except through the big disability caravan custom companies who charge an abhorrent amount of money. 

Has anyone come across them before new or second hand?

Edited by Oxyotl

Pretty much all caravan stuff is expensive compared to domestic equivalents.

Pretty much all disability aids are expensive compared to standard items.

Pretty much all low volume manufactured goods are expensive compared to mass market items.

Triple whammy!

You also need to be careful that fitting a wider door involves significant structural work to the van because the existing re-enforcing battens will need to be replaced or repositioned. 

You have my sympathy.  We also looked for a new caravan with a wide door when moving from an adapted motorhome. It looks as though you have already looked at Coachbuilt UK (ex Avondale employees I believe) who look professional, but expensive as you say.

In the motorhome market Autotrail and Benimar do/have produced models adapted with wide doors, so you may be lucky at a breakers? 

With motorhomes the converted vehicle attracts zero rated VAT, so the savings cover the cost of the conversion (with caravans only the conversion cost is zero rated).

There seem to be variations in the width of "standard" caravan doors. When we were looking we went armed with a rule and found that the door on the Bailey was significantly wider than others. The flyscreen intrudes a cm or two on either side, so my next job is to remove this as we don't intend to use it (advice will be sought later). The extra width will be significant for someone with a disability.

I wish you luck with your search.

Clive

I know that the swift challenger 2010 we had , the door was about 3 inches wider than normal, but the other 'vans we've had and looked at , we've never seen one with a wider door. The only ones I've seen on site have been custom made to accommodate a wheelchair.

I don't know about other manufacturers but I do know that Avondale used to offer a wide door option on some models if ordered directly from the factory. I believe they viewed this as a service as there was little profit left for the manufacturer if the interior had to be redesigned to accommodate a door wide enough for a wheel chair.

I know that our friends had a converted Leda Pennine model, where the kitchen unit was cut down slightly to allow for the larger door, necessitating relocation of the fridge to the other side of the caravan to where part of the wardrobe was. One of the rear side seats was also removed to allow a wheelchair to manoeuvre, and the washroom wall made to hinge clear to give better access there.

Gordon